Four out of four

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Four out of four

Post by comrade powell on Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:40 pm

Another great battling performance tonight. Maidenhead were easily the best of the teams we have faced so far and will feel they should have gone home with at least a point. But they were facing a team who are showing great character all over the pitch. Special well done to Coupey, crowning his 300th appearance for City with the decisive goal. Happy days!
comrade powell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Four out of four

Post by Corstonian on Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:49 pm

After 80 minutes I was thinking that, while sometimes a draw at home is 2 points lost, this was definitely 1 point gained. So to end up with all 3 points shows some real resolve and determination in our players - great to see the spirit of a few years back visible out there on the pitch again. Nice to see a reasonable crowd for an evening game as well.

Corstonian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown on Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:50 pm

Yes, a sterling performance.  Wonderful reverse cross from Nicholson, who was running back, to set up the winner.
Strangely quiet on here.
I hear Coupey's off on his hols now.
2weirdtown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash on Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:55 pm

Much improved performance from the Wealdstone game.  Two periods mid way through each half when City looked a bit shaky but weathered the storm.

Exciting entertainment worthy of  8 / 10.

The key player tonight was Kevin Nicholson, it has been a long time since we had such a sweet left footed full back. (Not taking anything away from Coupey Dog, a tower of strength). cheers
Beau Nash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:08 pm

2weirdtown wrote:
I hear Coupey's off on his hols now.

Hopefully in St Albans!
comrade powell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior on Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:19 pm

It was the first time we had beaten a side managed by Alan Devonshire since eight years ago to this day, a 2-0 win against Hampton & Richmond.

Scorer of the second goal that day? Matt Coupe...
stillmanjunior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman on Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:23 pm

We are living the dream for sure. 648 is a decent crowd esp for midweek. Win games and they will come ! Bring on St.Albans.

Luton Roman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit on Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:55 pm

Luton Roman wrote:We are living the dream for sure. 648 is a decent crowd esp for midweek. Win games and they will come ! Bring on St.Albans.
See you in the Mermaid then, M25 traffic permitting.
kermit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:26 am

I am going to be the voice of doom and say that, for the second home game running and possibly the fourth game running, we won despite being up against it. I think that the team have gelled well, McCootie has started brilliantly and Nicholson and Davies have also done well but every single match we are up against it and rely upon Phillips (who didn't have the greatest match tonight).

There is a saying that champions win games while not playing well and, hopefully, that is what we are doing presently. Mind you, I am not sure that I want us promoted this season, that is how much of a pessimist I am.
Marc Monitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie on Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:51 am

Not sure what Phillips did wrong tonight. He could do nothing about their goal and for all their possession he didn't have a lot else to do.

That said I agree that we weren't great, though for a spell at the end of the first half and early in the second we played well. That aside Maidenhead were the better side and certainly can feel hard done by they didn't get at least a point.

Having been very impressed with Davies in pre-season I've felt it hasn't quick clicked for him yet. I think a goal might settle him down so hopefully that will arrive on Saturday.

Coupey has been a revelation and was deservedly motm again tonight, the winning goal the icing on the cake. We will certainly miss him whilst he is away.

The crowd was certainly impressive for a Tuesday evening and just backs up my view that for all the posters, facebook threads, tweets, exciting but hard done by wingers, attractive football, etc, what really gets people down to the ground is the team winning football matches.

yuffie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster on Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:30 am

Just got back from my first game of the season. It was interesting to take a look at the new boys with Phillips most impressing for me. He did everything calmly with assurance. Davies did nothing except win the penalty and there was little evidence of the brilliance we attained at times during our trophy run last season. However it was an entertaining game with both teams spurning clear chances and a battle for us against a very well organised side. I too was hoping for a draw before the dramatic finish. I have to say I also was not keen on getting Coupe back. I think it is usually a mistake to go back, but he was excellent tonight. I don't know about the idea that he is helping out, it would be hard to let him go after that performance. He talks constantly to his other defenders, as does Phillips, and held the defence together against quite an assault.

The goal was a magic moment. A perfect cross and a perfectly timed run. Other highlights were a fantastic game for Nick McCootie whose touch, pace, physicality and vision was excellent right up to his substitution. Watkins little cameo at the end should remind us of what a skilful and intelligent player he is, and Artus takes a fine penalty.

My main gripe would be that we played a very narrow game, making the pitch seem much smaller than it is. This was obviously a tactic to try and stifle Maidenhead, but it mostly stifled us, because when we broke forward there were so few options available that we kept on giving the ball away.

The perfect finale and resolution showed by the players should have given all the home fans a real boost. It certainly made me feel like the long journey was worth it.

the demon headmaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:49 am

Well said, Demon. Many of the players looked shattered at the end of Saturday's game and I was very surprised a couple started last night. It's always a mad start to the season and the absence of a midweek game after Saturday will be very welcome.

Talking of exciting, but hard done by wingers, there was an example of one in the stand last night. Considering the very ordinary start to the season by his new club, I wonder if a little bit of him wishes he was part of the jubilant scenes at the final whistle!
comrade powell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:50 am

Agree with all that demon.

My MOM by a country mile was McCootie but accept that it was always going to be Coupey.

Davies has got to do more than go down very easily. His contribution was virtually zero and especially so when we didn't have the ball. Watkins did more in five minutes.

We always play narrow so no surprise there and yes the main reason why we struggled at times was because there was so little link up between the strikers and the midfield. McCootie was winning more than his fair share of balls up front but had to wait for the midfield to get up to him. Personally I would prefer to see Williams on the park as he links well with the strikers but he is obviously seen as a direct replacement for Artus.

It is a shame we couldn't have kept Mellor to learn from Philips.
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:51 am

Sorry that sounds a bit negative. It was a great win and hopefully will bring back the crowds.
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:52 am

comrade powell wrote:Well said, Demon. Many of the players looked shattered at the end of Saturday's game and I was very surprised a couple started last night. It's always a mad start to the season and the absence of a midweek game after Saturday will be very welcome.

Talking of exciting, but hard done by wingers, there was an example of one in the stand last night. Considering the very ordinary start to the season by his new club, I wonder if a little bit of him wishes he was part of the jubilant scenes at the final whistle!

Stearn?
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown on Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:55 am

Yes, a reality check may be in order. Although we look better organised and fitter than last season, we've not ever been in control in the 4 games so far. They've been very even games and could have gone either way. Just for a change we seem to have got the rub of the green and hopefully we now have a platform on which to build a good season.
Any news of Luke Matthews?
2weirdtown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:57 am

Yes, Ross was at last night's match. He asked after Yuffie...
comrade powell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:07 am

Also, six different players have already netted for us this season.

It took until November for that to happen last season...when we beat Maidenhead 4-0.
stillmanjunior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timbo_b-o-a on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:48 am

BenE wrote:
comrade powell wrote:Well said, Demon. Many of the players looked shattered at the end of Saturday's game and I was very surprised a couple started last night. It's always a mad start to the season and the absence of a midweek game after Saturday will be very welcome.

Stearn?

Indeed. Whatever people think of Stearn I though it was quality of him to come along last night, walking around the ground and talking to fans.
Timbo_b-o-a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown on Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:05 pm

Sutton's game v Truro on Monday featured 9 yellows and 2 reds amid much refereeing controversy. Just when I thought the refs might be 'making allowances' this season and letting games flow.
2weirdtown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman on Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:08 pm

As a now ex-ref my sympathies are with the refs in that we all want games to flow but that of course leads to inconsitencies depending on interpretation, when what all fans constantly want is consistency.

Luton Roman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:51 pm

personally I'd rather not see consistently bad.
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:32 pm

2weirdtown wrote:Yes, a reality check may be in order.  Although we look better organised and fitter than last season, we've not ever been in control in the 4 games so far.  They've been very even games and could have gone either way.  Just for a change we seem to have got the rub of the green and hopefully we now have a platform on which to build a good season.

This is very true. In both the home games I would have been relieved with a draw and was ecstatic with the win. It sounded, from the radio commentary, that that wasn't a convincing win either. I think that Phillips has kept us in a couple of games also.
Marc Monitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum