Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reflection on Players of the Season and moving forward...

+4
BenE
Mcnulty
Marc Monitor
DashingTW
8 posters

Go down

Reflection on Players of the Season and moving forward... Empty Reflection on Players of the Season and moving forward...

Post by DashingTW Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:48 pm

Hey y'all,

Although still hoping we can hit play-offs this season, our chances now seem to be slipping away as you all know. So I guess we should reflect on our season and some of our key players of the season and some areas we need to work on for next season.

For me personally, I think Ross Stearn has been awesome for us this season, with his talented set pieces and tricky dribbling. But im sticking with ma pal Sekani as our solid player of the season.

Regarding areas to work on, I believe we should try and look to broaden our attacking options, I would like to see us bring in a creative left winger (someone like myself for Chippenham Park FC Wink lol) but in all seriousness, as noticed in a previous post, Low and Brown are on the older side and don't look as though they can offer much on the left. Would love to know your thoughts on areas to work on for next season and whether we can aim realistically for Play-offs. Also, how do we operate in terms of transfers or is it generally a free transfer policy in level 6 of the pyramid due to budgets?

DashingTW
DashingTW

Back to top Go down

Reflection on Players of the Season and moving forward... Empty Re: Reflection on Players of the Season and moving forward...

Post by Marc Monitor Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:02 am

Big fan of Simmo and Stearn and, for enthusiasm, work-rate and never giving up on anything, Pratt - despite his shortcomings.

However, for me, it has to be Mellor. He has saved or gained us so many points. Terrible distribution though.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Reflection on Players of the Season and moving forward... Empty Re: Reflection on Players of the Season and moving forward...

Post by Mcnulty Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:38 am

Stearn is my favourite player but, as alluded to in other topics on the forum hasnt really started enough games.
I think big Jase has been our most consistent performer. his kicking continues to be shocking but then if it wasnt it I suspect he might be playing at a higher level!
Simmo like Stearn hasnt really played enough albeit for different reasons. Front two of Pratt and Watkin have worked their socks off and i think both are quality players at this level. Elsewhere Keats has had his moments and Danny Ball is one of our best players and we missed him when he was out injured. Bowman, looked a million dollars when he first came into the team and i think the management need to show him a bit more love and keep faith with him. Unless he is injured I dont understand him being an unused sub when the much maligned Brown is shattered in the last twenty (60) minutes of a game and looking very vulnerable.
To be positive , some of our players have had very good seasons ( dare i say it but the recently departed Preece was looking like having his best season for Bath!). what we need in my opinion is to hang on to our best players and bring in a midfield general and a grizzled big lump of a centre half. i'd let Brown, Low and probably Adelsbury go to make way. burnell is still an asset if he can remain fit but thats a big 'if' and maybe too much of a gamble with a smallish squad. I'd love us to keep Stearn as I think at this level a little bit of magic can make the difference but the lad needs regular football and sadly we cant seem to provide that for him. We seem to indulge certain players but require very high standards of others. I must admit, although i acknowledge his dip in form, I dont understand the critiscism of Stearn being inconsistent. As with Mellor, if he was perfect then we probably wouldnt be able to hold onto him!

Mcnulty

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:10 am

I don't really want to talk about who we should let go while the season is ongoing. That is somehting for the management to think about. But I think it is worth giving praise where it is due.

I don't think Mellor has been as good as last season overall. But he is like an extra defender when the ball is crossed into the box which is fortunate given our lack of height. He has tried to throw out much more but too often there's not an outlet for him to do so. But his diving throw earlier on which resulted in a goal is one of the moments of the season.

Gallinagh has been superb in recent weeks especially. You could ask no more of him. Simmo has been solid as usual despite having to play as a centre half for many games. Ball and Watkin showed their value most when they were out injured. We weren't the same team.

The same can be said for Burnell. It really is a shame he can't keep fit but we probably wouldn't be able to keep him if he could. I love Connolly and Keats but they struggle without Joe alongside them. He has been terrific.

Dave Pratt is a great player to have in the side. He works his nadgers off, has a great touch and contributes his fair share of goals.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:00 pm

BenE wrote:his diving throw earlier on which resulted in a goal is one of the moments of the season.

Forgot about that, Ben. Excellent.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie Hitler Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:46 am

Ross has been nowhere near consistent enough for me.
Mellor or Preece.
Eddie Hitler
Eddie Hitler

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:11 pm

he's kept a consistent warm spot on the bench
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:28 pm

Be interesting to see who wins the Players' and Supporters' Player of the Year for this season. I think it'll be a pretty tight vote. I'd probably go for Dan Ball, be amazed if he's not playing at a higher level soon (though selfishly hope he stays put).
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by lodds Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:59 pm

For me player of the season is probably Pratt, his work rate is incredible, his first touch is great, he creates space for Watkins and Stern brilliantly and apart from the last few weeks, his scoring record has been pretty good. Have to admit i was disappointed at the start of the season when they let Griffin go to bring Pratt in, but have to admit, this is one thing the management team definitely got right.
lodds
lodds

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:39 am

but they would have done even better if they had retained griffin as well.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down