Joe McClennan?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Joe McClennan?

Post by Roman Mike on Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:00 pm

in the absence of any news from the club I guess we have to piece it together ourselves again...
Turns out he is training with WSM (according to their manager on the WSM FB page)
I make it he played 122mins in friendlies
v Bristol City 77 mins
v Newport 45 mins
I guess we might know by the time we play them on 31st August
Roman Mike

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Joe McClennan?

Post by comrade powell on Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:50 pm

Was he any good in those friendlies? (yes, I was at the Bristol City game but only stayed awake for about 10 minutes of it!) From what I remember of him, I couldn't help feeling that he'd spend more time on the bench than the pitch as he seemed a like for like replacement for Stearn.
comrade powell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie on Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:54 pm

What official news is there for the club to give? As Weston have said he hasn't signed for them yet, so if he does no doubt then it will be announced. We aren't a Premier League side was every possible transfer rumour gets dissected. The club announces news when it has actually happened.

As for the player himself, it almost seems to me that, having signed him, we then also got Jon Davies who looks a better player and plays in the same position. If Weston want him back then that could free up some money for a centre-back.

yuffie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:50 pm

Certainly Jon Davies looks a better player. McLennan spent most of the Bristol match shouting and pointing although he did look better against Newport without really making a great impact.

Having said this Stearn didn't really make any impact during the friendlies when he first arrived. But he soon started scoring sufficient goals to justify his permanent place on the bench.

Given that the club makes a loss every season I'm not sure the expression - free up some money - comes into it. Very Happy
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike on Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:27 pm

yuffie wrote:What official news is there for the club to give? As Weston have said he hasn't signed for them yet, so if he does no doubt then it will be announced. We aren't a Premier League side was every possible transfer rumour gets dissected. The club announces news when it has actually happened.

As for the player himself, it almost seems to me that, having signed him, we then also got Jon Davies who looks a better player and plays in the same position. If Weston want him back then that could free up some money for a centre-back.

For me, its not about dissecting every rumour, its basic comms that are missing which is disrespectful alienating. It wouldn't hurt to mention that an apparent key signing is now training with the club he came from. Instead, we find out from that team's FB page. That is hardly a rumour.
I also don't understand the Jon Davies explanation. Agree JD looks a good signing but are they really that similar. I genuinely don't know. If they are, then why did we sign both? It all seems very odd if a player signs and then leaves before the season starts. And there is no info from the club.
Roman Mike

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie on Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:11 am

I think there's only one club here who are being disrespectful and it isn't City. What if he doesn't go back to Weston and decides to stay with City? That would appear unlikely but it seems unprofessional to reveal another team's player is training with you until a deal has been made.

I guess it's just a reflection of the times that we think we have to know everything immediately rather than just having a bit of patience.

As for Davies, it is purely speculation on my part but given that he had attracted interest from much bigger clubs than us maybe City didn't expect to sign him so took a punt on McClennan as a replacement for Stearn. When it turned out we did get Davies then maybe McClennan decided he'd rather go back to Weston where he'll be guaranteed a starting place.

On the plus side I hadn't got around to writing his pen pic yet so haven't wasted any time there.

yuffie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:51 am

Roll on 8 August and an end to the annual phoney war.
comrade powell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Palms on Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:17 am

yuffie wrote:
On the plus side I hadn't got around to writing his pen pic yet so haven't wasted any time there.

If he comes back I'll do it for you Rolling Eyes
Palms

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior on Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:18 am

I can remember McClennan having a few things to say when we were at Bridgwater in the cup, he was saying how much they were going to win etc, was a bit like he had it in for us.

Then he joins us and around 44 days later possibly moves on. It's a very poor sequel to The Damned United...
stillmanjunior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie on Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:58 am

Palms wrote:
yuffie wrote:

If he comes back I'll do it for you Rolling Eyes

Back in the days of the unofficial website ... Cool

yuffie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:52 pm

If McLennan really was brought in as a direct replacement for Stearn then he looks a little lightweight in the backside department. He'll need a bit of padding to absorb all those splinters from the bench.
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior on Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:13 pm

Sleep
stillmanjunior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie on Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:43 pm

Sleep

yuffie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:08 pm

You may find this topic boring but virtually everyone I talk to rues the fact that Stearn didn't play often enough last season. Furthermore my point is that there seems little point in keep bringing in this type of player. The dynamic duo never use them properly. They would be better off spending the money on someone else who can run all day. Or a second goalkeeper.
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve on Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:39 am

BenE wrote:You may find this topic boring but virtually everyone I talk to rues the fact that Stearn didn't play often enough last season. Furthermore my point is that there seems little point in keep bringing in this type of player. The undynamic duo never use them properly. They would be better off spending the money on someone else who can run all day. Or a second goalkeeper.

or is it single (manager) now - haven't seen much of Howells lately. Is it too much to hope he has abandoned his post for good? If he hasn't, what good will he be to manage a squad he hasn't seen pre-season?
Midsomer-steve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior on Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:05 am

He's on holiday, I believe his wife is a teacher so like last season the time they go away often co-includes with friendlies.

But I'm sure that's probably his fault as well.
stillmanjunior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:22 am

I assumed he just didn't like friendlies... Wink
comrade powell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior on Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:36 am

You've done it now - people will actually believe that and it'll spread like wildfire!
stillmanjunior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus on Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:26 am

stillmanjunior wrote:He's on holiday, I believe his wife is a teacher so like last season the time they go away often co-includes with friendlies.

But I'm sure that's probably his fault as well.

I thought it was due to people's hair growing more in the summer and him being extra busy.

Steve Whites Missus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top