Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paul Bodin

+13
Micawber
Steve Whites Missus
bathtime
Dave
BenE
stillmanjunior
yuffie
comrade powell
kermit
Ashley
SASCHA
Marc Monitor
pete mac
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Paul Bodin  Empty Paul Bodin

Post by pete mac Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:33 pm

In the build up to Wales game versus Belgium a Paul Bodin feature on the BBC website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24962509

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Paul Bodin  Empty Re: Paul Bodin

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:59 pm

He can piss off.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Paul Bodin  Empty paul bodin

Post by SASCHA Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:04 pm

What the hell is that all about from Marc Monitor ?

SASCHA

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:08 am

Could it be something to do with this:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/24962509

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:24 am

I think Marc's remark will piss off the vast majority of our fans
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:47 am

Although I wasn't impressed with the way his stint as manager ended, Paul is one of the best players I have ever seen in a City shirt. His goal tally for us is even more impressive when it's remembered many were scored when he played in defence. His goal at Ashton Gate is one of my favourite City memories and the ovation he got at the recent Legends Night shows he's still remembered with much affection.

Withdraw your comments, Marc - I mean, I could have stood up and booed Ollie at the Guildhall for helping Millwall go down!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:55 am

Yes the way his managerial stint ended was abysmal but his two stints as a player were memorable. And watching him play for Wales meant I could say to mates.....'he played for City he did'

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:24 am

I imagine he would be in many supporters best all-time City XIs (certainly mine) but I can understand that he may be less popular amongst our Welsh friends.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:44 am

I have a lot of time for Paul. Didn't see him play in his first spell but still thought he was a class act in his second. We had some cracking results under his management as well. And he's a great bloke, enjoyed his company at the Legends Evening.

If we held a grudge against every Englishman for missing a vital penalty we'd spend more time booing players than cheering.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:36 am

Firstly, I don't think that English supporters will ever have empathy with how Wales supporters feel about our close misses at qualifying. You pretty much always qualify and then do badly but, at least, you get there.

Bodin, at the time, of his penalty against Leicester is reported to have said that that penalty was more important than the one against Romania. Whether that is true or not, Martin's link suggests that he thinks differently which is fair play. I have absolutely no problem with him missing the penalty at all. Someone had to take it.

In these situations, I tend to think that, if you are relying upon one penalty, you probably deserve to have your fate decided on a lottery. Southall's and Yorath's statements attest to the fact that there were other mistakes and, obviously, if you are in a team, you have to think that.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:46 am

Totally disagree about qualifying for tournaments. Better not to get there than to be the embarrassment which has been England for just about every finals since the 80s. And the usual nonsense in the media is already starting about France 16.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:40 pm

So Marc what exactly is your beef with Bodin?

Comrade what about Italia 90?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:40 pm

or indeed 96?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:52 pm

Marc Monitor wrote:Bodin, at the time, of his penalty against Leicester is reported to have said that that penalty was more important than the one against Romania.  

I'm just imagining the scenes if after missing that penalty against Turkey whatever year it was, and 0-0 being enough to see England not qualify, David Beckham had then said some goal he scored for Man Utd was more important. I don't think my imagination can do it justice.
Despite that, as others have said I've got a lot of time for Bodin, quality player for us even at the end of his career and has often returned to the club to lend his support at fundraising events.

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:02 pm

Benny, I did say 'just about every finals since the 80s'. I suppose Italia 90 was the exception, but remember England were almost unwatchable in the group stage, managing to win the group with just 2 goals scored. Some momentum was picked up in the Belgium and Cameroon games but it ended in typical gung ho style against the Germans.

In fact those penalty shoot out defeats are probably why those 2 tournaments are remembered so fondly. An awful lot of tripe has been written about Euro 96 - 2 wins from 5 games as the host nation, one of those against the dire Scots.

England has never had a clue since '66 on how to play tournament football, usually managing one decent performance at most.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by bathtime Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:56 am

Have thought long and hard over this but i'm afraid the comment about Paul Bodin by a leading member of the BID process is totally unacceptable and the reaction from the moderators to allow it to remain on a public forum speaks volumes.
It may have done untold damage to peoples perception of this 'family' club and i for one will now be severing my ties.
Having followed this club since 1974 i've heard some utter tripe over the decades but recent events have pushed me to do more enjoyable things on a saturday in future.

bathtime

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:09 am

I agree the comment was unnecessary. We should be hoping a number of ex players / staff will feel inclined to invest.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Micawber Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:48 am

Agree with Bathtime that mm's comment was totally unacceptable . Have been seriously considering withdrawing my pledge especially as no apology has been forthcoming.

Micawber

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Tanner Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:33 am

Wow!

Ok so a comment posted 4 days ago by a Welshman, intended to be taken as a joke, has caused 4 days worth of debate and ill feeling!

Marc has a dry sense of humour and those who know him had a chuckle at that comment and knew where he was coming from (Welsh pen miss in the early 90s).

I thought we were all adults here. Saying that you no longer support the Bid is crazy talk.

If this bid fails the club will be bust at xmas time. Simple facts here.
Mark Tanner
Mark Tanner

Back to top Go down

Post by bone ash Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:05 pm

The problem is that not everyone knows him and so would not necessarily realise the post was a joke. Anyone posting online needs to be aware that words can be taken in a way the poster does not intend. A simple apology would hopefully see the end of this matter.

As a forum moderator, I would just like to respond to bathtime's post. I would agree with Mark Tanner that yours seems to be an overreaction, but you are entitled to your views like everyone else. I certainly hope you don't sever your ties with the club - we can't afford to lose such longstanding fans! I also hope you continue to post on the forum.

I'm afraid I don't understand your criticism of the moderators. Yes, the offending post could have been deleted - unfortunately several references have been made to it since. Should those posts be removed as well? Experience tells me that sometimes the best moderators of the forum are the other members. Marc Monitor has been left in no doubt what some others think of his post and should Paul Bodin (or other ex players) read this thread then I believe they will be left in no doubt that most supporters remember them with fondness and gratitude. Or maybe it is something else which 'speaks volumes'.

Thanks

forum moderator

bone ash

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:03 pm

That's it, I'm out. I withdraw my support for Bath City FC. Eric Cantona was kind enough to come to Twerton Park, meet fans and wear a City scarf. But Kyle, who supports Leeds as well as City really dislikes him and made his feelings known. I can't stand for that, and if Kyle is to continue being a Bath City fan, then I'm afraid I can't.

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:09 pm

Ok matter closed, Marc has been replaced on the bid team by a one Sepp Blatter.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:48 pm

I was so angry I put my foot through my laptop and sent Marc Monitor the bill.
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:07 pm

Sorry that probably wasn't very helpful but I do despair sometimes.

Hopefully Marc will be on here soon to "apologise for any offence caused" and we can all return our attention to avoiding a fate worse than Lansdown.

Enjoy your weekend all
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:28 pm

Bloody hell, I go away for a weekend and this happens. I think it is fairly obvious the tone of the original post and, certainly, the context. Comrade put me right with a more recent reaction to the penalty from Bodin and, in doing so, changed my mind - hence the 'fair play' comment. If that is not enough then I could apologise but to who? Is Paul Bodin on here? He is the only one who has any offence to take and I would apologise to him. However, I have to say that, as an ex-pro, he will be more experience than most at riding football supporters petty prejudices. He would know that Welsh Cardiff City supporters would have supported him at Cardiff, moaned at him for that penalty and then jeer him for joining Swindon Town. It's part of the job really. You all love him for his time at Bath City and fair play. If he had turned out for Yeovil, you wouldn't. It's the tribalism of football. I had to support Robbie Savage for years, the horror, the horror.

Onto more serious matters, I am not "a leading member of the BID process". The nature of the community process is that there is no such thing as "a leading member of the BID process". There were a few that started it off, a few of us the joined later and now that people are pledging their commitment both financially and with their time and efforts, there are even more. However, everyone is equal, whenever they joined and whatever they do. It is one share, one member, one vote, everything and everyone is equally important whether it be Oliver, Martin, Ken, me or my wife who doesn't regularly attend but has bought a share. There is no leading members and no 'VIPs'. There is an executive group - of which I am not really a part as I can't make the weekly meetings - but anyone is entitled to request to join this, as far as I know, and there will be elections to the board once the buy out goes through.

If you want to sever your ties with the bid and, indeed, the club, then that is up to you but don't use an off-the-cuff remark by someone who is not any more responsible for or representative of the Bid than anyone else as an excuse.

As far as Welsh qualification goes, I really don't think any English supporter knows what 47 years of hurt is like.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next