Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next Season's Possible New Opposition

+18
Dave
thomasmaxbaer
Steve Whites Missus
pete mac
Ashley
Dodgycarpet
BenE
LB
Jon_BOA
Luton Roman
kermit
stillmanjunior
Dusty Lynfield
Marc Monitor
Timbo_b-o-a
yuffie
comrade powell
Roy D Hacksaw
22 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Next Season's Possible New Opposition Empty Next Season's Possible New Opposition

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:13 pm

It's getting to that point of the season where we start looking to the bottom of the table above, and the top of the tables below to see which new teams we could end up playing next season. So who's in with a shout?

Looking up to the grown up Conference is a pretty simple affair. Barring weirdness, accidents or the AGM Cup, it's looking like Dartford, Welling, Telford and Nuneaton are going down - which will should leave us with another two trips round the back end of the M25 again.

The Isthmian automatic place is looking pretty Maidstone shaped, so it looks like we'll be having a run out on an artificial surface next term.

Of the teams in with a shout of the play-offs, Hendon and Margate are all but guaranteed, while Dulwich Hamlet, Enfield, Grays and The Met Police are all battling it out for the other two slots. Personally I'd prefer Dulwich here, as they've got some pretty interesting fans, but I wouldn't begrudge another trip to the seaside either.

The Southern League is looking like a more complicated affair though. Corby should go up as champs, unless something seriously weird happens, but they'll go straight up into the North.

Currently filling the play-off places are Poole, Truro, Hungerford and St Neots, with only Weymouth and Redditch in with a realistic chance of catching them. Hungerford is nice and near, and Poole or Weymouth would offer another nice day at the seaside - although I'm sure we'd like to avoid the return of a long trip to Truro.

However, if either Cambridgeshire-based St Neots or West Midlanders Redditch go up it could cause old man Strudwick to run to a second fag packet with his calculations. Both of those are more likely to go North, so we could well get someone back from our sister league - and both Gloucester and Oxford Cities would possibly fit that bill.

Of course, none of this accounts for the rumoured demise of Hayes & Yeading, or some other club folding that we never saw coming, but there's some nice possibilities of new places to visit among that little lot!

Who do you mob fancy out of that list?

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Next Season's Possible New Opposition Empty Re: Next Season's Possible New Opposition

Post by comrade powell Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:51 pm

my preferences...

coming down - Welling + Dartford (both traditional rivals, we've never played at the Darts' new place)

Isthmian - Maidstone (same as Dartford), Dulwich (unfortunately the excellent Coopers pub is no more...)

Southern - Corby to swap with Gloucester, Weymouth
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Next Season's Possible New Opposition Empty Re: Next Season's Possible New Opposition

Post by yuffie Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:04 pm

Any new grounds is fine with me, so Dartford, Maidstone, Poole/Hungerford/Redditch and Enfield/Grays/The Old Bill would suit.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:56 pm

We certainly owe the Old Bill one - we lost 6-2 on our last visit...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Timbo_b-o-a Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:44 pm

Nice overview Hacksaw.
For me:

Conf - Shame that looks a foregone conclusion, could've down with another northern team coming down to hopefully shunt Oxford C or Gloucester our way. Neither Welling or Dartford fill me with any excitement although Darty's ground looks quality.

Isthmian play offs - Margate as it would be a fun one to add to the extreme seaside stayovers list, or Dulwich as it's at least a different part of London to usual. Pseudo Police/ Grays and Enfield all sound bleak as hell.

Southern play offs - Despite being a pain to get to from the town, its got to be Weymouth for me to bring back a credible sounding fixture where you'll at least get half a crowd. 2nd choice probably Redditch get up and away into the North if it meant gaining Oxford C or Gloucester. Either of these two I think would be preferable to the other choices.
Timbo_b-o-a
Timbo_b-o-a

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:40 pm

Really would love to go to Princes Park. Gloucester, Oxford City, Met Police, Weymouth or Dulwich Hamlet would be fine as they are close and/or have other Cardiff City refuseniks supporting them or regulars at their ground.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:39 pm

I was at Enfield Town last weekend v Horchurch. Ground is pretty barren, but suppose they've only been there a couple of seasons. Fans were a bit of the Dover variety....say no more. They did have a great clubhouse set in an old Art Deco cafe though with a nice guest ale on draught. It would suit me though as just round the corner from the in-laws.
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:13 pm

Poole won tonight so it's likely to go to the final day when they face...Corby.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:11 pm

Welling have put a spanner in the works, too, with a win last night that pulled them out of the relegation slots.

They've been replaced by Alfreton - who have only Welling themselves and promotion-chasing Bristol Rovers left to play before the end of the season.

Now if THEY go down, I can't see how we're NOT getting either Gloucester or Oxford City back down South. Although stranger things have happened in this league!

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:15 pm

Logic......no chance. We will be in Conference North on that basis!!
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:13 pm

Alfreton have made their match with Welling a ' Pay what you want Game' on Saturday. Welling have now got a 74 seater coach. Should be edgy.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon_BOA Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:31 am

Oooof, the Alfreton-Welling game could be a tasty affair!

Want Welling to win that, Alfreton go down, we surely have to get a decent side in return.

With the others, am fairly ambivalent, with the exception of a preference for Weymouth.

Jon_BOA

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:45 pm

comrade powell wrote:We certainly owe the Old Bill one - we lost 6-2 on our last visit...

I am always reluctant to disagree with Martin, but the 6-2 defeat was in the 1972/73 season (when we also lost at home to them) and we beat them 2-1 away the following season. Hopefully Martin will agree this is a fair cop.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:33 pm

LB wrote:
comrade powell wrote:We certainly owe the Old Bill one - we lost 6-2 on our last visit...

I am always reluctant to disagree with Martin, but the 6-2 defeat was in the 1972/73 season (when we also lost at home to them) and we beat them 2-1 away the following season. Hopefully Martin will agree this is a fair cop.

Yes, guilty as charged, Guv!
I remember my friends trying to persuade me to go to the game, but fortunately declined. Although I can remember reading the shocking result in the Pink Un that evening the year had long escaped me. Checked it on Yuffie's all time results spreadsheet and assumed the mistake as his, but in fact I misread it!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Timbo_b-o-a Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:35 pm

With Corby leading Poole by 1 point in the Southern Prem, Poole's game in hand is at Weymouth tomorrow night (Wey need a win to be on level points with play offs). The last game of the season is Poole V Corby. What a fun climax!
Timbo_b-o-a
Timbo_b-o-a

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:15 pm

I shall be present at the Weymouth game. Hoping it's a good one. Would love Weymouth back at this level - would be a rare great day out. If it's in weather like today anyway.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:54 pm

Finished 0-0. It wasn't a good one. Poole had a goal disallowed, so one of their small gang of moronic supporters throwing a flare on the pitch looked a bit silly. Attendance was 1,090.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:12 am

Oh dear, how pathetic. Did he not see the problems caused in that game in Europe recently? They really were the most docile lot down their place as well. Doesn't look like we'll be playing the Terras next season then.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:24 pm

Weymouth's form has really dropped off, any reason why? money run out...again?

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:06 pm

They didn't look like they had enough quality in the squad for me, but the club itself seem to really getting behind the players/management. Despite their poor recent run of form they gave the players a big round of applause at the end as they did their lap of honour, and chanted Jason Matthews' name.

There are some good players there. McPhee in midfield was man-of-the-match and Yetton has scored an astonishing amount of goals this season, following on from his Truro form. I'm sure with a couple of tweaks they'll be up there next season.

As for Poole, they just seem very well organised, difficult to break down etc. It means they can grind out results, I mean in three times I've seen them this season they've only scored one goal. I expect them to get the point they need on Saturday.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:45 pm

I'm amazed that Poole's ground is deemed up to Conference standard. Dreadful floodlights and hardly any terracing.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:09 am

Right then, here's the latest ahead of this weekend's last round of games.

The Southern League is a two-horse race for automatic promotion. Both Poole and Corby are tied on 91 points, but the south coast side's goal difference is 12 points to the good. And as rather excitingly this pair are playing each other tomorrow, Poole only need to grind out a draw to take the title.

The play-off places are all but sorted. The loser of the above-mentioned tussle will fill one of the berths, while Truro and Hungerford's slots are pretty much guaranteed. The last slot will go to either St Neots or Weymouth. The Cambridgeshire side have a two point advantage, and they're both playing sides close to the relegation zone. Only a loss for St Neots and a win for Weymouth will see the Terras through.

The Isthmian's almost as cut-and-dried, as Maidstone would have to lose a 17 goal advantage if the results didn't go their way. With that in mind, both Hendon and Margate are definitely in the play-offs. Dulwich Hamlet aren't guaranteed a slot, but a point at Tonbridge Angels will clinch it. If they lose though, things could get interesting.

The last slot could go one of three ways. Enfield are currently in fifth on 73 points, The Met sixth on 72, and Grays seventh on 71. The Met have a vastly superior goal difference, and only Grays are playing opposition in the top half. That league table could change by the minute, and should be worth keeping an eye on!

As for the relegated teams, we're definitely getting Dartford back, as they're dead and buried. Nuneaton and Telford would go North. So the last relegation place is between two teams - a North one and a South one.

Welling and Alfreton are both sitting on 45 points, although the South London side's goal difference is 14 goals to the good. Welling's last game is at home to troubled Southport, while Alfreton have the tricky matter of an away trip to promotion-chasing Bristol Rovers. Eek!

So, of the ten clubs that could be moving either up or down into the Vanaramas North and South, as many as seven could be clearly from the North.

If that's the case, Oxford City, who narrowly missed out on a Conference North play off spot, are the furthest South in that league, with Gloucester City the second furthest South. Would either of them want to come down South, though? Or would they have any choice?

I don't know about you, but I'm going to be glued to the internet on the way home from the Staines game tomorrow. This is stats nerd heaven!

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:56 pm

Agreed. But to make things more interesting for us next year, I've got everything crossed for Poole, Weymouth and Glos joining us.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:39 pm

If Gloucester did come down I would hope that Strudwick made our Christmas rivalries against them and not WSM. That way we are likely to have an away game over the Christmas period that people can attend.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:41 pm

Roy D Hacksaw wrote:I don't know about you, but I'm going to be glued to the internet on the way home from the Staines game tomorrow. This is stats nerd heaven!

Super summary. Have you ever thought of becoming a sports journalist?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum