Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Retained list.

+22
SouthendRoman
Twerton Parker
LB
Roman Mike
stillmanjunior
SteveS
roscopeekotrain
SASCHA
London Calling
BenE
Midsomer-steve
Sir Ged Roddy
Steve Whites Missus
comrade powell
kermit
pete mac
2weirdtown
Eddie Hitler
yuffie
Ashley
Luton Roman
Marc Monitor
26 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Retained list.  - Page 3 Empty Re: Retained list.

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:04 pm

Please please please please please never let supporters have a say in our team, signings and/or formation. Laughing stock springs to mind. Fans can discuss it on here, on the terraces or Meet the Manager events.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:14 pm

No. The community ownership members may be able to approach the general manager or board if they have concerns but not have a vote in day to day running. If they don't like the way the club is being run, then they vote out the board and/or the general manager.

I think that the "process" is relevant. The community members vote on the processes for the day to day running of the club - who hires and fires staff, makes purchases and sales of players (and anything else, I suppose) - and trust those appointed by that process. If there is then an issue, it can be brought up with those who are appointed - whether that be a board, committee, general manager, whatever.

I expect that there are existing models that can be used as basis' of these processes and I also expect that many of the processes that we have presently will be retained for day-to-day stuff. It's the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" policy and there is much about the club that isn't broken, however much we complain and want to change some of it. Also, I am sure that many of the people in the club presently will remain in the roles, not least as they are committed supporters doing good jobs and will not only be, I am sure, community members but will be trusted by the rest who will want them to carry on.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:26 am

Sorry I've only just seen that community ownership is being discussed on this thread - but yes, Marc is right, it will be up to the members of the club to decide on the process, and it is those who are elected to the Board who are ultimately responsible and accountable for what happens at the club, on and off the pitch.

If the majority of members wanted attacking football and the Board was delivering defensive football, members could in theory vote the directors out and vote in new directors who promise attacking football, but the members can't simply 'instruct' the sitting Board or appointed manager to play 4-3-3 etc etc
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:17 pm

id keep the whole squad. certainly hope stearn stays. he will probably go though as he's always benched. which will upset a lot of fans. minutes on pitch per goals ratio is excellent.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:56 pm

Paul1978 wrote:id keep the whole squad. certainly hope stearn stays. he will probably go though as he's always benched. which will upset a lot of fans. minutes on pitch per goals ratio is excellent.

Sadly I think we can almost guarantee him going. He will certainly have a point to prove every time he comes up against us.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie Hitler Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:31 pm

Agreed
Eddie Hitler
Eddie Hitler

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:53 pm

To me, his lack of playing time is the one question that the management really need to answer. It wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't extended his contract last summer but that is like adding insult to injury.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:05 pm

I seem to remember similar assumptions 12 months ago that he would be out of here as fast as possible having struggled to hold down a starting XI place during the second half of the season.

I can see that another season where he was largely used as an impact substitute - to great success it should be said - may see him decide to try his luck elsewhere. Only time will tell.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:41 pm

The inference from Lee Howells' comments is that the intention is that players we sign will be better than the ones released, which in itself seems logical. If Ross Stearn does go it will be interesting to see where he can find a player who despite starting so few games can score 29 goals in 90 appearances, more than half as substitute.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:33 pm

That assumes Stearn is released. The way I read the posts saying that he is going are that it will be his decision.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon_BOA Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:58 am

yuffie wrote:I can see that another season where he was largely used as an impact substitute - to great success it should be said - may see him decide to try his luck elsewhere. Only time will tell.

Which is why he hasn't started that often. Glad someone has pointed it out, that off the bench he has (at times been superb) while many of his starts haven't been that good. In his defence I maybe suffering from only remembering his recent starts where he wasn't good.

I do wonder if he'll stay, more for the thoughts of where he could go that would be as good as us (and local to Bristol). FGR wouldn't want him, W-s-M is a step backwards, may be Gloucester(?), but would he fancy the long away trips, I fear he may be a tad stuck for choices (which could be brilliant for us).

Jon_BOA

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:29 pm

Jon_BOA wrote:I do wonder if he'll stay, more for the thoughts of where he could go that would be as good as us (and local to Bristol). FGR wouldn't want him, W-s-M is a step backwards, may be Gloucester(?), but would he fancy the long away trips, I fear he may be a tad stuck for choices (which could be brilliant for us).

and has a child due I think so won't want to be too far from home... and will be getting no sleep (a baby Stearn will be a handful  Laughing )!

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:25 pm

I think the players already know whether they are being being retained or not.

In my opinion we have a team that is not quite good enough and the sum of the parts is no better than a bunch of individuals. We have no leader and I suspect that is more about the management than the personnel.

They have put too much faith in Walsh that quite frankly is unjustified. They have made Gallinagh captain for some unfathomable reason. They have repeatedly not got the best out of some talented players.

They have done well with Hemmings and McCootie but there are a number of players who are worse now then they were when they came to us.

Stearn Mellor Ball Bowman Watkins Allen have all gone backwards. I cannot see any of them fulfilling their potential if they stay here. Artus has faded over the season. Diallo looked the dog's biscuit and now he doesn't.

Fortunately Dave Pratt has kept the side ticking over. He (and the cup run) has masked major deficiencies.

Don't get me wrong I like all of these as players. I think they are good players at this level. The reality is that too often we perform badly and almost never look in control.

If we keep the basis of this side we can expect the very same next season.

I would release Watkin Walsh Kington Adelsbury Allen Diallo. I think Stearn should go for his own good. I have to say so should Mellor. He needs coaching and he's not getting it but selfishly I hope he stays.

I would bring in Perry Shipp and Gibbons - and Mark Preece.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:39 pm

There's a lot there I agree with. I couldn't get to Tuesday's match, which ironically sounded like a far superior performance to the dross which has been the norm for the past few weeks. Today was back to par and I saw little to change what I posted above that we are a soft touch at the back. Two farcical goals gifted to a Sutton team who could barely get the basics right themselves. The deteriation in form of both Walsh and Mellor has been alarming and if they are to be retained, I sincerely hope we have some adequate cover come August.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:14 pm

BenE wrote:I would bring in Perry Shipp and Gibbons - and Mark Preece.

Preece moved from Gloucester to Chippenham (after ending last season at Oxford City) so maybe he's considered not up to this level?

Not seen enough of the other three play to say whether we should bring them in or not - how come you think they'll do a job?
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:43 pm

BenE wrote:If we keep the basis of this side we can expect the very same next season.

I agree and, while this would be dispiriting in a normal season, if the community ownership goes through, I would see the club being still a going concern and owned by the community and the team being in the same position as a result.

If the community ownership doesn't go through, then we will have a lot more to worry about than players and, indeed, management.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:46 pm

comrade powell wrote:There's a lot there I agree with. I couldn't get to Tuesday's match, which ironically sounded like a far superior performance to the dross which has been the norm for the past few weeks. Today was back to par and I saw little to change what I posted above that we are a soft touch at the back. Two farcical goals gifted to a Sutton team who could barely get the basics right themselves. The deteriation in form of both Walsh and Mellor has been alarming and if they are to be retained, I sincerely hope we have some adequate cover come August.

Like you I missed Tuesday's match but, considering the events of the first minute, didn't think we played too badly today. Yes, even with a man extra Sutton were poor but we should have been level through Pratt (though seeing Chris' video it wasn't quite such a howler as it appeared at the time) and I think had that gone in we'd have gone on to win the game.

I do agree that Mellor and Walsh were at fault for the goals but would still be disappointed if either go in the summer (the former slightly more than the latter).

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:57 pm

Yes, at times we did play the ball around skilfully but in recent games the next defensive howler seems to be just around the corner. Perhaps the signing of the leader most fans believe we are lacking would up the concentration levels. Let's hope the players can put the season to bed with a win at Staines, as today's result was a poor send off for the Twerton faithful.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:00 pm

For me losing Stearn is a pity.

Diablo - I've seen all the games since he has joined and can't really remember him having a shot on goal. Maybe one, but just not sure. It looks as if he has some great potential, but spends a large amount of time going sideways.

Watkins - exciting, but let him go.

Artus - seems to have gone downhill since the home Ferriby game.

I like the team and the way they attempt to play football. The sad thing is that most opposing managers will know they just have to rough it up a bit, play spoiling tactics and kick the ball in the air; that'll then put Bath on the back foot.

Staines to go and already looking forward to the tribulations next season. Bring it on!

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:17 pm

Diablo!? Very Happy
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:43 pm

Roll on a fortnight today, it's cricket time

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:52 am

Keep the same playing squad but change the management; then witness the improvement on the field of play consistently, not just in Trophy matches.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:36 am

With?
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:42 pm

Unless we toughen up and cut out the errors we'll be mid table ask rand.

We Need the spine- keeper centre back midfield terrier and Watkins local replacement.

Thanks to Bob Chester for making the ball sponsorship so enjoyable yesterday and well done to the Big Bath City bid team- I like the tee shirts and logo.

Looking forward to the launch

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:59 pm

Ask rand is 'also rans'

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next