Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City v. Bromley

+17
pete mac
Sir Ged Roddy
Marc Monitor
BenE
LB
Colin Voutt
Ashley
SteveS
the demon headmaster
miker
stillmanjunior
comrade powell
Beau Nash
2weirdtown
Matt_1376
kermit
Luton Roman
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

City v. Bromley - Page 2 Empty Re: City v. Bromley

Post by kermit Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:36 pm

comrade powell wrote:Surely Mark is referring to the frequent criticism of our team that we don't go for the kill when taking the lead, preferring to sit back and invite our opponents to attack us. He was pointing out that in fact other teams do exactly the same.

Am I correct, Mark?
Your former pupils probably reckon you never marked correctly!
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:41 pm

comrade powell wrote:Surely Mark is referring to the frequent criticism of our team that we don't go for the kill when taking the lead, preferring to sit back and invite our opponents to attack us. He was pointing out that in fact other teams do exactly the same.

Am I correct, Mark?

Spot on - I didn't realise I'd not made that clear!
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:14 pm

I agree with an earlier poster, that it did remind me of the home leg against North Ferriby - a tentative first half followed by a storming second half comeback. We simply can't give teams two goal starts (or give the ball away as much as we did in the first half) and hope to win games. What yesterday did show yet again was what a much better side we are when we keep the ball on the ground - what a difference from the 'hoofball' against Concord two weeks ago.

Bromley's timewasting was ridiculous - the keeper encouraged his team mates to leave the ball when it went out of play (hence Yuffie's appearence in the second half!) and he continually changed sides for his goalkicks. Sadly the referee was too weak to do anything about it (again reminiscent of the North Ferriby game after their keeper got injured).

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:20 pm

the demon headmaster wrote: I hope they do bottle it. One moron fan walked past us at the start of the second half and gestured that the score was 2-0. In case we didn't get that he repeated. No-one paid him any attention but I hope he's feeling embarrassed.

I call that harmless banter. Not a reason for being disdainful on the whole club.

If you had given the timewasting and general cynicism as a reason I would have been more in tune with you but season after season it seems that is the attitude it takes to get out of this division.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:29 pm

LB wrote:Bromley's timewasting was ridiculous - the keeper encouraged his team mates to leave the ball when it went out of play (hence Yuffie's appearence in the second half!) and he continually changed sides for his goalkicks. Sadly the referee was too weak to do anything about it (again reminiscent of the North Ferriby game after their keeper got injured).

At this level I don't think you will get the quality of referee who will deal with it. Hence the reason teams do it. The entire crowd was baying for action yet he chose to turn a blind eye to it.

We should have sent the subs out to retrieve balls when they went out of play. One behind the goal could have picked the ball up and put it on the spot. When the goalie moved it the other side it would have been blatant then.

Even when the ref spoke to him, he had to walk half the length of the field having finally decided the goalie was taking the p*ss, and still reached him before the lad had put the ball down for the goal kick. He thus had plenty of justification for dishing a card out.

BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:31 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:

Am I correct, Mark?

Spot on - I didn't realise I'd not made that clear!

I think we can all agree you did.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:07 pm

Well I'd say that fan was an idiot. Simples. Why is it necessary for him say anything? It just strikes me as arrogant. Banter implies humour not stating the obvious.
Oh and I didn't like the time-wasting either.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by miker Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:40 pm

On the point of time wasting at goal kicks I seem to remember that if the ball went out of play, for example, to the left of the goal the ref would indicate that the goal kick would be from the left hand side. When did that very sensible rule, which would prevent keepers slowly taking the ball to the opposite side, go out of use ?

miker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:45 am

Being able to take the kicks from either side has been allowed for quite a while now. Maybe even over a decade.

From a footballing point of view, I hope Bromley do go up as they are, by far, the best footballing side that have come down to Twerton Park since the Swansea reserves pre-season. That way we don't have to play them as well. They are a refreshing answer to those that think that we have to play a different style of football to be successful. Yes, the timewasting was a pain but I can't see that they really get any benefit through that and I wonder if they do it throughout the season. Referees are perfectly capable of adding the extra time on that has been wasted as well.

It is interesting that, after a discussion about entertainment in football, we saw one of the most engaging games of football at Twerton Park.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:42 pm

I was told before the game that the Bromley director who is bankrolling them had walked on Thursday. Whether a just a rumour I don't know, nothing on their website.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:36 pm

I assumed Mark Goldberg was bankrolling them.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:13 pm

I forgot to say that I thought McCootie was superb on Saturday. He did exactly what was expected of him. If only he played like that every week.

You wouldn't have idiots like me saying he was out of his depth.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:27 pm

Yes, I thought he did well and clearly had one of their big central defenders rattled.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Ged Roddy Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:36 pm

Marc Monitor wrote: Yes, the timewasting was a pain but I can't see that they really get any benefit through that and I wonder if they do it throughout the season. Referees are perfectly capable of adding the extra time on that has been wasted as well.
They do get benefit, because the ref will never add on all the time they waste. Also, just as importantly, they are allowed to annoy the home team and especially the fans. This should not be allowed.
The officials do not add enough time on. The keeper should have been booked, not just 'spoken to', and then booked again if he continued to waste time.

Sir Ged Roddy

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:01 pm

Its not just wasting time. Its done to take the sting out of the pressing team and to stop their momentum.......it works.......

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Skyblue Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:04 pm

Sir Ged Roddy wrote:
Marc Monitor wrote: Yes, the timewasting was a pain but I can't see that they really get any benefit through that and I wonder if they do it throughout the season. Referees are perfectly capable of adding the extra time on that has been wasted as well.
They do get benefit, because the ref will never add on all the time they waste.  Also, just as importantly, they are allowed to annoy the home team and especially the fans.  This should not be allowed.
The officials do not add enough time on.  The keeper should have been booked, not just 'spoken to', and then booked again if he continued to waste time.

When I first started filming games, I would let the camera run which meant lots of editing afterwards when the ball is over the stand or the physio comes on etc., so now I edit live, as the ball goes out of play or subs are being made, I stop filming. Filming this way means the length of video is rarely over 60 minutes long which proves a good 30 minutes is lost by all the stoppages, timewasting, subs, goal kicks, free kicks etc. When I went to watch Futsal, there is a time keeper who stops the clock every time the play stops, so even though it is only 20 minutes each way, it is not far off the same playing time.

Skyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:07 pm

BenE wrote:I forgot to say that I thought McCootie was superb on Saturday. He did exactly what was expected of him. If only he played like that every week.

You wouldn't have idiots like me saying he was out of his depth.

He had played very well the previous week at Farnboro, but the opponents that day were far inferior to Bromley. He seems to be fitter than when he first arrived and more willing to run through walls for the cause.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:00 pm

McCootie is decent, and it was good to see Adie's comments on him in the Chronic last week.

Don't forget he came up 2 leagues almost in one go so it was bound to take a while to settle in.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:38 pm

McCootie definitely had issues adjusting to this level of football. However, I am not sure that I, for one, appreciated how bad his hamstring troubles were. As such, now that his fitness is better, he appear to be much more willing to chase balls down, harry defenders and run onto through balls.

Of course, I still have concerns that we signed a player that wasn't fit in order to replace a player that wasn't able to fulfil the role that we signed him for - Hemmings. Having said all this, I feel that, going into next season with these players and possibly Naby Diallo is quite encouraging. I see that Howells wants another centre-half and centre-forward. Personally, I am not sure about the latter unless someone is going that we don't know about but certainly another centre-half would be useful. Cover for Mellor and some kids coming through the Academy and getting a look-in would be good.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:20 am

Do you really think Bromley looked that good? I felt they were the archetypal side in this league who tend to do well; big, strong and willing to indulge in the dark arts when needed. I know I haven't seen most of the teams at the top this year and I am completely biased, but the best footballing team on their day is Bath City.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:51 am

Their passing, running off the ball and general movement was very very good. Certainly in the first half. You are right that we matched them for it especially in the second half but I didn't want to appear too subjective. Having said that, the build-up to both our goals was as good as anything I have seen this season and we didn't have to rely on cock-ups frmo Bromley to score like they did with us.

As far as others are concerned, I have seem most of the teams we have played and no-one sticks out as being good as them. Yes, they took the piss with the time-wasting but I was thinking of the positives. As far as the penalty was concerned, I thought it was a reasonable decision. If it were us, I would have been calling for a penalty.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:47 am

On their pen it looked to me like Keary didn't actually make contact with either the ball or the player. It was just a clumsy swipe and the player went down - dare I say like Stearn.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:56 am

Marc Monitor wrote:I see that Howells wants another centre-half and centre-forward. Personally, I am not sure about the latter unless someone is going that we don't know about but certainly another centre-half would be useful. Cover for Mellor and some kids coming through the Academy and getting a look-in would be good.

I could be putting two and two together and making five but Howells' comment about wanting players within 30 mins of Bath could mean the end for Watkins. I would be disappointed as I still think he's gives the team a lot but could understand that he may not want to keep coming all the way from Cornwall, especially as he has been in and out the starting XI this season.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:39 am

Yes, that sounds very plausible. I agree with you about his worth as a player but he hasn't been as effective this season. Possibly because the travelling is getting to him. It may be that the extra striker is being brought in as cover for Watkins rather than an out and out replacement. Of course, the other possibility is that Stearn is on his way out. There is little doubt that his relationship with Howells and Britton is patchy and they have different ideas on how and when to play him than he does.

Needless to say, I would rather see Watkins and Stearn playing for us than against us. The only player that springs to mind that I would like to see at Twerton is North Ferriby's St Juste but he's never going to come down south and should probably be playing up at least one level. There was an opposition keeper that I was very impressed with at Twerton but, for the life of me, I can't remember who he played for but very impressive. That's not much help, is it? I still think we should keep Mellor, by the way. He costs us goals but saves us goals as well and I am not sure who is better than him who would come to us. I just get nervous that we haven't got cover for him.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Micawber Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:56 am

I see Truro will make playoffs for Conference South. If they should get promoted there is a chance Watkinswill sign for them. The travelling to Bath from Cornwall isn't a commute I think you can keep up for too many seasons. By the way what's happened to Addlesbury? Is he injured and does he have far to travel?

Micawber

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next