Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Concord game

+13
Twerton Parker
Marc Monitor
LB
BenE
miker
pete mac
Steve Whites Missus
Roman Mike
yuffie
London Calling
2weirdtown
Luton Roman
comrade powell
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Concord game - Page 2 Empty Re: Concord game

Post by SteveS Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:19 am

Agree with points raised above but also it has to be appreciated just how much a blow losing that semi final was. Imagine if we had now been on the build up to Wembley, there would have been at least double the numbers on Saturday.
When you look at our fixtures there are few games that have a 'pull' factor in terms of attendance. I was hoping that Weymouth would get promoted as at least that is a traditional local game for us and they would bring some numbers (I have difficulty in classing Weston as a local derby) but it looks as though the play offs is the best they can expect.
Adding to what Comrade was saying there were several sponsors on Saturday and full credit to Bob Chester who works his socks off, he is an off the field Dave Pratt. There are numerous people working very hard at the club from Board level down but it is essential that everyone gets together and works as a team if the club is to survive and no one should be under any illusions of the seriousness of the situation.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:37 am

Yes the attendance is no reflection on the effort put in. A lot of people work very hard indeed.

You do have to wonder how effective the Community Day is ever likely to be. If we had been building up to Wembley we would have had a bigger attendance than Saturday paying full whack.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:15 pm

I think whatever happens on or off the pitch for the rest of the season it is going to be overshadowed by the 'what if' question where Wembley was concerned.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:29 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:I guess you can look on the positive side slightly. Without any of their work we would have almost certainly played in front of a sub-500 attendance. You never know, if just one or two of those enjoyed their day at the football (if not the match itself!) then it is a benefit. We had a mascot the other week and in the programme it was noted that he'd been coming along since last year's Community Day.

Tomorrow is one of those nights where we could pay supporters for their attendance and we'd still struggle. We've had a lot of entertaining games so far this season, just a shame Saturday's wasn't one and tomorrow is another rather unattractive fixture.

And yet the Hemel and Farnborough Tuesday games were highly entertaining affairs. I remember a few seasons back we had Woking on a Tuesday after being KO'd from the FA cup (I think). We stuffed them 5-1 or something.
Seems the pleaseant surprises come when there are little or no expectations.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:16 pm

Well, as a season ticket holder, I will be there (and, of course, I had already paid upfront for Saturday).

I wonder whether there is an argument for holding the Community Day earlier in the season, say August or September? The possibility of nicer weather, plenty to play for, early season optimism and, also, if it is later in September, you could catch the new students before they find the alternative delights of Bath. I expect these dates have been considered and there may be very good reasons why this part of the season is chosen.

Agree 100% about Bob Chester as well.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:46 pm

Concord scored 3 against us on the opening day because we dropped Artus and Walsh. O and we looked unfit and not at all sharp as we played largely inferior opposition in pre-season friendlies.
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:54 pm

Can you drop a player from the first game of the season?

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:12 pm

Ha. Good shout Simon. "Dropped" in the sense that one of the first XI picked to play on the bench.
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:35 pm

Roman Mike wrote:Concord scored 3 against us on the opening day because we dropped Artus and Walsh. O and we looked unfit and not at all sharp as we played largely inferior opposition in pre-season friendlies.

I don't think that Cardiff City, Swansea, Rovers and Cheltenham count as 'largely inferior opposition'
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:37 pm

Artus was carrying a knock and I believe Walshy missed parts of pre-season because he was on holiday. That said I would have started the latter.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:01 am

Both players were approached by fans post-match, and both said that they were fit to play, and so they were miffed by the team selection on the day.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:12 am

Walsh was fit but I'm guessing as he hadn't been around pre-season they weren't keen to play him. Which I thought was unfair but this was months and months ago now, wasn't a season changer.

Anyway, both started the next game against Basingstoke when we did even worse!
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2