1st leg - the inquest

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

1st leg - the inquest - Page 2 Empty Re: 1st leg - the inquest

Post by Twerton Parker on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:42 pm

Mcnulty wrote:Big chas,  Probably up there for our player of the year with dave Pratt.

Was it me or was Dave Pratt, by his standards, a bit subdued today?

Twerton Parker

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:45 pm

I had three people stop me and ask me the result on the way back into the city centre, including in my local, very rugby pub.

A spirited fightback and a Match of the Day goal, I hope today's performance (the 2nd half anyway) will help nudge attendances up for the rest of the season
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:55 pm

Mccootie should have started no question and must do next week. Likewise Addlesbury. Kington offered little bar turning in a circle a couple of times. Need to match their physicality which is why I cannot understand not starting with Nick. They looked well organised, tidy and could play a bit but our defence frailty gave them 2 goals so a great effort to get back in it. McCootie goal a worldy, Twerton erupted. Hope we settle a bit earlier next week, least Lee and Adie will have learned plenty.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:04 pm

Twerton Parker wrote:
Mcnulty wrote:Big chas,  Probably up there for our player of the year with dave Pratt.

Was it me or was Dave Pratt, by his standards,  a bit subdued today?

He was playing wide right for a lot of the first half. Virtually every throw in of ours went down the line to him where he had a heading duel with 2/3 defenders each time. Why don't players trying something different when its clearly not working? With McCootie on, their giant lumbering centre backs had more to think about AND we played it on the floor and wide - i.e. not down their throats.
Not sure why Stearn played wide left when he game on? Perhaps that full back was identified as a weakness. It did mean the quality of the crossing was reduced as, when he did get round the back he was on his left foot.
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcnulty on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:07 pm

Pratty, yes bit subdued probably still shattered plus I thought their left back did a decent job on him. Won a lot of the headers dave usually wins and was quite clever with his little tugs and nudges.

Mcnulty

Back to top Go down

Post by LB on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:08 pm

Interesting to hear on Radio Bristol Adie Britton say that the first half was the worst we had played since October, and that with hindsight perhaps we should have started with McCootie.

I think the problem in the first half was that because of the line-up we were always going to be inviting North Ferriby to come at us, and we insisted on humping the ball forward. I never think that Andy Watkins is as effective when he plays in that more central role as when he plays wide, and Dave Pratt was always going to struggle in the air against their tall defenders.

Another poster said that North Ferriby didn't look any more than an average Conference South side, and I think he is right - unfortunately in the first half we made them look a lot better than that. When we started playing the ball on the ground and out wide in the second half they looked a different team. Once again we showed how much better we are when we play that way.

I thought the referee was very lenient, and that a lot of the Conference South referees I have seen would have handed out more yellow cards, and possibly even a red for the foull on Gallinagh. He also did nothing about their time wasting at goal kicks after the keeper was injured.

I certainly don't think it is beyond us to beat them next week, and team selection will be interesting - hard to believe that McCootie won't start and I think we might need Adelsbury in midfield rather than Allen simply because he is bigger. Hopefully we will start like we did at Wealdstone and take the game to them from the start.

Interesting to see the video of McCootie's goal - from behind the goal I didn't realise how much it dipped.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:10 pm

Great to see Coots goal on the video, but does anyone know if someone from City was filming this game or the Farnborough game? Sky Blue normally posts the videos if he's been filming. Would love to see those goals and especially Coots' today from a different angle. Really special today.....I think we'll go into the game next week on the more positive note following the second half performance. Agree that Adelsbury should get the nod in the starting line-up next week....we need a bit more physicality, overall though, if we learn from today's experience, we should have nothing to fear.....I assume the players will be staying over in Hull on Friday night....?
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by London Calling on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:56 pm

Sounds like Adie shared my thoughts on the first half as I thought we were totally abysmal.

Sometimes I question whether Mellor and the back four have a brain cell between them, continually hoofing the ball up to the two smallest players on the pitch hoping they can out jump players much taller than them. Who knows, they may be under instruction from the management to employ this tactic, but after the tenth time it hasn't worked you'd think perhaps of trying something different...

Anyway, second half we started playing on the floor and were on top for pretty much the rest of the game. McCootie looked great when he came on and like another poster said, Williams was excellent and was unlucky to be taken off.

Artus had a bit of a shocker I'm afraid and Hemmings...well... when he's on form he looks great, when he's not, he just looks like a pub footballer...

Anyway, if we go up to North Ferriby next Saturday and aim to play football from the start like we did in the second half today I honestly think we'll win.

Didn't think the ref did too bad today all things considered. As long as we never see that bloke from the first Dover game again I'll be happy...

London Calling

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:03 pm

Artus pulls the strings and makes us play but they did their homework better than we did and he was shackled. Better second half. Didnt think Watkins was all that, again he was closed down often with two on him. Stearn fared a bit better but we need to be a bit cleverer at moving the ball and certainly a bit sharper, several were caught napping.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:12 pm

Gallinagh was my MOM, he really does have an incredible football brain.
Ashley
Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:31 pm

Look, if we aren't going to start with Stearn despite him being probably being the FA Trophy leading scorer*, we aren't going to start with McCootie, despite him hitting a run of form and his performance today being the best I have seen.

I see Adie starting with as much as today's line-up as is available to him.

*stat not checked.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster on Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:33 am

Front 2 were isolated first half and their energetic pressing game closed down options for our midfield so balls were hurriedly lumped forward which played into their hands.
We also lacked width which narrowed our generous pitch. This also played into their hands. In short the team selection was wrong and I would be surprised if the same 11 start next week. The changes in the second half were all right, although Stearn's introduction could have been earlier.
I thought Hemmings was essential to getting us back into the game so can't agree that he looked like a pub player. He did look shattered at the end however, so I expect a very different side to turn out in the SPC.
The second half performance after the setback of their second was excellent. The video suggests their goals didn't result from dithering. An unfortunate deflection gave them the first and a difficult bobbling ball fell kindly for the attacking player. He was their most dangerous player and will need to be carefully marshalled next week.
We certainly need to set up to play our game in the next leg. It will be tough but we have more than enough quality. Go for it boys and cheer on the lads for me as I can't make it.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster on Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:48 am

Oh and yes to moving the ball with greater pace. 4 minutes of injury time was a joke. Should have been 10 at least!

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie Hitler on Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:32 am

London Calling - unfair to doubt the intelligence of Mellor and the back four for playing long balls. Due to the narrow formation they had no choice in the first half. It was only when we introduced and width did they have any other option.
Eddie Hitler
Eddie Hitler

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:38 am

My mistake about him (potentially) being banned next week. I was thinking the rules were the same as two legged play-offs, where suspensions come into effect immediately. Now Alan has pointed out that fact in his usual inimitable style I realise how daft this was!

Having gone through my pictures I've never seen as many sly shirt tugs from an opponents.

Also (and given my previous post, I could be wrong about this) was their no.5 booked as it looked as if the referee was going to book him for time-wasting at goal-kicks then checked his card and decided not to. From then on a different player wasted time.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:55 am

Every time there was a 50-50 there was a slight push on our player to put them off balance. I thought Ferriby were excellent at the dark arts and superbly organised,, which is why we needed the width and to move the ball more quickly to pull them out of position. I think both teams will have learned a lot about each other, making next week a titanic tussle.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:26 am

I did check that it wasn't Steve King standing in the technical area...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:27 am

In my opinion there is only one way we can beat this team and that is to keep it on the deck. we cannot match them physically and I do not expect them to be punished any more up north for their blatant pushing, pulling, grabbing, arm swinging, they must get away with it constantly.

Their sole effective tactic is to get it out wide to their tricky winger to lump it into the box for the big man. For this reason we must play with more width both in attack and defence because if we stop the winger we nullify their game. I thought Simmo did pretty well considering.

If we can cut out the mistakes at the back we will have a great chance.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley on Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:20 pm

yuffie wrote:My mistake about him (potentially) being banned next week. I was thinking the rules were the same as two legged play-offs, where suspensions come into effect immediately. Now Alan has pointed out that fact in his usual inimitable style I realise how daft this was!

Having gone through my pictures I've never seen as many sly shirt tugs from an opponents.

Also (and given my previous post, I could be wrong about this) was their no.5 booked as it looked as if the referee was going to book him for time-wasting at goal-kicks then checked his card and decided not to. From then on a different player wasted time.

I noticed that too
Ashley
Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by bonzodog on Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:44 pm

Ashley wrote:Gallinagh was my MOM, he really does have an incredible football brain.

The ball he played in for Coots was a beauty.

bonzodog

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:49 pm

I have no idea why we went with such little width as, as has been said, St Juste got loads of space (although he was pegged back at the start). He couldn't have been playing when Adie scouted them last week.

As I have mentioned on FB, I hope we look back on this and regard the first half yesterday as a big kick up the arse for the players and managed that we needed. Certainly, it is better to get such a capitulation then rather than at the end of the 2 legs so, hopefully, that is it now.

Last edited by Marc Monitor on Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman on Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:49 pm

Think we need to man up on the pitch, sure there was plenty of dark arts Wembley is at stake ffs, and City have never done that??. That's why nick and Ben need to start. Improve our physicality, keep the ball better up front, match them on the middle and our class will tell. They are well organised, we need to be a bit cleverer.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:54 pm

We just need to play our game on the floor with lots of width and balls into the channels down the sides rather than taking the ball down their throats all the time where they have a well-marshalled defence. That no 9 isn't a threat and, unless one is going to sit on the other's shoulders, there is no point in doubling up on him especially if you are going to leave space for St Juste.

As for the dark arts, they will probably point towards the penalty with some justification to, you know, it's a matter of perception. Again, we need to play the game that's got us here and not panic.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie on Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:05 pm

I certainly don't think we want to get involved in their sly antics. I would imagine they do that week in week out and are much more practised at it. And with their no.9 the last thing we need to do is give away silly free kicks. Looking at the stats in the NLP we only committed eight fouls (against 13) and just two corners (against 8 ) which effectively negated their set-piece threat.

It is also interesting to see we had 11 shots (5 on target) compared to 5 (1 on target!) for Ferriby. Shows that for all their possession we were the more threatening team.

Last edited by yuffie on Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:17 pm; edited 2 times in total

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:12 pm

Marc Monitor wrote:He couldn't have been playing when Adie scouted them last week.

He didn't. Here's their line up for the Tamworth match...

http://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/northferriby/match/13341

So St Juste, Denton, Fry and Clarke from yesterday's team didn't start.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum