Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

North Ferriby Utd

+19
LB
Steve Whites Missus
stillmanjunior
A36
Jon_BOA
Beau Nash
pete mac
Luton Roman
tigerroar
yuffie
BathMan
turnstyle13
Ashley
Marc Monitor
BenE
Dodgycarpet
comrade powell
Dave
2weirdtown
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

North Ferriby Utd Empty North Ferriby Utd

Post by 2weirdtown Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:15 pm

Anyone know owt about them.  All I've seen are a couple of negative remarks intimating they're a bit on the physical side.  4 clean sheets out of last 4 though.
Question
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

North Ferriby Utd Empty Re: North Ferriby Utd

Post by Dave Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:36 pm

They've got what looks like Jan Koller's brother up front, praying Walsh stays fit

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:11 pm

Scary looking manager.  Have to say they've had an easier passage than us.  Only managed to shade it with a last minute pen against Ebbsfleet who aren't exactly a form team at present.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:18 pm

I don't know about the team, but someone involved with Gosport said they were a very welcoming club when they went up there last season.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:29 am

When I saw them referred to as the villagers on here I thought it was just a disparaging remark but I see on their site that is their real nickname.
And yes their manager does look a bit frightening!
They should be welcoming - I know there are exceptions nearby (!) but it's a friendly part of the world.

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:58 am

Their ground looks tiny from the satellite but they managed to get over 2K in for a Hull friendly. I wonder if they lose many balls on the railway line? I wouldn't fancy growing veg on the adjacent allotments.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:30 am

Although NFU are in the Conference North purely on their own merit, in their first season they were bought by Steve Forster who is the son in law of multimillionaire owner of Hull City, Assem Allam, who wanted to rebrand the club as Hull City Tigers. As far as I understand it, this link has been completely benign so far and I am not even sure that, apart from some ex-Hull players going there, it has changed the club that much in the two and a bit years since the acquisition.

NFU supporters welcomed the involvement and the ambitions for reaching the FL but, if I were them, I would be wary of any Allam involvement however tenuous.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:33 am

Dodgycarpet wrote:
They should be welcoming - I know there are exceptions nearby (!) but it's a friendly part of the world.

You realise it is 64 miles to Boston from Ferriby?!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:08 pm

They have a current international in their squad.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by turnstyle13 Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:17 pm

Have only just realised that they play in the awful colour scheme of green and white.
If that's not incentive enough then I don't know what is.
Nuff said.

turnstyle13

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:04 pm

Green and white AND villagers. anyway, 64 miles isnt far!

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by BathMan Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:23 pm

I work with a guy that is involved with the Conference North teams and he told me that they have 2 solid "Tall" centre half's and a Tall forward. most goals come from set pieces. they are no push over !!!

BathMan

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:22 pm

A Farnborough fan said on Tuesday night that if we play football against them we should be alright. Apparently Boro had several excellent chances that the Ferriby keeper saved before they scored twice from set-pieces. Not surprisingly, given what we witnessed on Tuesday, Farnborough's heads dropped after this, though that was the end of the scoring.

Seems like it could be two contrasting styles, much like the Dover games.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerroar Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:37 pm

Their left back is a naughty boy.

edited by mod.

tigerroar

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:17 pm

Get some pace at him

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:11 pm

They sound like a fairly physical side.  No comments mentioning any nice football.  Not ideal opponents as we tend to struggle against this kind of side.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:40 pm

Still prefer them to Wrexham or Torquay over 2 legs, we're in good form, confident, its our year, our turn.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:11 am

I agree. It will be a tough test and we may have to break them down. We have improved at set pieces with walshy and jason is more confident.

I'm with Gerry let's be confident. Sneekz said 'nothing to fear'

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:44 am

Preview copied from their website...

Ferriby return to FA Trophy action on Saturday when they visit Vanarama Conference South Bath City in the first leg of the semi-final. The two clubs have never met before and are really unknown quantities for each other. Comparisons between clubs from different divisions, even at the same level, are difficult to make but, no doubt, each club will have done a certain amount of homework on the other. However, The Villagers have beaten two Conference South sides en route to the semi-finals.

This is the first time that The Villagers have reached the semi-finals of the FA Trophy. It is also the first time since 1997 that Ferriby have reached a national semi-final. On that occasion they beat Guisborough 3-1 on aggregate in the FA Vase to claim a Wembley place.

Ferriby and Bath go into this game with fairly similar scoring and defensive records in their respective divisions. Ferriby have won 10, drawn 12 and lost six of their league games, scoring 41 goals and conceding 34 in the process. Bath City have won 12, drawn four and lost 11 league games, scoring 39 goals and conceding 36.

Bath’s confidence will be high after a 7-4 league win at home to Farnborough in midweek. Farnborough were defeated by Ferriby in the third round of this season’s Trophy run. Bath’s top scorer this season is David Pratt with 16 goals. Following him are Ross Stearn with 12 goals and Nick McKootie with 10, four of which came against Farnborough in midweek.

Bath have won all six home games since Christmas. During this period they have also won 2, drawn 2 and lost 2 on their travels. Bath have beaten three Conference Premier clubs, Bristol Rovers, Altrincham and Dover on their way to the semi-final so are not likely to be daunted by facing a Ferriby side that plays at the same pyramid level as them. Equally, The Villagers will remember that they put out Conference Premier clubs in last season’s Trophy run before losing to Conference South Gossport. As always in cup-ties, it is what you do on the day, not what you did in previous rounds. A lot depends on how players’ reactions to the atmosphere and importance of the match. Hopefully, Ferriby will be able to use last year’s experience to their advantage.

Ferriby go in to this game with six wins and four draws in their last ten games. Manager Billy Heath made a few changes for last Saturday’s home draw with Tamworth. Despite only drawing, it was a good result and performance against a Tamworth that is probably the most in-form side at the moment.

Following the Tamworth game, Heath commented, “It was a good performance against a side that is in a good run of form. Tamworth are well-organised and difficult to break down. We defended well and kept another clean sheet which is always pleasing.”

Speaking ahead of Saturday’s game at Bath he said, “It’s a massive game as there is a lot at stake. It’s big in terms of both finance and prestige for the club. For the players, it presents a great opportunity to reach and play in a final at Wembley.

“I’m sure both Bath and ourselves were happy to be drawn against each other.  There is not going to be much between the two sides. We have to respect their record in this season’s Trophy but there is probably not much between the two sides.

“We will be looking to win both legs. We are not going to be negative because we are not a side that sits back and plays on the counter-attack. That’s just not our game. We have shown we can defend when we need to with clean sheets in our last four games.

“The win over Ebbsfleet in the last round laid a couple of ghosts. We have matured both individually and as a team since last season’s quarter-final defeat to Gosport. Ebbsfleet have been one of the best teams we have played but we deserved the win on the day. If we can re-produce that level of performance we have a great chance of going through.”

Apart from Danny Emerton who is unavailable due to injury and Curtis Bateson is ineligible, Heath should have virtually a full squad to choose from

NFU’s probable squad : Adam Nicklin, Tom Nicholson, Sam Topliss, Louis Bruce, Josh Wilde, Nathan Peat, Mark Gray, Gregg Anderson, Danny Hone, Adam Bolder, Liam King, Jon D’Laryea, Russell Fry,  Tom Denton, Ryan Kendall, Jason St Juste, Nathan Jarman, Danny Clarke, Matt Wilson

The second leg is at Ferriby next Saturday (28 February) with the usual 3pm kick-off.

Admission is being held at the usual prices of £12 (£6 concessions/ £3 under-16). Season passes are not valid for this game. The game is PAY AT THE GATE on the day.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:46 am

What score would you be happy with? 2-0

What score do you expect? 3-0

We showed at Chelmsford how professional we can be over two legs AND this season with the "two legs against Dover" and the performances against all three Conference Premier clubs showed we are more than capable of playing attractive and effective football.

Aquae Sulis invicta
cheers
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon_BOA Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:00 pm

Beau Nash wrote:
What score do you expect? 3-0

Do you really expect a 3-0 win? Maybe I am being massively pessimistic, but I am not expecting anything, I don't have a clue what North Ferriby will be like, they could be absolute rubbish for all I know, or a cracking side.

I'm not saying we can't win, but I'd be very surprised if we won 3-0, my fear is they'll be a big, physical side, that traditionally we struggle against, if we came away 2-1 up I'd be more than happy. By the way, I assume away goals don't "count double" in the event of a draw after 2 legs?

Jon_BOA

Back to top Go down

Post by A36 Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:18 pm

Jon_BOA wrote:By the way, I assume away goals don't "count double" in the event of a draw after 2 legs?
Your assumption is correct. If the aggregate scores are level after ninety minutes in the second leg, extra time will be played. If the aggregate scores are still level after extra time then it will be decided by penalties. This is irrespective of the number of away goals.
Beau Nash wrote:We showed at Chelmsford how professional we can be over two legs AND this season with the "two legs against Dover" and the performances against all three Conference Premier clubs showed we are more than capable of playing attractive and effective football.
I thought City were extremely fortunate in the first leg against Chelmsford, 2-0 to City was far from a fair reflection of the game (second leg was better though). Also, I don't think performances against Conference clubs is a good indication of what City will be able to do against a Conference North club. The only Conference North club that City have played this season took the replay (or "second leg") to extra time, and, according to those that were there, City were pretty poor in both games. Let's not forget that the main reason that North Ferriby haven't beaten any Conference clubs this season is that they haven't played any. Last season they beat three Conference clubs in the FA Trophy, Hyde, Woking and Lincoln City.

A36

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:42 pm

The 2-0 win against Chelmsford has to be one of the most unjust scorelines I can ever remember. They absolutely battered us in that first half and had chances after we scored, before we nicked another. Second leg they weren't as much of a threat.

I honestly think it'll be two nerve-wracking close games which could go either way.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:58 pm

I'm expecting tomorrow to be very tough and would be happy with any victory. I'm just hoping that we turn up on the day - in the previous rounds against Wealdstone, Alty, Rovers and Dover our attitude was spot on and we played our opponents off the pitch for long periods, scoring when we were on top.

Yes, we were fortunate in the 1st leg v Chelmsford, but the margin of victory was ideal as we just had to sit back and catch them on the break up there.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:07 pm

A McCootie hattrick in both legs with leave me quietly confident......

I wouldn't be shocked with whatever the score is. When Bath play well I could easily see them winning 3-0, but then a hard graft 2-1 is just as equally possible. So.... I'm going

2 - 1 home leg
2 - 0 away leg (Bath will have the bit between their teeth)

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next