A request from Bas...

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: A request from Bas...

Post by Luton Roman on Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:01 pm

Andy was frenetic yesterday. Too big a crowd to open the bar given managing exit an re entrance. Thought the club did ok. Always ways to improve. Yes wd have been good to say have a table outside club shop with scarves. Kids love that, wd have generated cash. As always put ur name forward if u want to help out rather than leave it to the few.

Luton Roman

Posts : 1409
Join date : 2014-02-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A request from Bas...

Post by comrade powell on Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:20 pm

Well said, Gerry - some forget this club is run by volunteers. I don't know about the merchandise shortage, but the 2 lounges were absolutely heaving with sponsors. That was down to the efforts of Bob Chester, who has worked flat out since yesterday's match was confirmed and certainly aimed to capitalise on a large attendance. Incidentally, he is several days into making preparations for a possible Wembley visit. I know we all like to have a good moan on here (myself included!), but do spare a thought for people like Bob, Mark and Bas. I doubt if either watched more than a few minutes here and there of yesterday's match...
avatar
comrade powell

Posts : 4273
Join date : 2014-01-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A request from Bas...

Post by thomasmaxbaer on Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:34 pm

Yes, definitely agree with that. By the way, just out of interest, does anyone know who runs the clubs social network sites?

thomasmaxbaer

Posts : 94
Join date : 2014-05-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A request from Bas...

Post by comrade powell on Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:55 pm

what is social network? confused
avatar
comrade powell

Posts : 4273
Join date : 2014-01-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A request from Bas...

Post by Marc Monitor on Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:24 pm

Comrade, it is exactly that volunteers are working so hard that I think they are being let down if the club isn't supplying them with sufficient stock to sell when they do volunteer. I am the last person to have a go at Bob either as he almost single handedly runs the show all over the ground. Again, however, if their efforts are being made undermined because other areas aren't being exploited by the club, it isn't the volunteers' fault at all but there are some paid people at the club as well.
avatar
Marc Monitor

Posts : 1546
Join date : 2014-02-20
Age : 51
Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A request from Bas...

Post by Marc Monitor on Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:36 pm

comrade powell wrote:what is social network? confused

It used to be "going for a pint".
avatar
Marc Monitor

Posts : 1546
Join date : 2014-02-20
Age : 51
Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A request from Bas...

Post by comrade powell on Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:42 pm

Marc, I don't know about the merchandise side. I'm also not aware of the paid employees you are talking about.
avatar
comrade powell

Posts : 4273
Join date : 2014-01-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A request from Bas...

Post by yuffie on Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:56 pm

I think it is always possible to find areas to criticise regarding how the club runs its affairs if you have that mindset. However, without knowing any of the behind the scenes issues it seems to me to be very unfair. Hopefully most supporters understand that.

yuffie

Posts : 913
Join date : 2014-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A request from Bas...

Post by comrade powell on Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:01 pm

Oh, and I'm going to tell Bas that his simple request has run to 3 pages...
avatar
comrade powell

Posts : 4273
Join date : 2014-01-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A request from Bas...

Post by Mark Tanner on Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:12 pm

After putting the appeal on here (at the beginning of this thread) for more volunteers we only had two extra helpers. There was one extra match day draw seller (sorry I can't remember your name) and Marc who came to check on the HQ.

I'm shocked by the lack of people willing to lend a hand to our club. Will people only roll up their sleeves for a 'community club'? Or if that goes ahead will we have an initial surge of interest only to drop away and leave 4-5 people running everything again?

I could have sold an extra 20 scarfs and hats yesterday at least, but there was a shortage of just 3 of each to sell beyond my control. There were also plenty of North Ferriby programme hunters that I wasn't expecting which caused a backlog of people looking in and stopping bigger sales (as old programmes are just 20p each compared with a pin badge for £3 or a scarf for £12).

I'll be putting ways to improve this to Andy Weeks later tonight or late on Monday. But it would need 3 people at least to implement just the selling of stock. So.....

Which two of you guys will it be? - I promise anyone that does help won't miss a single minute of any game!

Just to touch on Simon's point most fans did understand but I did have too many that didn't. In retail though you just have to take it on the chin. It will get better and more efficient in the HQ but it'll take a little bit more time. I will also be in touch with Dan Tanner about such matters.
avatar
Mark Tanner

Posts : 284
Join date : 2014-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A request from Bas...

Post by Marc Monitor on Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:18 pm

Apologies, I thought Andy Weeks was paid. I have no idea about who runs the bar but I am assuming they are paid. Also, I was on here trying to find out what happened 'behind the scenes'. I quite possibly it could have been police advice in which case I am criticising them as the bar was dealing with the pre-match business fine.

Also, if the supporters are hopefully have some say in the running of the club, it would be a good idea to see where commercial opportunities could be improved. You can't, on one hand, say that you want a say in running the club and then say that people are of a certain mindset when they suggest where it could be improved.

Also, as for Bas' request, I was there for what little help I could give as requested. It was while I was there that I saw people asking for items that that long been had sold out and having to be pointed to the club shop that they had missed. It was also while talking to long-standing and visitors yesterday and those that do a lot for the club voluntarily that I heard the incredulity about the bar being shut and the lack of replica shirts that I am reflecting here.
avatar
Marc Monitor

Posts : 1546
Join date : 2014-02-20
Age : 51
Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A request from Bas...

Post by Marc Monitor on Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:22 pm

Apologies, Mark, I could have been more help if I had sold the Matchday Draw tickets but had it in mind that I was going to help you and forgot about the original request.
avatar
Marc Monitor

Posts : 1546
Join date : 2014-02-20
Age : 51
Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A request from Bas...

Post by thomasmaxbaer on Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:24 pm

I would like to help Mark if that's possible

thomasmaxbaer

Posts : 94
Join date : 2014-05-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A request from Bas...

Post by Steve Whites Missus on Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:37 pm

Hi Mark, I was the extra draw person (Alan), it was good fun and was glad to help.

Didn't miss any of the game and the benefit of getting to the club early was I got a programme Laughing

Will be willing to help anytime I'm available (with warning), but am giving the Paulton game a miss to keep my partner happy over the day out to North Ferriby.

Steve Whites Missus

Posts : 662
Join date : 2015-02-05
Age : 51
Location : Bath

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A request from Bas...

Post by Marc Monitor on Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:41 pm

If there is any game that there won't be a rush, it will be Tuesday.
avatar
Marc Monitor

Posts : 1546
Join date : 2014-02-20
Age : 51
Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A request from Bas...

Post by stillmanjunior on Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:07 pm

I think they usually aim to produce a number of programmes to match a third of the expected crowd. You also have a number for players, sponsors, us in the press box and such like. I used to make the order myself but since I took over as editor again in 2012 it's not been my responsibility, which is a relief.

David Ghent of Minuteman Press, who print the programme, was at the game yesterday. If there's a big demand I/the club could look into producing more I'm sure.

For what it's worth, I thought the front cover, which Simon produces, was the best I've seen since the infamous Roman/Pirate one when we played Bristol Rovers in the cup all those years ago.
avatar
stillmanjunior

Posts : 1612
Join date : 2014-02-21
Age : 32
Location : Defending it confidently

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A request from Bas...

Post by Mark Tanner on Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:23 pm

Ah thanks Alan! Just let Bas or myself know when you can make the games, it'll be great to have you on board however regular/semi regular that maybe.

Thanks for coming and answering a few questions Marc on the day. I didn't expect so many programme hunters at the game so you couldn't actually get into the 'shop'. Again let Bas or me know when you can make it again before the game and we'll find you a job to do.

That's great news Thomas, more than welcome to help. Let Bas know what games you can make and we'll find you a role. Due to age I'm guessing you won't be able to sell match day draw tickets maybe but you can certainly help me in the HQ or be our 'runner' for team sheets etc and a few other ideas I have.

I only saw the odd programme cover as a glance but it looks like Simon and Stillman have outdone themselves again. Top work to all involved with it!
avatar
Mark Tanner

Posts : 284
Join date : 2014-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A request from Bas...

Post by yuffie on Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:43 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:For what it's worth, I thought the front cover, which Simon produces, was the best I've seen since the infamous Roman/Pirate one when we played Bristol Rovers in the cup all those years ago.

Thanks Very Happy

I hadn't planned on venturing beyond the usual design and e-mailed the FA to try to get a picture of the FA Trophy that I could use in the usual space. To their credit they did respond quickly and send me a picture but it wasn't quite big enough to do what I had planned. So, instead I decided to use the whole picture and remove the badge and retro pictures so it dominated the cover.

For those who didn't see it


yuffie

Posts : 913
Join date : 2014-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A request from Bas...

Post by comrade powell on Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:59 pm

Dan Tanner has asked me to post the following on his behalf...

The Supporters Club is not responsible for the selling of merchandise. What is sold in the Supporters Club HQ is by permission of the club. The items we do sell do not overlap what is sold in the club shop. Therefore, if items  in the club shop did sell out, that has nothing to do with the Supporters Club, but of course we have sympathy with those unable to get items. I assume if they come to a future home game they might be able to purchase these items, or I imagine they can buy these items online.

My committee work very hard for the Supporters Club and the Club as a whole; whether that be on a match day or during the week. I am very proud of how my committee works and work with the club on a number of levels. The board of our club and those who work for our club, whether that be paid or voluntarily, also deserve a lot of credit for the endless hours they put in. This is a time where we should be celebrating what we have achieved (90 minutes away from Wembley) not criticising - let's leave that for another day.  

Mark, I look forward to seeing your comments. if you could put these in writing I am sure we will discuss them at our next Committee meeting. But please be pragmatic as we do not have an abundance of resources at our disposal.

Those at our last AGM will know the struggles we have faced as an organisation over the last 18 months. However, at our next AGM I should be able to give much better news and this is down to my committee and everyone who supports the Supporters Club; whether that be by being a member, using the tea bar or buying a match day ticket.

I am proud of the team and management team for turning things round since East Thurrock. As a result of that we have gone on an incredible run in the trophy. If we don’t get to the final, yes it will be disappointing, but it won’t be for the want of trying.

My message to the team and management is give it your all, leave everything you have on the pitch and I ask for nothing more. I will clap you off the pitch with my head held high, win or lose.

These moments don’t come round that often and it will take a monumental effort from everyone connected with the club to make the seemingly impossible at the start of the season possible. So let's put any differences, criticisms we may have behind us, for at least the next week and join together. As I believe, united, we might just, just be able to dream.

Daniel Tanner

Bath City Supporters Club Chairman
avatar
comrade powell

Posts : 4273
Join date : 2014-01-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A request from Bas...

Post by thomasmaxbaer on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:10 pm

I wish I could take my comment down now Embarassed I really didn't mean to offend as everyone who puts in the hard work at the club like Bob and Bas do get my full admiration. Sorry for the trouble my comment caused!

thomasmaxbaer

Posts : 94
Join date : 2014-05-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A request from Bas...

Post by Marc Monitor on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:28 pm

This is what gets me. You ask why the bar is shut and shirts aren't in stock and everyone gets defensive.

For the record, I am not criticising the supporters' club, Bob Chester, Mark Tanner nor Bas. As a teacher whose only real day off is often Saturday, I can't commit regularly but I volunteer where and when I can - for instance with the pitch mowing last summer which ultimately wasn't needed and yesterday - and try to do one-off events for the good of the club, Supporters Society or supporters like the t-shirts, Food Drive and a couple of others in the pipeline. However, I know that I do nowhere as near as much as the people mentioned.

What I was asking about was the bar being shut and there not being stocks of shirts, hats and scarves which, as I say, were queries mentioned to me by many people - both long-term attendees and the sort of new visitors that we want to return. These are specific commercial areas of the club that have nothing to do with the Supporters Club, Society or the hard working volunteers mentioned, to my knowledge. Indeed, I was not having a pop specifically about Andy Weeks either just pointing out that there were, I thought, paid employees of the club. Andy was running around like a blue-arsed fly yesterday so I know he was working hard.

As I say, the supporters want to take over ownership of the club so surely, by definition, we think that there will be some improvement in the running of the club if and when that happens while not criticising what people have done so far. If the supporters run the club there will just be a larger pool of lawyers, accountants, retail workers, publicity people, IT people, managers etc, etc, to draw from. Are we going to get defensive when these people suggest improvements?

A football manager like Adie is far better qualified and experienced to manage a football team than any of us. Players on the pitch are far better equipped, skilled and experienced than us to play for Bath City. Does this mean that we should never point out when we think things are wrong? Of course not, no club support is like that. Same with the running of the club. As I say, you can't, on one hand, try and get people interested in running the club and then complain when they take an interest.

avatar
Marc Monitor

Posts : 1546
Join date : 2014-02-20
Age : 51
Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A request from Bas...

Post by Marc Monitor on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:31 pm

Also, I think that Dan may be wrong in one aspect. I am sure that the scarves and hats in the HQ are also sold in the shop. If not, we were wrong in pointing people in that direction.

Another additional point is that, much of what I have passed on are criticisms I have seen at many Football League clubs - especially regarding replica shirts - which suggests that it may be the manufacturers' responsibility
avatar
Marc Monitor

Posts : 1546
Join date : 2014-02-20
Age : 51
Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A request from Bas...

Post by comrade powell on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:41 pm

Thomas, I really don't know which post you are referring to. I'm sure the people you mention have not been offended by anything you have written. Keep supporting the club and offering to help whenever possible - believe me, it's much appreciated.

Marc, if the Society's dream of community ownership is realised, I sincerely hope there are far more opportunities for direct dialogue between club and supporters than there are at present. Many opposed it, but at least when the previous chair of the club came on here there was the opportunity for the exchange of views and reasons given for decisions made. Both the Society and Supporters Club have access to the club and try to speak on behalf of supporters, particularly their members - you have raised issues here which we will try to get answers to.
avatar
comrade powell

Posts : 4273
Join date : 2014-01-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A request from Bas...

Post by Mark Tanner on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:58 pm

Just to clarify the scarves and hats point:

I have good relationship with Andy Weeks and so when there is a big game we take a certain amount of stock to sell in the HQ. We were fortunate enough to have a small selection on Saturday, which sold out by around 2.30 with the massive crowd we had.

We are only allowed to do this now as I've started to write receipts for every transaction taking place in the HQ. This allows Graham Weeks to divide the money up easier to put it back to the club or supporters club. Previously this wasn't being done so in the future we can hopefully improve on this if the club and supporters club agree to it on a more permanent basis.
avatar
Mark Tanner

Posts : 284
Join date : 2014-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A request from Bas...

Post by Marc Monitor on Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:33 pm

After some thought and chats with others, it occurs to me, from this thread, that people find it hard to know when they can help out with supporters' initiatives let alone where they can help out with the club. Bas' appeal for help on here is, perhaps, the first time that this has been asked for, perhaps not (I now that posters and flyers are always there to be put up.

Having seen Andy Weeks yesterday running around trying to sort out every details of the shop, office and, for all I know, the bar including bags of £1s for somewhere and Bob on matchdays selling calenders when I know that he is up to his eyes in it with the sponsors' suites, it strikes me that there are many people who could probably take such tasks off these guys. Similarly, yesterday, I saw Bas running around and, obviously, there was the guy whose name I do not know, in the programme kiosk.

Now, not many people can do the roles that Andy do in the office, sponsors' suites or, possibly even, shop but calendar-selling, programme-selling, being a pre-match runner or, at least, being available for these if there is a big match are roles that many people can do. Of course, you are going to say "Well, why don't you do it?" but, for a variety of reasons, I can't, I know I can't week in, week out so I don't volunteer. I can do one-off bits and pieces but I can't do regular things. However, many people possibly can but don't feel that they can approach the club. I am the sort of person that does things and apologises later so am pig-headed enough to organise stuff and approach the club. Others may, quite rightly, not want to tread on peoples' toes by offering help or feel that what they can do isn't enough.

What I will say is that, should the community ownership happen, there will - hopefully - be lots of people offering their expertise, experiences, services, time and effort. However, the club needs that now as well. Whatever happens, we still will have a lot of time before the money is raised and still have a possible Trophy 'bounce' as well as a Community Day before that is likely to happen.

When I want to do something for the club, I approach the club. The club have always been as helpful and receptive as they can be. I know that more people on board to volunteer has got to help, not least to free up those people who are currently doing stuff to do what they are doing even better. I am sure that they will appreciate the offers and, where they don't need help presently, they may appreciate having people 'on call' where there are big matches like yesterday, the upcoming Community Day etc.
avatar
Marc Monitor

Posts : 1546
Join date : 2014-02-20
Age : 51
Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A request from Bas...

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum