Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

trophy match at Wealdstone

+18
Eddie Hitler
Ruislip Stone
kermit
BenE
SteveBradley
A36
suffolkexile
pete mac
the demon headmaster
stillmanjunior
Marc Monitor
2weirdtown
Ashley
Dusty Lynfield
Timbo_b-o-a
SASCHA
Luton Roman
comrade powell
22 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

trophy match at Wealdstone - Page 2 Empty Re: trophy match at Wealdstone

Post by stillmanjunior Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:45 am

No, what I was initiating was we haven't won away for ages and it felt like Wealdstone was the last time as it was a long time ago. It'd be a bit like me saying "it feels like forever since we had a good run in the FA Cup", so you'd step in and say "actually we reached round one in 2011 and round two in 2009" etc. Sutton slipped my mind, t'was a good day but I'd obviously forgotten it which is absolutely fatal when there are people around to correct you. Next time I'll make sure I double and triple check absolutely everything I write and not dare make myself look so utterly foolish again.

Was about to hit submit until I spotted a chance of revenge - we won three FA Trophy games in 2006. Beat Bishop's Cleeve, Sittingbourne (after replay) and Tooting & Mitcham (after replay) before losing to Farnborough in round one. After a replay. Three qualifying rounds in the FA Trophy, urgh.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:00 pm

You are not foolish at all Mark. Our away form has slumped in the league but we have done better in the Cups. Like you I fear tomorrow's game as we apparently haven't lost away at Wealdstone for 40 years? Cue someone putting me right!

We might be due a reverse.

I am sure the management and players will give this a real go.......Wembley isn't that far away if we can get through.....it might take a replay though!

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:07 pm

Question - I know it doesn't apply to tomorrow's match, but had we ever been giantkillers in the Trophy before the win at Rovers? True, we have been in the top flight for many years of its existence, but I can't recall an occasion.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:21 pm

comrade powell wrote:Question - I know it doesn't apply to tomorrow's match, but had we ever been giantkillers in the Trophy before the win at Rovers? True, we have been in the top flight for many years of its existence, but I can't recall an occasion.

The Trophy's been around since 1969. It wasn't until 20 years later that the conference got linked into the League pyramid/structure, and another 10 years before conference clubs stopped being denied promotion due to their stadiums. So for most of the Trophy's existence there haven't really been many 'giants' around to kill in it Very Happy

It's only over the last 10 years especially that a number of the big boys from the Football League have gone down and stayed down for a prolonged period (Luton, Grimsby, Wrexham, Mansfield, Halifax, Oxford, Cambrridge etc etc). Prior to then there were few clubs who would have been much bigger than ourselves in the Trophy.

SteveBradley

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:28 pm

comrade powell wrote:Question - I know it doesn't apply to tomorrow's match, but had we ever been giantkillers in the Trophy before the win at Rovers? True, we have been in the top flight for many years of its existence, but I can't recall an occasion.

As a Southern League side we beat Carshalton, who were Conference South, in 2004, coming back from 2-0 down. Think Sam Bailey scored, this before he had a sex change and won X Factor.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by A36 Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:31 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:Was about to hit submit until I spotted a chance of revenge - we won three FA Trophy games in 2006. Beat Bishop's Cleeve, Sittingbourne (after replay) and Tooting & Mitcham (after replay) before losing to Farnborough in round one. After a replay. Three qualifying rounds in the FA Trophy, urgh.
It's a fair cop, guv! Nice One.
As Steve has identified, I don't think City have ever beaten an ex-Football League club in the FA Trophy. However, purely in terms of beating a team from a higher league, when City beat Carshalton Athletic in 2004, Carshalton were in Conference South whilst City were in the Southern League.
stillmanjunior wrote:As a Southern League side we beat Carshalton, who were Conference South, in 2004, coming back from 2-0 down.
You beat me to it!

A36

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:54 pm

pete mac wrote:You are not foolish at all Mark. Our away form has slumped in the league but we have done better in the Cups. Like you I fear tomorrow's game as we apparently haven't lost away at Wealdstone for 40 years? Cue someone putting me right!

We might be due a reverse.

I am sure the management and players will give this a real go.......Wembley isn't that far away if we can get through.....it might take a replay though!

Personally I fancy our chances more away and would not be confident we had done the hard part bringing them back to TP. Our performances at home in all cup competitions have been luke warm for some time. We gave it a go against FGR but ultimately fell short and that is the last home cup game I have enjoyed (notwithstanding the Somerset Cup when the youngsters have performed).
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:18 pm

pete mac wrote:I am sure the management and players will give this a real go.......Wembley isn't that far away if we can get through.....it might take a replay though!
Very true Pete. In fact, tomorrow, Wembley would be even closer if Wealdstone still played at Lower Mead rather than Ruislip!! Enjoy the game, beer, curry etc. Hopefully I'll be able to listen in on Kerslake Sport. C'mon The City bounce
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:42 pm

kermit wrote: In fact, tomorrow, Wembley would be even closer if Wealdstone still played at Lower Mead rather than Ruislip!!

I could be pedantic and say it depends how you get there. By car or on foot, Lower Mead would be closer to Wembley Stadium, but a train from the nearest station (Harrow & Wealdstone) would take you to Wembley Central, and it's a fair trek from there. Alternatively, one could walk through the centre of Harrow to catch the metro from Harrow on the Hill to Wembley Park. I'm not sure either would be quicker than the metro from Ruislip or Ruislip Manor (which I believe are both closer to the present ground) to Wembley Park...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:10 pm

comrade powell wrote:
kermit wrote: In fact, tomorrow, Wembley would be even closer if Wealdstone still played at Lower Mead rather than Ruislip!!

I could be pedantic and say it depends how you get there. By car or on foot, Lower Mead would be closer to Wembley Stadium, but a train from the nearest station (Harrow & Wealdstone) would take you to Wembley Central, and it's a fair trek from there. Alternatively, one could walk through the centre of Harrow to catch the metro from Harrow on the Hill to Wembley Park. I'm not sure either would be quicker than the metro from Ruislip or Ruislip Manor (which I believe are both closer to the present ground) to Wembley Park...  
Just a 5 minute brisk walk through the cemetery.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruislip Stone Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:07 pm

Looking forward to seeing a large contingent of visiting fans to the Vale tomorrow and the prematch food being served in the clubhouse is curry and rice by @RollingKitchen. Real ales are also available as well as the usual beers and cider,the bar is open from 12 and we look forward to welcoming you to our clubhouse

Ruislip Stone

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:57 pm

Thanks Ruislip - we're looking forward to as good a day as Stones' fans enjoyed at Twerton before Xmas!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:13 am

[quote="A36"]
stillmanjunior wrote:Was about to hit submit until I spotted a chance of revenge - we won three FA Trophy games in 2006. Beat Bishop's Cleeve, Sittingbourne (after replay) and Tooting & Mitcham (after replay) before losing to Farnborough in round one. After a replay. Three qualifying rounds in the FA Trophy, urgh.
It's a fair cop, guv!  Nice One.

1-1 draw. Replay at Twerton.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:47 am

I'm glad our fan Twitter pages are a bit friendlier than the horrible @Wealdstone_FC one, we've already been called a shower this morning and the other week we were cheating whatever's.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruislip Stone Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:26 am

I believe the poster intended it as bit of a pun that had washed over you

Ruislip Stone

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:57 pm

Maybe it gave me a sinking feeling when I saw it

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:47 pm

City 3-1 up for those not there - Watkins, Kington and Artus

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by A36 Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:04 pm

Dominant first half from City. Camped in the Wealdstone penalty area. Also hit the bar and had a couple cleared off the line. The concern is that it was assisted by the wind and the slope. The second half could be very different.

A36

Back to top Go down

Post by A36 Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:25 pm

The good news is that the wind has changed direction. The bad news is that Wealdstone are on top second half and getting very close to scoring. The good news is that City are still making chances, including a screamer from Adelsbury that went just wide. If City could nick a goal here it could be enough.

A36

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:43 pm

flash scores credit the first goal to Dan Ball.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:47 pm

bit early for stearn to come on
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:49 pm

farnborough drawing so our game Tuesday will be off
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie Hitler Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:00 pm

Last 16 then!
Is the next round still regional?
Eddie Hitler
Eddie Hitler

Back to top Go down

Post by miker Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:10 pm

Farnborough's replay is on Monday so we can still play them Tuesday Very Happy

miker

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:15 pm

What a great win! Well done to players management and travelling fans. On the road to Wembley.

Did a great job today......41 years....

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next