Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When was terracing installed at the Bristol End?

+15
Luton Roman
striped67
Ancient Mariner
cannonball
miker
Micawber
old londoner
2weirdtown
Steve Hill
Dodgycarpet
stillmanjunior
pete mac
comrade powell
bonzodog
MaryS
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

When was terracing installed at the Bristol End? - Page 2 Empty Re: When was terracing installed at the Bristol End?

Post by comrade powell Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:59 am

Yes, definitely before Rovers' arrival. I thought it was accepted that it was paid for from the Plymouth cup matches of 1977...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

When was terracing installed at the Bristol End? - Page 2 Empty Re: When was terracing installed at the Bristol End?

Post by Luton Roman Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:20 am

On page 187 of the good book it says that the first phase of the £18000 terracing was complete at the end of the 77/78 season.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:57 am

stillmanjunior wrote:Having a look through the Good Book I'm struggling to find an exact date for when the terrace was installed. There's mention of some upgrades in 1979 but not about the Bristol End. Kingswood Charlie also sent me a similar pic to one which Powell mentions.

Anyone have a clearer idea? I was going to write a bit about it for Saturday's programme.

I can't recall any other upgrades to the ground at the time of the Bristol End being terraced. The other major change was the selling off of land behind the pop side and the cover being moved several steps nearer the pitch to make room. The said cover had also been extended to cover the whole length of the touchline (photo on P178 of TGB for the shorter version). But this was some years before 77/78, as was the demolition of the air raid shelters. Would be interested to know about the removal of the old press box, which stood where the present family stand is (P135 + P158 TGB). It was replaced by a first aid facility (St John's Ambulance?).
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

When was terracing installed at the Bristol End? - Page 2 Empty Cover

Post by pete mac Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:43 pm

Cover on the popular side was extended circa 78. I can remember the frames being up without the covers.

This and the Bristol end were all part of our attempt to get into the football league.....Wigan beat us to it!!!!!!

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:05 pm

I stand corrected! Yes, I remember turning up for a match back then and finding my usual pop side spot was open to the elements...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:45 pm

Phil Tanner has sent me some of the photos from his collection showing the ground in the past...
The first 2 are probably from the late 60s, while the 3rd shows Jimmy Jenkins shooting at the Dartford goal. This was March 78, a few months before the terracing was built...

Last edited by comrade powell on Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:48 pm

When was terracing installed at the Bristol End? - Page 2 Bath_c10
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:50 pm

When was terracing installed at the Bristol End? - Page 2 Bath_c11
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:52 pm

When was terracing installed at the Bristol End? - Page 2 28_jen10
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:57 pm

Many thanks to Phil for sharing these photos with us (and also to BenE for showing me how to upload them to the forum!)

Phil wonders if there might be some supporters interested in seeing more of his old photos. I certainly would and if there's enough interest, perhaps we could have an evening of nostalgia at the club. What do you think?

And how many players in the 2nd photo can you name?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by MaryS Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:58 pm

miker wrote:I also think that the terracing was put in by Rovers but that the temporary stand was put in for the visit of Bolton but I could well be wrong, twas all a long time ago.

I also thought that it was put in by Rovers, whereas my brother thought it was earlier - hence my original question.

I did find a video on You Tube, interviewing one of the Rovers Directors about the move to Twerton Park, and the Bristol end terracing can be seen in the background - so that shot my theory down in flames.

Great photos Comrade - I would certainly be interested in seeing more. It's fascinating to see how the ground has evolved over the years.

MaryS

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:03 pm

I agree, Mary.
If you look carefully at the 2nd photo, you can see the crush barriers on the other side of the fence, from the time when the pop side extended some distance further back. And Bas's shop can be seen in photo 1 before it was sadly demolished.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Micawber Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:10 am

Must say i can hardly recognise any players in the second photo. I think it must be pre season training in the early 60s and quite a few are trialists. The lad in the centre wearing the quartered shirt looks a lot like Jim (Jamie) Hardman, while i'm pretty certain the player 3rd from the right at the back is Paul Abrahams. They both lived at Foxhill.

Micawber

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:50 am

I would love to see these photos .... I think sorting out an evening of nostalgia is a great idea. In my job I recently met an older Twerton resident who told me she had lots of Bath City memorabilia, photo'sprogrammes etc....my eyes lit up at the time, but didn't think it was appropriate to start looking at it all then. If a night does get organised, I would be happy to go and see her with one of the more "mature" City fans to ask her if we could borrow them.
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:54 am

If anyone has anything like these photos (and words) which could be used for the programme give me a shout. Unfortunately Phil's excellent photos missed the deadline for the Alty one (Kingswood Charlie provided a great one instead) but they'll definitely be useful.

So, when was the terracing brought forward from Freeview Road?...
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:06 am

The terracing was definitely paid for out of the Plymouth match proceeds and started at the end of that season. I know for
sure - remember it well!

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:40 am

I think a nostalgia night is a great idea.

Afterwards (or instead) I would be happy to put the photos on the website in the archive section.

As has now been confirmed the terrace was in place long before Rovers came - I remember it from my first games in early 1980. What they did do at that end of the ground was put up the temporary stand following the main stand fire.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:10 am

I'm sure someone had a photo of that temporary seating as well.

And on the original Screen Soccer videos some of the games show fencing at the Bristol End at the front, this would have been 1991. Didn't notice it elsewhere in the ground, not sure if Rovers needed it up when they played at our place and assuming it would have been taken down in the aftermath of Hillsborough.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:15 am

Micawber wrote:Must say i can hardly recognise any players in the second photo. I think it must be pre season training in the early 60s and quite a few are trialists. The lad in the centre wearing the quartered shirt looks a lot like Jim (Jamie) Hardman, while i'm pretty certain the player 3rd from the right at the back is Paul Abrahams. They both lived at Foxhill.

Jim did play a few games for the reserves then injured his knee.
Nostalgia night is a good idea. I'm sure the Chronic must have plenty of stuff.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by MaryS Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:28 am

The training photo is a bit before my time, but taking a wild guess, I did wonder if it was coach Malcolm Allison in the quarters? (Although he was probably older than that by the time he was here)

MaryS

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:30 am

Would the tall bloke in white shirt and socks be Ian Henderson?

And do you mean the regular supporter, Jim Harman?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:44 pm

Interested in a nostalgia evening.

What about including a memorabilia sale with proceeds towards the community initiative? I have some memorabilia and old shirts which I'd be happy to sell on for modest sums.

Maybe Palms could do a short video of old footage including that priceless Brighton 1960 film.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon_BOA Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:03 pm

Am loving the old photos, it is odd to see something that is so familiar but different at the same time.

In reference to the crush barriers being visible "outside" of the ground, how long were there remenants of the enlarged terrace remaining after we'd sold that land?

Jon_BOA

Back to top Go down

When was terracing installed at the Bristol End? - Page 2 Empty when was terracing installed at twerton park

Post by SASCHA Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:14 pm

I'm sure you are correct about Ian Henderson Martin.
However as MaryS mentioned the guy in the quartered shirt, the Malcom Allison lookalike, to the right of Ian Henderson. I believe is the big powerful inside forward Doug Clarke.

SASCHA

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:27 pm

comrade powell wrote:Would the tall bloke in white shirt and socks be Ian Henderson?

And do you mean the regular supporter, Jim Harman?

Yes, Jim Hardman
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next