Go down

crrrrraaaaasssshhhhh Empty crrrrraaaaasssshhhhh

Post by bonzodog on Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:21 pm

Down to earth with a bang once more.

bonzodog

Back to top Go down

crrrrraaaaasssshhhhh Empty Re: crrrrraaaaasssshhhhh

Post by yuffie on Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:09 pm

Decent opening 10 minutes then nearly all Wealdstone for the rest of the first half, although they looked pretty toothless.

Completely different second half where we were completely in control and they appeared to settle for a point from the word go. Didn't create much though, Watkins pulled a good chance narrowly wide and their keeper made a couple of good saves - especially from Pratt late on. Then from absolutely nowhere they score four minutes into five of stoppage time (most for their time-wasting). Given the number of mis-hit and scuffed passes that seemed to find another one of their players I guess the nature of their goal was fitting - Mellor's block falling straight to their no.11 and his low shot going through a couple of players into the net.

Disappointing though we've played worse and won this season. And fair play to Wealdstone, one of the few Conference South sides who have ever lived up to their boasts of how many fans they were going to bring -150ish I would think.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:14 pm

A very frustrating result. We started fairly well but the middle hour of the game saw the team's cancelling each other out. Wealdstone seemed to be falling further and further back as we regained the ascendancy, but their defence coped well under pressure. A pity Mellor's mistake led to their winner as he had looked good previously, but his poor clearances are becoming very costly.

Excellent turnout by Stones' fans - they helped create a good atmosphere. With both teams winning their away fixture, I think the trophy match could be very interesting.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown on Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:14 pm

A fair summary. We didn't get any entertainment for our money though until Stearn's introduction.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior on Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:20 pm

Perfect away performance by Wealdstone. Soak up our crosses/balls forward (I can see how they haven't conceded a goal for ages) and try and hit us on the break. Incredibly frustrating to watch, even more when we lose, but their game plan worked to perfection.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie on Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:27 pm

I think without seeing it again that's a bit harsh on Mellor. He just had to get to the ball ahead of the striker. That it fell perfectly to another Wealstone player and he scored was a bit unlucky.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:45 pm

No, I'm referring to his rushed clearance which went to their player who played the ball back into the area. But I think he should have also made a better job of handling that.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie on Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:35 pm

comrade powell wrote:No, I'm referring to his rushed clearance which went to their player who played the ball back into the area. But I think he should have also made a better job of handling that.

Ah right. Fair enough.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac on Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:37 pm

Good atmosphere today made by the wealdstone fans whose team did a job on us. We are a classically inconsistent mid table side. 4 defeats in 5 and 9 in 19. Need to win a few soon to keep the second half of the season alive.

I wish Mellor hadn't rushed the kick that led to the goal but we were trying to win it!

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield on Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:41 pm

I think Mellor had continued his assured form from the Rover's game, he was just unfortunate re the fact his stp fell to their player. I would question whether Stearn's introduction caused all the excitement in the game. We started well and I felt things started to drift back into our favour prior to his introduction. I have been an advocate for Stearn from the fact that he's an "impact player", the Gloster game being the perfect positive example. I thought he was a little indulgent in the stepovers today though, and made a couple of poor decisions. I will also be interested to see the video of the build-up to the Stones goal...I can't remember if it was that or the previous move, but I'm sure he'd given away possession. I don't want this to come across as a slagging of a Stearn, as I feel that this is the nature of what he offers .... A bit of a Ginola I suppose!
Within 15 minutes I had the feeling one goal was going to decide the game and the law of averages suggested that would mean we should have won it.... But not to be today. I don't think the players or fans should be too down heartened as if they put in a similar shift over the next couple of weeks, we'll come away with some decent results.
Final point....I think Pratty is still not 100 per cent fitness wise and this is what's took the wind out of City's sails over these last few weeks. Does anyone now what the injury is? When he came on as a sub in the home game against St Albans, I think it was that he had a sore hip(?)
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by MaryS on Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:04 pm

My first game of the season, and we had a good afternoon. As a non regular, it did appear that the introduction of Stearn upped the tempo, and it felt more likely that City would score. But sod's law that they scored in the time added on, mainly for the time wasting from their goalkeeper.

Cracking atmosphere, and the burgers alone were worth the trip.

I'll certainly be back before the season ends - real football santa

MaryS

Back to top Go down

Post by Skyblue on Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:05 am

I don't usually comment on here for obvious reasons but this from Bath City Website:

"Although Mellor was alert to reach the ball first but his clearance dropped perfectly to Turner, whose low shot found the net past several City defenders to send the large travelling Stones support into rapture."

And this from the Chronicle :

"A poor defensive header left Jason Mellor with a point-blank save to make and in his urgency to get the ball forward and launch one final City attack it spilled from the keeper’s hands, allowing Joe Turner to step in and fire the Stones to victory."

Left his Grandmother so incensed and me figuring I'd watched a different game, I thought I'd put this up so you could all see what really happened.

Skyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie on Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:00 am

To be honest I've read more inaccurate descriptions of goals in our games (mainly from the BBC in our Premier days and the NLP) and if you combine parts of them it is more or less what happened. However, I've amended the website to reflect what actually happened.

It is always difficult to see what happened with goals we've conceded from the other end of the pitch. From where I was I thought Jason had had to come out his box therefore was trying to clear the ball rather then claim it and was unlucky to knock it straight to their no.11.

One aside, to my mind the video shows Jason as more culpable for the goal than I initially thought. Though it does also show some pretty woeful defending.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie on Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:04 am

Dusty Lynfield wrote:I think Pratty is still not 100 per cent fitness wise and this is what's took the wind out of City's sails over these last few weeks.  Does anyone now what the injury is? When he came on as a sub in the home game against St Albans, I think it was that he had a sore hip(?)

I think it is a back problem. He has looked a shadow of the player he was a month ago and it's no coincidence that our performances/results have dipped in that time. If rest will improve it then I think it's worth giving him a break over the remainder of the Christmas/New Year period. We've got McCootie and/or Stearn to use up front and if we get a fitter Pratt back in January then great.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:39 am

My mistake and apologies to Mellor - film clip shows that the move leading to the goal started with a throw in not his poor clearance, which must have happened just before.

As for Pratt, quite agree with Yuffie. Would be madness for him to start each of the 4 games in 9 days we are facing. We need him for the new year and before then it's time for McCootie to show that he can cut it at this level. Stearn would be an alternative and might be worth trying. But a fully fit Pratt is what's needed to unlock that excellent Wealdstone defence in the Trophy match.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet on Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:55 am

Looks like a classic case of a central defender mistakenly trying to play off side and letting the striker get goal side....

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash on Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:18 am

Very poor header from Phil, should have got a lot more distance on it OR preferably a simple glance back to Jason.  As the ball from Wealdstone was a pass, not a shot, Jason should have gathered. Sad
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:42 am

I agree with Yuffie and Comrade re Pratty..... Let's give him a rest over Christmas and start him refreshed for the Wealdstone game (maybe a subs appearance in the game against Maidenhead....but no more). Stearn and McCootie up front.....could be interesting...!!!
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:52 am

There is little doubt that stern introduced some impetus to our play. He tried a couple of things that didn't come off but I would humbly suggest that walshes appalling header had more of an impact on the result.
I think Jase was a bit unlucky and indeed the whole side given their efforts throughout the match. I have to say though that we were the better side when we kept it on the deck. For some reason after ten minutes we started looking for the quick ball forward whenever we got it and immediately conceded possession to Wealdstone who were bigger and notably stronger all round the pitch.
This is a management issue pure and simple.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by bonzodog on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:53 am

poor header from Phil Walsh led to the goal. if that had been Stearny I'm sure the management would be making it another case for him not to start.....

bonzodog

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:57 am

Is Keary injured?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie on Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:21 pm

BenE wrote:
This is a management issue pure and simple.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who was stood near the dugouts who heard Rollo/Howells/Britton telling the players to stop passing the ball around and lump it forward after 10 minutes.

If not it's almost as if Wealdstone began to play better and force us into going more direct.

If they did at least they changed their mind at half time and told the players to go back to plan A in the second half.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:48 pm

Good grief, Walsh and Mellor make mistakes that directly lead to the goal and people are still trying to pin it on Stearn? Ridiculous. Stearn brought a lot to the game and would have brought a lot if he had been introduced earlier. He may make mistakes in decision making but that is because he is trying stuff (similar with Bowman). If you don't do anything, you don't make mistakes. It worries the opposition and excites us.

Anyway, the perennial Stearn discussion out of the way, Pratt is definitely off the pace and it is almost certainly down to this back injury. I am not sure that McCooty is the answer to, well, anything. He has been really terrible recently, not able to hold the ball up, head the ball or shoot on target. Maybe a Hemmings-like change of position would work for him but that sort of luck can't happen twice. The latter had another excellent game yesterday. Maybe he is worth another go up front if Pratt has to sit out a couple of games. Mind you, I think that we need him in front of the back four presently.

Can't disagree with most on here. They were on top the first half and we were the second and the goal was against the run of play. Their supporters were great (and very generous to the Foodbank buckets) and it was good to have two vocal groups of supporters there and, of course, well over 600 in attendance
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:53 pm

I definitely wouldn't try Chaz up front - he is just about our best player at present and he should be retained in his favoured position.

I asked about Keary - if he's fit, a return to the defence would release Walsh to be tried up front. But the answer should be McCootie - if he's not, then move him on for someone else (assuming he's not on a contract)
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:01 pm

That's not at all a bad idea about Walsh up front actually. Keeps him out of danger's way at the other end as well.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum