Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sutton Away

+8
Dusty Lynfield
Mcnulty
Luton Roman
A36
bonzodog
richmadrid
comrade powell
Mark Tanner
12 posters

Go down

Sutton Away Empty Sutton Away

Post by Mark Tanner Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:37 am

I hope everyone on here is booking their coach seats and gearing up for a weekend following City away if you can.

If not I have written a Preview for this weekend's games in Bath (link in the sigi), some decent games of football, rugby and futsal going on.

I hope we see more of McCootie and Stearn this weekend though and we can make it 6 unbeaten!
Mark Tanner
Mark Tanner

Back to top Go down

Sutton Away Empty Re: Sutton Away

Post by comrade powell Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:39 pm

You can always chance turning up on the day as every away league game on a Saturday they run a 48 seat coach so there is usually space.

Just need to point out that while the large coach is always booked, insufficient interest would mean a smaller one would run instead. So it's wise to check with Bas rather than just turning up, as there might not be any spaces.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Tanner Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:40 am

'Always chance' covers that, it was just to try and get any floating fans coming down today. There was also a link to this very forum for info on how to book.

It'll be clearer next weekend!
Mark Tanner
Mark Tanner

Back to top Go down

Post by richmadrid Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:22 pm

Another stirring second half performance by City to take us up the league. Superman Pratt among the goals again....

richmadrid

Back to top Go down

Post by bonzodog Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:34 pm

bleeding great result at Sutton. Well done City Boys!!

bonzodog

Back to top Go down

Post by A36 Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:02 pm

Players' coach didn't arrive at the ground until about 2pm (supporters' coach didn't arrive until about 2:20pm). So, wasn't the ideal preparation, and City didn't really create much in the first half, in spite of plenty of possession. Couldn't complain about being 1-0 down at half time.

City looked a bit more positive in the second half. It was a clear foul on Stearn for the penalty, andwas a goal scoring opportunity, so red card was right. Coolly taken penalty by Pratt, in spite of the goalkeepers antics with his gloves.

Stunning strike from well outside the box by Adelsbury, although it did come completely out of the blue, to take the lead. And, finally, huge relief when Pratt prodded home from inside the six yard box in injury time to wrap up the points.

Nice easy journey home too.

A36

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:35 pm

Yep agree with Alan, first half bit of a non event with neither side creating much, indeed we couldnt remember either keeper making a save during the game. The Stearn for Watkins switch seemed to be the difference with Ross being involved in the first and crossing for Pratt's tap in at the end. Addlesbury's sublime strike out of keeping with the game but who cares, a great 3 points from a difficult venue though Sutton seemed a shadow of last season's team. Great noisy support from City fans well received by the team. Onwards and upwards.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcnulty Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:05 pm

Great result. Full credit to the lads but also the management- working some wonders with a very thin squad at present. Lots of players to come back. I listened to the radio commentary and was just silently berating Adelsbury for seemingly continuously giving the ball away and then he hit that screamer.Never heard the commentary team so excited! Great stuff.

A good day all round with that lovely club Whitehawk losing 4-3 at home with 2 goals in the last ten minutes. Would like to have been sat beside their obnoxious directors to witness that! Very Happy

Mcnulty

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:26 pm

Couldn't agree more about Whitehawk - hopefully will beat them 4-1 at the away fixture. Agree also re words of praise for Management .... I like many we're dishing out the criticism at the start of the season, but they have really turned things around in the last month or so.
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcnulty Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:05 am

I was also critical of the management, I still think some of those early home performances were pretty appalling and they made mistakes but yes, credit where it is due. Away form has been pretty fantastic since that first game. Be nice to see the same at home. Glad to hear stearn played well when he came on yesterday- I think he is still a dangerous player in this league if played in the right position.

Mcnulty

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:34 am

Well he was played in the right position and did well when he came on by being central to two of our goals. BUT. At 2-1 up in injury time he tried a trick in an exposed midfield position, with Simmo free to receive a simple pass, and he lost it. Their route to goal was open but they fluffed it when someone ran offside. It was such a stupid thing to do I can't blame the management for not playing him more. Once he improves his decision making he will become a much better player.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:11 am

Good point Demon. Listening on the radio that was a key moment. Having worked hard to get ahead you have to be disciplined..he helped us win the game though........impact player I think.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:58 am

Agree about the stupid mistake by Stearn giving the ball away but I still think he should play more. Things tend to happen when he is on the pitch, ok, not all good but to me a lot more good than bad. Also I think Chas Hemmings deserves credit. Lots of people were writing him off when he had not been given a chance. He obviosuly has limitations but put in another good shift yesterday and we need someone like him who is not easily knocked off the ball.
Their keeper got a lot of stick, he was blatantly employing gamesmanship trying to put Pratt off with the something in his eye business from the penalty. No sympathy for him. Thought the ref did better second half, also when their no 4 went down with the customery scream and rolling around trying to get our player booked he soon recovered when the ref sent him to the touchline.
Great second half, at last the management seem to be getting more from the players who are showing what they can do. Early season they were just not getting the best from the players available.
Sorry to see Bowman injured but Phil Walsh reckons he will be back in a few weeks, would like to think so as after his injury did not expect to see him again this season. Hope he does not try and come back too soon.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:43 am

Wise words, Steve. Would echo your comments about Big Chaz, who I am quickly warming to. A pity he didn't score from that golden opportunity in the 2nd half, but he contributes in other areas. Yes, Stearn made an excellent contribution, but like the Whippet of a few years back, I think his role will continue as an impact sub. Hopefully he will accept that as he certainly is a valuable option to turn to on the bench.

Sutton's gamesmanship brought back memories of Brazil's pathetic approach during the WC, while their manager (?) should surely have been red carded for his prolonged outburst at the officials following the penalty/sending off decisions.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcnulty Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:48 pm

I am a big Stearn fan but I cannot fault the management this season. He makes some bad decisions especially when he receives the ball deep and doesn't fit into the current shape which seems to be working so well. He is what he is, if he could take the sensible option more often then he would be a better player for it. He does make things happen though- most of them good!
Big Chas- pleased for him, on first site he looked like just about the poorest player we have ever signed- I mistakenly thought he was a target man.
I am glad he now seems to be thriving - I presume once Artus is fit we either change the shape or adelsbury will make way. All very positive with several key players hopefully coming back soon.

Mcnulty

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:07 pm

I'm not sure Artus will walk straight back in when he's finally fit. One of the problems during our poor start to the season was that the midfield offered such poor protection to the defence, and I thought he looked particularly lightweight. Our management's priority has always seemed to be to get the defensive side sorted first - if things appear to be working in that respect at last, don't expect things to be changed immediately. All hypothetical of course, as Artus gave no indication last week that he was anywhere near ready to return. And by the time he does, there may well be an opening provided by injury/suspension to someone else.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcnulty Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:14 pm

Can't agree with that comrade. I am all for balance but Artus looks to me like one of the best players we have had down here in the last 5 years. If we can't build a midfield around him then that would be a big shame. adelsbury, regardless of his stunner yesterday has never convinced me as an effective defensive midfield player. I actually thought artus tracked back and won the ball well in the few games I saw him in. He doesn't give the ball away cheaply which is another area where our early season performances led to pressure on the denfence.
To be honest, He'd be the first name on my team sheet maybe after Pratt based on performances this season.

Mcnulty

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:02 pm

I agree with McNulty, Artus needs to be back in the team once fit, due to the thin nature of the squad, I think an opening will come along naturally due to an injury, suspension anyway. Also, a word for Pat Keary. He's really kicked on over the last few weeks and seems much more mature than his years. A mate of mine is quite close to the Rovers set-up and he said there was a bit of tension within Rovers as to whether they should of released him....I'm starting to see why!
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:47 pm

Well as I said in August, it was Artus's occasional giving away of the ball which put our defence under pressure. But I agree, he looks very skillful - however, as we have found with others of his type, that doesn't always guarantee selection by our management. I can see a follow up to the Stearn debate on the horizon! Laughing    

Agree about Keary - we have looked far more solid at the back since he has come into the team. Another interesting selection dilemma will presumably arise when Walsh is available. He transformed our end to last season, yet many thought he looked very shaky before his injury.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcnulty Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:10 am

That's a good point, although I hope you are wrong on another stearn type debate! I'd definitely find a place for artus but whether the management see it that way is another matter. Balance looks good at the moment so let's hope this little run continues.
Agree on Keary, very assured - I'd personally play Walsh alongside hiim. Kington has also quietly impressed, and has really put in a shift. I still feel we look at our weakest when we have adelsbury and allen as our central midfielders - I don't think they complement each other at all.

Mcnulty

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:56 am

Mcnulty wrote:I hope you are wrong on another stearn type debate!

Provided it doesn't get personal with abuse of other forum members, as sometimes happened on this one's predecessor, I think it's good to debate. It would be very boring if we all agreed on everything. My only disagreement re Stearn is that I don't think he should be an automatic selection. I think he's very skilfull, quick, enthusiastic, has an eye for goal and is able to lift the crowd. Some appear to think that he would lose these attributes with an approach which is more geared to the team, but I don't agree.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcnulty Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:48 am

Just felt it became a very divisive topic. i felt his form suffered as well- half the ground wanted him on the pitch so he would come on for the last twenty minutes and try to do too much.
He's talented, I'd like to see him play right wing and be given a very strict role to get the ball into the box and attack his full back.
I was firmly in the stearn should start camp last year but that was mainly as we were playing what I considered a less effective player in low in that position. This year, I can see the other side of the argument more- he doesn't get his head up enough and some times makes bad decisions in the wrong area of the field. I never really agreed with the defensive issues, he tracked back and worked far harder than low did but he does still try to do too much.
As for artus, for me he is the class of player that has to play if we have serious ambitions of a play off place. I think he is that good.

Mcnulty

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:57 pm

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:24 pm

Mcnulty wrote:
I was firmly in the stearn should start camp last year but that was mainly as we were playing what I considered a less effective player in low in that position.

Actually they both made 20 starts in the league, with Stearn also coming off the bench in 19 more compared to Low's 14. Where Stearn outshone him in the stats was with 3 times as many goals (and probably more assists).
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down