Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new striker

+8
Timbo_b-o-a
Dave
Marc Monitor
SteveS
stillmanjunior
BenE
comrade powell
Luton Roman
12 posters

Go down

new striker Empty new striker

Post by Luton Roman Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:44 pm

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

new striker Empty Re: new striker

Post by comrade powell Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:56 pm

Interesting. Were Barca the Spanish league club mentioned?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:58 pm

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:59 pm

Presumably we are going to go for all out attack in future. I would have said what we needed was a centre half.

Has Chas Hemmings bit the dust?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:11 pm

Luton Roman wrote:http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/dunstabletownfc/forum/pipemans-reports-20142015-47781/nearly-an-upset-in-somerset-643757.html#p643757  

Dunstable's Pipeman's view of his recent man of the match performance against them.

Our good friend certainly doesn't go in for brief match summaries! Very Happy
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:02 pm

I saw him play at Paulton last year against Bishop's Cleeve, think he scored twice in a 4-1 win. Looked like quite a handful and think he scored a decent amount last season.

My guess is this will be the end of Hemmings but have to wait and see.

new striker 34-mcc11
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:09 pm

Thought we might have tried to sign him in the close season. He likes to put himself about and is rated highly. Did Paulton not have him on a contract? He would appear to be a good signing but I am afraid I have lost a lot of faith in Britten and Howells. They have other players here who are better than they have been showing, they don't play to players strenghs and get the best out of them. This guy has been successful playing in a certain way - will they try and change it? Someone said we need a defender - agreed - will the next master plan be to try and convert him to a defender!

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:06 am

comrade powell wrote:Interesting. Were Barca the Spanish league club mentioned?

Could be Eibar. It is the same size as Paulton.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:31 am

Ontinyent CF

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:45 am

looks like they should have signed him - 19th in table and only scored 3 goals...

http://uk.soccerway.com/teams/spain/ontinyent-cf/9077/
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Timbo_b-o-a Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:39 pm

Sounds like a quality mun, excited about this. For budgetry reasons you'd think poor Hemmings would have to go.
Timbo_b-o-a
Timbo_b-o-a

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:50 pm

What encourages me is the fact that we are looking to recruit from the local area. Hopefully he will be given a chance very soon and will be able to adjust quickly to the higher level of football. And it's a good sign that Paulton seem very sorry to see him go!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:09 pm

Bet he's on the bench tomorrow until we're 3-0 down. I'm telling you Brian!
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by caldred Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:38 pm

Seen Nick McCootie play many times, twice this season! A real handful and is a real pest upfront. Probably was playing at a level too low for him. IMHO I think he will settle within any Conference North/South side. Good control, aggressive, physical, bags of energy and scores a heck of a lot of goals. Great signing by the management - just play him regularly to get the best out of him!

caldred

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:42 pm

Hope he's not been brought in as a 'different option' like Hemmings, would love to see him and Pratt form a partnership with Stearn and Watkins as wingers, dreamy attack.

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:19 am

I see that he was an unused sub in Paulton's FA Cup game. Does that mean he is not cup tied?
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:01 am

caldred wrote:Seen Nick McCootie play many times, twice this season! A real handful and is a real pest upfront. Probably was playing at a level too low for him. IMHO I think he will settle within any Conference North/South side. Good control, aggressive, physical, bags of energy and scores a heck of a lot of goals. Great signing by the management - just play him regularly to get the best out of him!

Based on his performance on Saturday, I'd say you were spot on with that summary. Perhaps you should be scouting for city! Very Happy
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by bonzodog Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:06 pm

kermit wrote:I see that he was an unused sub in Paulton's FA Cup game. Does that mean he is not cup tied?

FA Cup has a specific rule (15g) that clearly states that an unused sub can play for another club in the competition in the same season. However, with "play" seeming to be the operative word, I would guess that the interpretation would be as defined in the FA Cup rules.

bonzodog

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcnulty Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:52 pm

Agree, Caldred needs to be employed as a scout, maybe find us a defensive midfielder and a left winger/ midfielder next!
I thought it was a fantastic debut. Really good team performance but I think he was pivotal in giving us direction.

Mcnulty

Back to top Go down

Post by caldred Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:59 pm

Mcnulty wrote:Agree, Caldred needs to be employed as a scout, maybe find us a defensive midfielder and a left winger/ midfielder next!
I thought it was a fantastic debut. Really good team performance but I think he was pivotal in giving us direction.

In that case my suggestions would be (from the players I rate and seen play many times in those roles);

Defensive Midfielder: Ian Herring, (Hungerford Town) 30 years old. I think a lot of people are familiar with Herring (probably for all the wrong reasons), although he is a player with a poor discipline record, he is a leader on the pitch. Tough tackling, vocal, good header of the ball, passes it well and a hard worker who is prepared to slog it out whatever the result is. Highly experienced with Swindon/Chippenham/Salisbury/Northwich Victoria/Forest Green/Eastleigh/Hungerford. Been captain at some point for every club he's been at (apart from Swindon). Almost like a defensive version of Lewis Hogg. http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/photos/9701/the-giant-killers-northwich-victoria-1-0-charlton-athletic-fa-cup.html?pid=1213

Midfielder: Bryan Smith, (Chippenham Town) 31 years old. Good first touch, very brave, holds the ball well and spreads play nicely. Experienced player (Swindon/Maidenhead/Coached in the States/Frome/Chippenham) and could easily adapt to Conference North/South football. http://www.thefa.com/thefacup/news/2013/sep/frome-town-bognor-regis-fa-cup-preview

Left Winger: Brandon Barnes, (Paulton Rovers) 21 years old. Natural left footed winger, skillful, great set-piece taker, pacy and very attacking. Only problem is he sometimes does too much (trait of Ross Stearn), but still young and still learning. Won't be surprised if he gets snapped up by a Conference North/South side at some point in the near future (had a trial with Gloucester in the July 2011). Former clubs include Bitton/Chippenham/Paulton. http://www.somersetguardian.co.uk/Brandon-Barnes-injury-time-free-kick-seals/story-20324632-detail/story.html

It's surprising to see how much talent there is in the lower leagues of football, some of which probably haven't ever been given the opportunity to go up in the football pyramid! I could list at least 50!

I don't think any of these players are on a 'proper' contract, a 7 day approach for a player is often used below the level of Conference Premier. I doubt any of these players would be getting anything near the amount of what most of our players are being paid. Would of been nice to grab these players on a trial at some point during pre-season (they would of likely joined for trial, Bath City is still one of the biggest non-league clubs in the South-West) to see how they would cope, but hey, who am I to say that these players would match your criteria. Just my personal opinion.

caldred

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:08 pm

Well Herring certainly wouldn't match mine! Evil or Very Mad

Interesting thoughts about picking up local players, something Bath City have failed miserably in for far too many years. So do you ever watch us these days, Caldred?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by caldred Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:33 pm

comrade powell wrote:Well Herring certainly wouldn't match mine! Evil or Very Mad

Interesting thoughts about picking up local players, something Bath City have failed miserably in for far too many years. So do you ever watch us these days, Caldred?

I knew he would be a controversial choice, the same goes with Lewis Hogg whenever he is mentioned on other forums - some think he is a born hooligan!

Every other home game Comrade, although I do watch a vast amount of football at all levels in non-league - can be a great insight and very interesting in terms of players, grounds and history. I will however be at Twerton Park this Saturday.

caldred

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Barnes is a player I'm surprised hasn't come up more often, always exciting the few times I've seen him for Paulton, scored in both of the last two of their games I saw. Pretty sure that Lee and Adie have looked at him, vaguely remember hearing he'd trained with us although I might be thinking of someone else

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcnulty Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:18 pm

Caldred, great stuff, really interesting. I'd actually have someone like Hogg back as he gave us bite, I didn't think he was a headcase, just a winner with a bit of a short fuse.
I think we are maybe a bit of a nice team.
Agree, the lower leagues ought to be a good source of players as we have so many teams locally just that one step below. They won't all be as immediately successful as the lad on Saturday but at least it gives the coaches a chance to properly assess them over the course of a few games - and as alluded to above, it's cheap!

Mcnulty

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcnulty Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:23 pm

I like the idea of the younger left winger. I also think stearn is potentially a massive asset if we are brave enough to play two wingers it gives us balance.
It might be a risk but let's be fair, we are better going forward.
What you don't want to see is stearn picking up the ball 50 yards from goal and trying to beat everyone or shoot from miles out. Limit his options , get the ball to him wide and he is very good winger in this league.

Mcnulty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down