The puppet master

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The puppet master Empty The puppet master

Post by Steve Hill on Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:05 pm

sorry but enough is enough surely it is time for Mr Howells and his puppet master Mr Briton to stand down Bath City need a new manager before its to late surely pinky and perky have got to go.

Steve Hill

Back to top Go down

The puppet master Empty Re: The puppet master

Post by comrade powell on Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:23 pm

I don't know about perky, but you're not getting rid of me! Very Happy
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:13 am

Steve Hill wrote:sorry but enough is enough surely it is time for Mr Howells and his puppet master Mr Briton to stand down Bath City need a new manager before its to late surely pinky and perky have got to go.

What do you think has gone wrong this season compared to last? Why have the performances gone downhill in your opinion?
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by bonzodog on Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:19 pm

Stillmanjnr, I'm interested to know why you think they should stay. You're very quick to ask 'Who would you bring in"

bonzodog

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior on Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:42 pm

I'll post my thoughts tonight about the whole thing, was side-tracked yesterday with another issue (see sig).

I don't mind people being constructive in saying why they should go, which is what 95% of the posts have been from what I've seen. We've conceded 10 goals at home and sit bottom of the league, I'm not stupid to believe that everyone is going to say that the management shouldn't be blamed for some of this miserable run. I just wondered what Steve thinks has gone wrong during Arch's tenure from what he's seen, as we certainly weren't this bad last season, even during some of the worst performances.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Hill on Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:42 pm

moral is obviously low it not just this season city have under achieved the last couple .I just think a new manager will kick start it back up city are stale and need someone with new ideas . I no you will disagree mark but that's my opinion . Very Happy

Steve Hill

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Hill on Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:53 pm

and as for who to bring in I will leave that to the board .

Steve Hill

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior on Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:54 pm

Have we? We were fringes of the play-offs last season, which was about where we expect to be. Year before we were mid-table, maybe a bit lower than expected but wasn't a massive disaster, was just a close league.

You're welcome to your opinion but is it based on the results alone or have you witnessed enough performances to decide the management have to go? If we start winning a few games and fly up the table under the same people, will you say they're doing a great job?
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Hill on Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:01 pm

When did we last have a good fa cup run .we never do well in the vase but the fa cup can bring in a lot of money and interest . im not arguing with you mark your always right so lets just agree to disagree .I know the top non league is not finacialy viable to use at the moment but when players of the past put on the shirt you could see the determination and grit .these lads seem depressed .

Steve Hill

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior on Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:11 pm

Steve Hill wrote:When did we last have a good fa cup run .we never do well in the vase but the fa cup can bring in a lot of money and interest . im not arguing with you mark your always right so lets just agree to disagree .I know the top non league is not finacialy viable to use at the moment but when players of the past put on the shirt you could see the determination and grit .these lads seem depressed .

We reached the 1st round in 2011 (admittedly only winning one game to get there, but earned a bit of money) and 2nd round in 2009, winning four games. Could be better but some clubs at our level have dreadful records in the FA Cup. As for the trophy, yes, our record in that is appalling, but that's been under a series of managers.

It's not a case of agreeing to disagree Steve, you're saying these lads seem depressed when playing for us which is quite a statement. Which games in particular that you've attended have you witnessed that? You, and others, have every right to be annoyed with how we're doing at the moment, not denying that, just wondered what has encouraged some of your quotes.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:02 pm

The issue for me is not who is right and wrong, but that many long time supporters appear to be turning their back on the club. It cannot exist on the continued loyalty of those die hards who will turn up even if we were playing at Larkhall's level. Ideally we would be attracting new fans to replace those whose interest has wavered. Performances of late are not going to do that. It doesn't matter why Steve, Bear, Sascha, Bristol Dome etc are disenchanted - we need them to return and the issue is how to do that!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by bristoldome on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:49 pm

To be fair I havent left yet! I am giving it serious consideration though which is a real shame. I have stood through a lot of awful games over the past couple of seasons and the only thing that will make a difference is the performances. If its with the current management then great but I cant see how that will happen. In light of this I think its time for a change but I dont have anything against them. Would love them to change and prove me wrong.

bristoldome

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:21 pm

As I don't know you, I will guess that those awful performances you have witnessed in the past 2 seasons were at Twerton. I've been a regular at City matches for many years and I can't recall many seasons when we have played attractive, winning football at home. Most of my favourite games have been on opponents' grounds where we seem to be able to play football which entertains and is generally successful. But I've frequently watched the home team play with confidence, attacking in numbers and wondered 'why can't we play like that at Twerton?' The end of last season saw 5 wins in as many games and I really hoped we could continue that trend. Instead we seem to have returned to the predictable fare which can only turn people off from coming.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Hill on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:30 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:
Steve Hill wrote:When did we last have a good fa cup run .we never do well in the vase but the fa cup can bring in a lot of money and interest . im not arguing with you mark your always right so lets just agree to disagree .I know the top non league is not finacialy viable to use at the moment but when players of the past put on the shirt you could see the determination and grit .these lads seem depressed .

We reached the 1st round in 2011 (admittedly only winning one game to get there, but earned a bit of money) and 2nd round in 2009, winning four games. Could be better but some clubs at our level have dreadful records in the FA Cup. As for the trophy, yes, our record in that is appalling, but that's been under a series of managers.

It's not a case of agreeing to disagree Steve, you're saying these lads seem depressed when playing for us which is quite a statement. Which games in particular that you've attended have you witnessed that? You, and others, have every right to be annoyed with how we're doing at the moment, not denying that, just wondered what has encouraged some of your quotes.
ive said all I am going to say on the subject Mark you keep wearing your rose tinted specs and I will not bother to come to twerton again and not bother to post on here . no one wants to see a manager sacked but enough is enough.

Steve Hill

Back to top Go down

Post by bristoldome on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:37 pm

Yes they were at twerton. Only been to W-S-M and Mangotsfield away from home so cant really comment on away performances. I have enjoyed some cracking games at twerton and particularly enjoyed the first of the two recent premier seasons. Its still the same management team so its a bit of a mystery.

bristoldome

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:49 pm

Steve Hill wrote:
stillmanjunior wrote:

ive said all I am going to say on the subject Mark you keep wearing your rose tinted specs and I will not bother to come to twerton again and not bother to post on here . no one wants to see a manager sacked but enough is enough.

Steve my main question is asking which recent games you've seen that have given you the impression that the players seem depressed? If you haven't been and you're basing it on results then just say, it just seemed quite a statement.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:54 pm

I only saw one really really appalling match last season which I think was Bromley at home. I have already seen three as bad this season.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior on Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:28 pm

I think you mean Basingstoke, the 0-1 with the worldie at the end? That was a forgettable performance. Bromley we did ok, bit unlucky to lose.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve on Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:41 am

comrade powell wrote:The issue for me is not who is right and wrong, but that many long time supporters appear to be turning their back on the club. It cannot exist on the continued loyalty of those die hards who will turn up even if we were playing at Larkhall's level. Ideally we would be attracting new fans to replace those whose interest has wavered. Performances of late are not going to do that. It doesn't matter why Steve, Bear, Sascha, Bristol Dome etc are disenchanted - we need them to return and the issue is how to do that!

Martin - with respect, I think that this is an all encompassing issue, and your comment has encouraged me to say the following: Many ex-diehard fans are not coming to Twerton Park any more. If this trend continues it will hit the Club finances big time. It is a myth now for anyone to say that the current team management is difficult for the Club to replace because it does the job for virtually nothing! By my reckoning the Saturday gate is down by about a 100 i.e. c£1,000 per home game; so the current team management is now becoming very expensive indeed! I suggest that the Board prepares itself to bring in someone else very soon (unless results improve rapidly).
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by bonzodog on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:57 am

Someone mentioned die-hard supporters not returning. The numbers of the group I stand with have dwindled considerably over the past few seasons. These are people who have watched City for over 40 years. Does anyone really care? Is anyone addressing this?

bonzodog

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet on Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:24 pm

A suggestions i made to the club a while back is to get the names, email, address, how long been watching city how many kids etc in some form - even if we gave a discount for completing the info. Then we have a picture of where our customers are from. Do we know how many regular supporters still live in bath? How can we target them? Not with posters great as that is as it keeps awareness of the club out there, but we can email them offers, post them discounts, etc. it's good to have newsletters that we all read but we need to target those who are not customers. This may sound very corporate but it works, isn't that difficult nowadays and is essential for a business with our turnover.

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:56 pm

I'm afraid I'm rather cynical about putting all this effort into attracting potential fans. To be fair to the club, I think it is making efforts in this area, but it's the product on the field which should be the selling point. And yet even when we were a mid-table BSP side for a few months and playing some great football against former league clubs, the Bath sporting public didn't flock to Twerton. They're hardly like to now with us at the bottom of Conf south playing unknowns like Whitehawk. No, it's the club's present supporter base which must be protected at all costs.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Twerton Parker on Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:02 pm

I'm a believer in success breeding success just as failure tends to breed failure. So with that in mind even though there's no way I can produce substantive figures for this but the general giste of my thoughts go something like this:

I'm told that some 40 or 50 years ago Bath Rugby was just a run-of-the-mill operation pulling in crowds of just a few hundred for their games on the Rec.  Over the last 20 years or so they have got their act together on the pitch and, numbers wise, look where they (as a business as well as a sports club) are now - bursting at the seems and looking to expand their capacity.  It is obvious from this that people want to watch good entertainment and will flock to something that meets this criteria. Now just go back to the heady days of our last Southern League promotion season and you'll recall crowds at City averaging around 700/750 per game - probably double what we're getting now.

So isn't it obvious that one way to address the current decline on both the pitch and, presumably, in the club's business situation is to start winning games and getting the crowd numbers up?  If the current management duo can begin to achieve this from hereon in then all well and good, let them carry on.  If they can't then regardless of whether or not we can afford to pay a new manager then a change for someone with fresh ideas (and a proven track record at this level) has to be made.  If things don't go our way in the next couple of weeks it will be madness not to make the change, however unpalatable it may be.

Twerton Parker

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet on Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:59 pm

Comrade I agree the existing fan base needs to be protected. I agree - the problem is we don't know who they are as only minority II guess come on here or twitter etc.
we don't know where they live, whether 400 come every game or 800 come every other game..... This is my point. It works and is so necessary if you have an average product as we do.... If we were top and playing scinitillating stuff the crowds would come- but we still would need to get this info ready for when the scintillating stuff stops as it always does for any club!

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet on Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:06 pm

And yes I was a teenager(?) when bath rugby club got 100s and bath city got 1000s through the gate. Of course being at the top of a less popular sport has helped but it shows things can turn around - a full ground creates a lot of the attraction for a paying customer. If you had bath v glos played at lansdown with a crowd of 10 not 10,000 I guarantee the spectators would not feel they had the same money's worth. If we could get 1500 in for a game and get the same revenue per game for a season that would be effort well spent.

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum