Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Loan Signing

+9
BenE
Micawber
comrade powell
Midsomer-steve
Marc Monitor
Beau Nash
davebart
Luton Roman
2weirdtown
13 posters

Go down

New Loan Signing Empty New Loan Signing

Post by 2weirdtown Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:30 pm

Bobby Dale 18 year old striker from Cheltenham.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

New Loan Signing Empty Re: New Loan Signing

Post by Luton Roman Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:38 pm

Hmmm, who is he going to displace? His manager is looking for him to have game time.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by davebart Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:51 pm

Generally we are expected to play loanees. presumably there is a feeling that we are creating chances and not converting which is why he has been brought in.

It seems a shame though to disrupt the team even further.

It is extremely difficult to predict what the team might be.

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:54 pm

http://www.ctfc.com/team/player-profile/bobbie-dale/22#zjjlI5zhqcGzAfR8.99

"Bobbie Dale signed a one year professional contract in May 2014 after progressing through the ranks of the Cheltenham Town Academy.

The 18 year-old striker made his professional debut for Cheltenham Town as a substitute in the 3-1 defeat to Plymouth Argyle. Bobbie is a tricky striker who has scored plenty of goals in the youth and reserve ranks. His progress under the guidance of Academy Manager Russell Milton helped him earn his professional contract with the club."

He was on loan to Bishop's Cleeve but as they are struggling, I guess, as a young striker, he found it difficult to make an impact.

He has the physical attributes, 6ft tall and the faith of some respected managers.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:27 pm

To me, he is a sub for Pratt and, in which case, drops Jennings further down the pecking order. I would have thought there was a case for Jennings going out on loan himself.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:29 pm

Guess you mean Hemmings

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:14 pm

Ha ha, he has been a bit anonymous.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:21 pm

Marc Monitor wrote:To me, he is a sub for Pratt and, in which case, drops Jennings further down the pecking order. I would have thought there was a case for Jennings going out on loan himself.

I agree.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:56 pm

davebart wrote:Generally we are expected to play loanees. presumably there is a feeling that we are creating chances and not converting which is why he has been brought in.

It seems a shame though to disrupt the team even further.

It is extremely difficult to predict what the team might be.

We are told that those in the under 21 team would prefer to get regular football at the likes of Shepton Mallet rather than warming the bench at Hayes. So we say a probable goodbye to those youngsters we have put time into developing and yet take on other clubs' probable neverwillbes. I hope to be proved wrong with this latest quick fix but I would argue it's a crazy policy...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Micawber Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:13 pm

I rather agree with Comrade. Very rarely over the years have loan signings of young strikers proved successful. The only one i can think of who made an instant impact was Bobby Zamora and as he was only here for a month he didn't really influence the seasons outcome. The lad we had from Gloucester last season was very poor and also, with the acquisition of Reid for a while, only went to prove what a very poor decision it was to release Charlie Griffin, who even this year i would much prefer to have in the squad than Hemmings.
I wonder how much in this case it was Cheltenham asking us to take this player on loan rather than us actively seeking another striker, when it is a replacement for Walsh that we are more in need of.

Micawber

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:36 pm

Some very good points made in these last two posts.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:26 pm

It does seem rather odd that with Phil Walsh probably out until February, Frankie Artus for a couple of weeks and Dan Ball doubtful for tomorrow we sign a striker, particularly one with no proven experience.

Comrade Powell's point is very valid - we produce players through our youth system, don't give them a chance in the first team and let them go off to other clubs (Jordan Ricketts is a good example) and then sign a youth player on loan from another club. Does seem a strange policy.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:27 pm

And another loanee from Newport.

We have to accept Zamora was the exception. Rarely do loan signings make a significant impact, bolster the squad and who knows the odd goal, assist or clean sheet is the benfit.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:18 pm

I was talking to a Rovers fan during the game and he said Rovers academy is exactly the same. Players brought through the system are few and far between.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by RUDI GULITS Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:55 pm

thought he looked good when he came on
also won us the pen
RUDI GULITS
RUDI GULITS

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:18 pm

Micawber wrote:The lad we had from Gloucester last season was very poor and also, with the acquisition of Reid for a while, only went to prove what a very poor decision it was to release Charlie Griffin, who even this year i would much prefer to have in the squad than Hemmings.

So would I! What was particularly annoying was the fact that we didn't make a move for Charlie when he became available last season. He's scoring regularly for Gloucester and is the Conf North player of the month...

http://www.gloucestercityafc.com/?p=5421
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Disappointed Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:08 am

I have followed trends on the Youth subject for some time. My son is one who has left the 'Academy' to play in the Southern League. He was enticed to join the club with promises of first team access and regular games at Bishops Sutton (we are not naïve, and realise that you have to earn a place, but if good enough for Southern League at 18 surely good enough to be involved in training!) but he got one session and no involvement in pre-season. He along with some of his friends previously mentioned on this forum have no trust in the current regime and feel better served by going elsewhere. I raised this issue last year with Manda Rigby that if the youth aren't encouraged, and don't see a pathway, they will leave. Needless to say I didn't even get the courtesy of a reply.
It appears to me to be clique, almost a private members club for the gratification and ego of the few and the Academy is there simply to generate an income and not development. You only need to look at the record of who has come through despite undoubted talent. I only write this because of our disappointment, my son only wants to play football, no interest in money, and has loved playing for Bath at Twerton in the u18s.

Disappointed

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie Hitler Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:37 am

Disappointed wrote:I have followed trends on the Youth subject for some time. My son is one who has left the 'Academy' to play in the Southern League. He was enticed to join the club with promises of first team access and regular games at Bishops Sutton (we are not naïve, and realise that you have to earn a place, but if good enough for Southern League at 18 surely good enough to be involved in training!) but he got one session and no involvement in pre-season. He along with some of his friends previously mentioned on this forum have no trust in the current regime and feel better served by going elsewhere. I raised this issue last year with Manda Rigby that if the youth aren't encouraged, and don't see a pathway, they will leave. Needless to say I didn't even get the courtesy of a reply.
It appears to me to be clique, almost a private members club for the gratification and ego of the few and the Academy is there simply to generate an income and not development. You only need to look at the record of who has come through despite undoubted talent. I only write this because of our disappointment, my son only wants to play football, no interest in money, and has loved playing for Bath at Twerton in the u18s.
I've heard the same regarding a number of u18 players. Very sad.
Eddie Hitler
Eddie Hitler

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:25 pm

This is not something that I have heard widely but I did follow what went on with Bradley Norris the season before last. I think that he started two games (Somerset Cup) which is possibly fair enough at his level and scored a couple of goals. He was an unused sub for 9 games and came on, usually for 15 minutes at the end for four games. I saw him a couple of times and he looked OK but, fairly obviously, a bit off the pace coming in at that stage of the game. As we know, Stearn finds it hard to be effective coming off the bench at the end so it is hardly likely that a kid will be any better. He went out to Paulton and is now at Larkhall. Now I am not saying that the lad should be in the first team and I have no idea whether there were other reasons due to his attitude or whatever why he was let go. All I know is that he was obviously deserved a place in the first team squad, sat through a lot of matches as an unused sub and didn't get a huge amount of playing time to show himself. Even then, he looked reasonably bright.

The thing is that Bath City have to be very careful with promising players in this area. Southampton have been rapacious for ages - just in this week's Chronicle, you see that they took Jake Sinclair and Tyrone Mings from under our noses - and obviously City and Rovers are going the same way with the latter getting Scott Sinclair. I wouldn't mind but Mings went from Yate to Chippenham to Ipswich and Ashley Barnes went from Paulton to Plymouth without us even picking up on them. What did Yate, Chippenham and Paulton see in these youngsters that we didn't?

We have got to make Bath City a desirable destination for the players that are now coming through U-16s, maybe even U-15s and U-14s. I don't mean tying them up to contracts now necessarily - it's something I don't agree with - but we should at least know about them and be in a position to give them trials and bring them in for training as soon as possible.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:20 pm

I have a lot of time for our management but this is one area that I'm becoming increasingly concerned about. Disappointed is not the first to express concerns at how his son has been treated and what worries me is that word gets around that we are not a club known for developing (and benefiting) from young, local talent. I hope the lad signed on loan this week is the last and not first of the season and that we actually start utilising the under 21 set up. Otherwise what is the point of it?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down