Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Away kits over the years

+4
comrade powell
pete mac
Marc Monitor
stillmanjunior
8 posters

Go down

Away kits over the years Empty Away kits over the years

Post by stillmanjunior Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:13 am

Will run a feature in the Havant programme about the changes of our away kit in recent years. There's a piece about home ones in tomorrow's edition, thanks to Powell for trawling through the Good Book to assist with this.

Does anyone have any idea when we were first landed with an official away kit and how many different colours we've had? I can only go back as far as the mid-late 80s when it was yellow.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Away kits over the years Empty Re: Away kits over the years

Post by Marc Monitor Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:27 pm

Do we know what this season's is yet?  Wink 
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Away kits over the years Empty Shirts

Post by pete mac Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:46 pm

I don't know the answer. Earliest I have is circa 92......red with a white collar.

I'll try and email you some photos of what I have.......includes Canham's from the relegation year and a striking yellow and blue from Pridham's time.....worn in the FA Cup at Brislington 2002 ish....

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:55 pm

I have a lot of pics from last 10-15 years of them so Pete so no need to worry there Smile It's before then where I'm struggling.

I believe this season's away kit is yellow shirts and blue shorts and socks. Hopefully with more readable numbers too...
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:59 pm

as it's for you, Mark, i will ask mrs comrade to dig out all my old progs from the 50s, 60s and 70s to get the answer. But when she moans, I will tell her to blame you!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by The Matrix Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:30 pm

There was light blue worn in the 0-0 draw away to Stoke in the early 1990s

The Matrix

Back to top Go down

Post by turnstyle13 Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:39 pm

1978 Southern League Cup Final away to the Turnip eaters. They are green and white we are black and white.
Even in non league in the '70's there was a level of thuggery on the terraces and with us 1 up after the first leg in a cup final with no segregation and limited police interest there was a high potential for some trouble, and so it proved as stood on the east end terrace behind the goal and even before the game had started there were some mild exchanges.
But wanting to support the team and wear colours but not make it obvious I played it clever; i'll wear my Sunderland scarf. Black, white bit mostly red - that's safe since we NEVER play in red.
Yes of course we turn up in red shirts. Never seen them before and not seen again for another 15 or so years.
Brother quickly grabs scarf and relegates it to under the coat.
Final score 0-0, but only time we win SL Cup and pitch invasion at end for the presentation. Happy days.

turnstyle13

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:40 pm

Can I just say I HATE the idea of away kits (as opposed to change kits).  WHY would I want to travel away to watch city and not see us in B&W?? I know its the new norm, but cant we buck the trend? I know I am away so cant get to home or away games at the mo, but imagine we get Man U in FA cup 3rd round away... I fly 5000 miles to watch us play in yellow!!!???

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:41 pm

Excellent story Phil, so is this the first example of us wearing an away kit?

What used to happen when we played someone like Dorchester for example?
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:54 pm

I remember that yeovil game, and even the policeman who was wearing a green scarf.....

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:17 pm

I seem to recall that briefly in the mid-seventies we had red shirts with a black diagonal sash across them - I remember us wearing them in a Southern League Cup game at Barry that we lost 1-0. Does anybody else remember that? I think they were given to the supporters club team which was formed around 1977.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:25 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:Excellent story Phil, so is this the first example of us wearing an away kit?

What used to happen when we played someone like Dorchester for example?

patience Junior! hundreds of my very old progs have been dug out of the cupboard under the stairs and are filling the lounge awaiting my research. you are now VERY unpopular with my wife....
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:27 pm

LB wrote:I seem to recall that briefly in the mid-seventies we had red shirts with a black diagonal sash across them - I remember us wearing them in a Southern League Cup game at Barry that we lost 1-0. Does anybody else remember that? I think they were given to the supporters club team which was formed around 1977.

can't recall them. remember watching us at witney around that time and we appeared in red and white halves (blackburn style) - never saw them again and wondered if they were the home team's spare kit as we'd turned up with the wrong ones...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by turnstyle13 Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:43 pm

Remember back in the 70's we didn't always wear black and white stripes.
Early 70's we had the WBA dark blue big stripe with white either side and then in 77/78 we were in plain white shirt with black shorts. Can't imagine that many other clubs would clash with the WBA but its a fair shout as to what happened when we met a plain white.
I recall talking to Tavvy about that Cup Final and wear the red shirt came from. I think he said something about the normal strip being still at the cleaners so we had to borrow something - the red one - it but it was a long time ago so wouldn't rely on that as reliable.

turnstyle13

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:16 am

I remember the WBA strip well - I was a kid and really getting into watching city. Apparently the club was strapped for cash and WBA donated the kit to us; the link being an ex WBA player - our physio? Manager? Director? I can't remember - cue help from anyone else around in that era. I love our B&W stripes but I loved that strip too.

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:54 am

I believe the link was our manager at the time, Dave Burnside, was a WBA fan.

Info stolen from Powell's research.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:28 am

Yes - you're right - that rings a bell. Also a great ball juggler. I remember him Once coming out at half time and demoing his skills.

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down