Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Basingstoke game

+13
pete mac
SteveS
stillmanjunior
Dodgycarpet
Marc Monitor
comrade powell
Ashley
BenE
Beau Nash
2weirdtown
LB
Terrie K
Luton Roman
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Basingstoke game Empty Basingstoke game

Post by Luton Roman Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:06 pm

Hemmings booked after 6 seconds and we go 1 down after 6 mins.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Basingstoke game Empty Re: Basingstoke game

Post by Luton Roman Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:09 pm

0-2

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Terrie K Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:16 pm

Sounds dire - hope it's not as bad as it seems.

Terrie K

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:17 pm

0-3

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:18 pm

0-4

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:23 pm

Could be worse, its Hemel 0 Boreham Wood 6 at the moment.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:39 pm

Ft 0-4. Discuss.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:05 pm

So when after Concord Andy Gallinagh said at least it couldn't get any worse...

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:11 pm

Leaving aside our defensive frailties, this looks like the familiar problem of us making no headway against physically strong well organised sides. I've a nasty suspicion we've built a side who are wrong for this league.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:18 pm

The midfield looked lightweight in the friendlies but I thought we were going to move the ball around quickly so negating the physical presence of the opposition. From the reports I've read and the short video at Concord we looked to be off the pace and far too static.  Sad 
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:19 pm

You can't leave aside our defensive frailties as that was the entire reason for the score line. The defence was a shambles.

Slocombe and Hemmings may not start another game. The former was cruelly exposed and the latter appears to offer nothing unless you want someone who is slow, feeble, can't jump and can't head the ball. He is not a plan A player and on this evidence isn't plan B either. He is not the big target man I thought he was.

Frankie Artus was terrific which was a real shame for him as all the huffing and puffing around him was of no help.

We actually created a fair few decent chances but put none of them away. At least we drew the second half.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:27 pm

my point was that we still didn't score ourselves. We hardly tested their keeper.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:28 pm

agreed but it is harder when you are trying to come from behind.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:29 pm

The defending was appaling. We looked quite bright going forward and the game started well enough but you can't defend like that.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:30 pm

yes, benny, i suppose that's the only positive to take from 2 dreadful performances. while i agree the defence was all at sea again in that 1st half horror show, the midfield didn't offer anything in the way of protection and b/stoke found it as easy as concord to open us up. yes, artus looks a very skillful player but he doesn't half give the ball away a lot.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:31 pm

Another point I want to make is that all the Year 125 efforts will be entirely in vain if the team continue to play like that.

People will just not be interested.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:32 pm

comrade powell wrote:yes, benny, i suppose that's the only positive to take from 2 dreadful performances. while i agree the defence was all at sea again in that 1st half horror show, the midfield didn't offer anything in the way of protection and b/stoke found it as easy as concord to open us up. yes, artus looks a very skillful player but he doesn't half give the ball away a lot.

Are you sure it was Artus and not Kington with those awful shirt numbers.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:41 pm

After 180 minutes, I can honestly say I haven't noticed Kington being on the pitch. I suppose it takes time for new players to settle in, but 3 of them are used to playing at this level. Still, the finger should not only be pointed at them, as several others have not started this season yet.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:57 pm

relegation 6 pointer on saturday! no points or goals for us or chelmsford...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:27 am

Couple of points - why did Slocombe start and Simpson not? I understand that Simpson didn't have a great game on Saturday but he has been one of the most reliable players we have had for a couple of seasons. You don't drop him after one crap game.

Why did Hemmings start up front? He hasn't shown anything in the pre-season to suggest that he should be starting.

Basically, we were just very very rubbish tonight. Players who should have been starting - Simmo, Bowman, Stearn - weren't and some that shouldn't have been - Slocombe, Hemmings - did. While we did very well in pre-season, we don't appear to have settled on a line-up or formation. No wonder the players looked like they didn't know each other.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:20 am

This is all very depressing especially when you are a long way away...

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:06 am

Marc, you strike me as someone who knows a lot about the game and yet you fall into the trap of putting any emphasis on performances in meaningless friendlies. The last 180 minutes of football are the only relevant pointer to players' worth, formations, tactics etc.

Although the management will be criticised for these 2 results, they have been let down by some appalling individual performances as well and at least they we're seem to act after Saturday's shocker. Simpson was clearly singled out, although Slocombe was struggling badly at Concord. People are always going to call for Stearn to start - he did at Concord and contributed little. There was confusion for leaving out Artus - someone had to make way for him last night. Likewise, we were criticised for being too lightweight up front, hence Hemmings starting last night. Presumably the management see qualities in him, but they have yet to surface...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:11 am

comrade powell wrote:relegation 6 pointer on saturday! no points or goals for us or chelmsford...

It'll be 5-4 or something silly

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:51 am

I agree friendlies are never a pointer to a season but they aren't meaningless. They are a chance to try things out, look at different players, see how players work together.

but it does not solve the problems inherent in a squad and once again it appears that physically we are just no match for other teams at this level - and hence for higher leagues. You would have expected the WSM lads to be up to this league's standard but the ones we have brought in are just as flimsy as the players we have.

I should also point out that Walsh appears to have let himself get out of condition during the summer.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:01 am

You can have lightweight players in a team as long as they are skilful and supported by some stronger bigger players. I guess pre-seasons are a chance to get that balance right, but as I said on another thread you need to play some teams who are big and strong as well skilful. I don't agree that that risks injuries, as I don't mean playing strong western league sides but strong sides at the same level who will also not want to risk injuries from wild challenges , but will want to see their physical players being strong.

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next