Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to the area

+5
kermit
2weirdtown
comrade powell
stillmanjunior
gtat
9 posters

Go down

New to the area Empty New to the area

Post by gtat Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:50 pm

Hello,

I'm in the process of relocating to the Bath area, and I'm very keen to get down to some games next season. I'll be honest - I'm a Gillingham (the Kent one!) fan first and foremost, but looking forward to supporting my new local club. Although, the way things are going, I wouldn't be too surprised if Bath and Gillingham are in the same league in a few years time..

Is there a particular place that fans meet before/ after home games, or are there other meet ups which I would be welcome to? I don't know many people in the area, so I'd be coming along by myself initially!

Cheers,
Dan

gtat

Back to top Go down

New to the area Empty Re: New to the area

Post by stillmanjunior Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:44 pm

Afternoon,

The bar adjoining the ground, Charlie's, is open a few hours before KO, during half-time and after matches. I'm sure someone else can give more of a rundown of what alcohol is available. There are another few pubs within walking distance which a few people venture to.

You'll be made to feel very welcome and if the football is like last season, you'll enjoy it immensely.

PS - if Steve Evans became our manager I'd move some distance from my club as well... Mad
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:44 pm

Hi Dan

Welcome to Bath City and to our esteemed forum! As Junior says, there are a couple of pubs within 15 minutes walk of Twerton Park which are popular with some of our fans but our clubhouse is also very welcoming. We've introduced player and manager interviews after the matches which have gone down well and there's a free draw for beer!

With Welling, Maidstone, Dartford and Tonbridge in our league there are trips to Kent so look out for details of our Supporters Club coaches.

This is the best move you could have made and you'll soon forget the Gills!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:22 pm

Yes, the club bar is good and usually has a couple of real ales. The Old Crown right next to the ground is a decent pub which both sets of supporters use on matchdays.
You won't go far wrong using the Royal Oak on Lower Bristol Rd about a half mile towards the city centre. Quite a few City supporters use it before and after matches. A great real ale/live music pub which used to be my local before I moved away from Bath.
You can always try the Golden Fleece twixt ground and Royal Oak. Was always a decent boozer frequented more by locals - though I haven't been in there for a while.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by gtat Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:36 pm

Thanks all, that's really useful information. Looking forward to coming down in August.

stillmanjunior wrote:Afternoon,

PS - if Steve Evans became our manager I'd move some distance from my club as well... Mad

Oh, don't get me started on him! He's been on a charm offensive since his appointment, but he's never been popular with Gills fans so I can't see it ending well.

comrade powell wrote:Hi Dan

Welcome to Bath City and to our esteemed forum! As Junior says, there are a couple of pubs within 15 minutes walk of Twerton Park which are popular with some of our fans but our clubhouse is also very welcoming. We've introduced player and manager interviews after the matches which have gone down well and there's a free draw for beer!

With Welling, Maidstone, Dartford and Tonbridge in our league there are trips to Kent so look out for details of our Supporters Club coaches.

This is the best move you could have made and you'll soon forget the Gills!

Thank you! Good point about the Kent away trips. Sounds like a good excuse to make it back to the Garden of England Laughing

2weirdtown wrote:Yes, the club bar is good and usually has a couple of real ales.  The Old Crown right next to the ground is a decent pub which both sets of supporters use on matchdays.
You won't go far wrong using the Royal Oak on Lower Bristol Rd about a half mile towards the city centre.  Quite a few City supporters use it before and after matches.  A great real ale/live music pub which used to be my local before I moved away from Bath.  
You can always try the Golden Fleece twixt ground and Royal Oak.  Was always a decent boozer frequented more by locals - though I haven't been in there for a while.

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll probably stick to the Club Bar most likely, but I'll see how it goes. Hopefully I'll be able to meet a few friendly folk down there!

gtat

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:20 pm

We're all friendly Dan......well apart from......no, best not to say!
The club bar is much improved in recent times, including some nice real ales sourced usually from Devon and Cornwall.
If real ale is your scene, then I agree with others, the Royal Oak is the place to visit, but please put some of your cash over the club bar.....boy do we need it!
Welcome to the best team and club in Somerset.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:56 pm

I drink in the Old Crown. A cracking boozer a stones throw from Twerton Park. Plenty of boozers around Twerton Park. Randalls is massive too at the ground.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by fourteendays Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:41 pm

gtat wrote:Hello,

I'm in the process of relocating to the Bath area, and I'm very keen to get down to some games next season. I'll be honest - I'm a Gillingham (the Kent one!) fan first and foremost, but looking forward to supporting my new local club. Although, the way things are going, I wouldn't be too surprised if Bath and Gillingham are in the same league in a few years time..

Is there a particular place that fans meet before/ after home games, or are there other meet ups which I would be welcome to? I don't know many people in the area, so I'd be coming along by myself initially!

Cheers,
Dan

Hey Dan,

I'm in the same boat. Moved down to Bath a couple of months ago from London. Went to University here way back when but only know a handful of people in the local area.

For my sins, I'm a Leeds fan (I've actually joined the local supporters club down here) but will be at Twerton Park a fair bit no doubt. More than welcome to join me.

Matthew

fourteendays

Back to top Go down

Post by gtat Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:54 pm

kermit wrote:We're all friendly Dan......well apart from......no, best not to say!
The club bar is much improved in recent times, including some nice real ales sourced usually from Devon and Cornwall.
If real ale is your scene, then I agree with others, the Royal Oak is the place to visit, but please put some of your cash over the club bar.....boy do we need it!
Welcome to the best team and club in Somerset.

Sounds great! Happy to support the club bar too, it's important I start getting familiar with ales from the SW of England now..

Paul1978 wrote:I drink in the Old Crown. A cracking boozer a stones throw from Twerton Park. Plenty of boozers around Twerton Park. Randalls is massive too at the ground.

Thanks for the tip. I'll add it to the list. I'll have to come to quite a few games just to check out all of these pubs pre-match!

fourteendays wrote:
Hey Dan,

I'm in the same boat. Moved down to Bath a couple of months ago from London. Went to University here way back when but only know a handful of people in the local area.

For my sins, I'm a Leeds fan (I've actually joined the local supporters club down here) but will be at Twerton Park a fair bit no doubt. More than welcome to join me.

Matthew

Hey Matthew - nice one! Sounds good, have sent you a PM.

Cheers,
Dan

gtat

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:11 pm

[quote="fourteendays"]
gtat wrote:For my sins, I'm a Leeds fan (I've actually joined the local supporters club down here)

For some reason, when I first moved down here, there seemed to be loads of Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday and West Ham supporters, often with authentic accents. I have met more of the former two since as well. I always notice Leeds supporters as I supported them as a lad (born there)

Anyway, welcome to you both. Join the Supporters Society when you can.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:59 pm

...and the Supporters Club! Very Happy
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:12 pm

Cue concise explanation of the difference between the Supporters Society and Supporters Club for newbies.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:33 pm

comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down