Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Permutations for the final day...

+5
yuffie
LB
BenE
Dave
comrade powell
9 posters

Go down

Permutations for the final day... Empty Permutations for the final day...

Post by comrade powell Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:29 pm

Despite each losing 2 of their last 3 games, the 'mighty' Torquay and Woking and Welling have secured the top 3 places. However nothing is certain for the remaining 4 play-off places.

We can finish 4th if in our match at Billericay we better Chelmsford's result at Chippenham provided Concord (at Eastbourne) don't better both our results.

If we don't better Chelmsford's result but match or better Concord's we'll finish 5th. Lose or draw at Billericay and we'll drop to 6th if Concord win.

Although a Billericay win would see us on the same number of points the victory would need to be by at least 6 goals, so finishing 7th is unlikely.  

As for play off opponents....

4th sees a visit on Wednesday week from one of Concord, Billericay, St Albans, Dartford, Wealdstone or Slough.

5th and it will be home to one of Chelmsford, Concord, Billericay, St Albans, Dartford

6th or 7th sees a dreaded midweek trip to Chelmsford, Concord or Billericay.

As the winners of 4 v 7 will travel to Welling on the following Sunday, finishing 5th and a possible trip to Woking looks preferable - not just distance wise but based on this season's matches against these two.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Permutations for the final day... Empty Re: Permutations for the final day...

Post by Dave Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:35 pm

Speculation rife about Concord's ground grading and whether they're elegible to take part. If the positions remain the same we could end up with a bye to the semis. Ironically, we could lose to Billericay on Saturday and finish 6th but still get a bye if Concord finish 5th, a bye that would have gone to Billericay if Concord hadn't been deducted three points.
March 31st was apparently the deadline for any clubs involved to have 500 seats installed, Concord have about 300 and from the video of their match last week they seemingly haven't installed any more...

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:22 am

Intriguing! Thanks Palmer.
So if Concord finished 4th and were then denied a place in the play-offs the team in 7th would get a bye? That seems very unfair on 5th and especially 6th....
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:40 pm

comrade powell wrote: Although a Billericay win would see us on the same number of points the victory would need to be by at least 6 goals, so finishing 7th is unlikely.  

I don't think I would have been brave enough to type that......
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:05 pm

If Concord are ruled out, would the team finishing 8th take their place? I think something similar was suggested last season when it looked like a couple of the play-off contenders might have similar issues to Concord.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:38 pm

I suspect the side finishing 4th would get the bye. So if the league stayed the same Chelmsford would get the bye and we'd play Billericay.

However, given the pictures of Concord celebrating yesterday like they already won promotion rather than having almost guaranteed a play-off place it seems they aren't worried about ground grading issues.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:53 pm

BenE wrote:
comrade powell wrote: Although a Billericay win would see us on the same number of points the victory would need to be by at least 6 goals, so finishing 7th is unlikely.  

I don't think I would have been brave enough to type that......
u

If Eastbourne can beat Dartford 6-0, Torquay lose at home to Weston and Hungerford and twice to Chipp amongst other crazy results this season then anything is possible. We don't have a great record in Essex and that 6 goal cup defeat still makes me shudder.....
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:13 pm

Finishing 4th or 5th ensures you have a home game. I believe the gate income is shared similar to FA cup etc but the home game does enable the hosting side to generate its own ancillary income.
If team 4 (or 5) were to receive a bye it would miss out on that opportunity although it might be argued that the chance of promotion would be better with only 2 wins needed and this factor could be regarded as more than sufficient compensation.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:31 am

Loved this comment on the Wealdstone forum...

Concord have enough seats, mainly in the executive boxes overlooking the pitch. Otherwise known as the caravan park.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:11 pm

It would seem that in the Poole/Hungerford season, initially the next eligible club would be in the playoffs down to a certain level - https://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.com/latest-news/conference-north-step-two/19043/darlington-poole-and-hungerford-to-miss-out-on-play-offs-after-appeals-were-rejected/

If Concord did miss out, and the current table were taken as final I would therefore assume we'd be at home to Billericay and St Albans would go to Chelmsford.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:56 pm

I'm sure I read/heard somewhere that this wouldn't imply in the new format.

Concord must have known that their ground would be some sort of issue. They'd probably argue that they don't need anymore seats - they get crowds of 250. But them's the rules. I can't see them being denied entry, surely it would have been mentioned sooner? From memory, Poole and Hungerford (the latter are actually making an effort to improve their facilities in fairness) were given more notice. Otherwise, can't Concord look to share? Canvey Island played in the Conference for a few seasons so presumably that place is up to scratch.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:45 am

Very strong winds predicted in Billericay tomorrow....may add to the edginess of the game!
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down