TORQUAY AT HOME

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

TORQUAY AT HOME - Page 3 Empty Re: TORQUAY AT HOME

Post by turnstyle13 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:50 pm

A few 2,000+ games not covered in Marks list of ‘all competitions’; even if two weren’t a formal competition
26/7/79 2,146 v Newcastle Utd (pre season friendly)
21/7/80 2,033 v Manchester City (PSF)
18/1/94 6,213 v Stoke City FACup 3rnd Replay
12/11/94 6,751 v Bristol Rovers FAC 1st rnd
26/11/78 7,866 v Plymouth Argyle FAC 1st rnd

turnstyle13

Posts : 138
Join date : 2014-02-27

Back to top Go down

TORQUAY AT HOME - Page 3 Empty Re: TORQUAY AT HOME

Post by stillmanjunior on Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:58 pm

Yea I only did last twenty years. Don’t have many attendances pre-1984.

Or rather Simon didn’t, I stole the info from him and gradually added others.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Posts : 1897
Join date : 2014-02-21
Age : 34
Location : Defending it confidently

Back to top Go down

TORQUAY AT HOME - Page 3 Empty Re: TORQUAY AT HOME

Post by Luton Roman on Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:14 pm

Crikey didnt realise those friendly games? Where was I???

Luton Roman

Posts : 1668
Join date : 2014-02-24

Back to top Go down

TORQUAY AT HOME - Page 3 Empty Re: TORQUAY AT HOME

Post by Freeview Joe on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:03 am

comrade powell wrote:
Freeview Joe wrote:Can anyone advise on actually why (and when) the capacity changed to this figure? Is it solely off the back of a recommendation from the local council or due to insurance issues etc.? It would be quite interesting to know.


Joe, I don't think the capacity of the ground has been as high as 8000 for many years. I seem to remember a few seasons ago that there was an announcement from the club prior to a cup match (the Dagenham replay?) on what the capacity limit would be that day and it was nowhere near that total.

In fact due to the efforts of our safety officer, Shane Morgan, and the volunteers who help each week on the ground's maintenance, the capacity has actually been slightly increased for this season.  

It is our council who sets the capacity. It is not a recommendation, it is legally binding and has nothing to do with insurance issues.  


Cheers Comrade, many thanks for your reply and for the info.
Freeview Joe
Freeview Joe

Posts : 90
Join date : 2017-07-15
Location : The View from the Front Bedroom Window

Back to top Go down

TORQUAY AT HOME - Page 3 Empty Re: TORQUAY AT HOME

Post by OliverH on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:43 am

Can't wait for Saturday. Hopefully no-one will be turned away, but if so it's hardly a "PR disaster" - a sold-out crowd is good PR, in the main. Well done to the volunteers for putting in all of the extra work.
OliverH
OliverH

Posts : 437
Join date : 2015-01-04
Age : 39
Location : Bath

Back to top Go down

TORQUAY AT HOME - Page 3 Empty City Scarves

Post by pete mac on Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:20 am

Hopefully fans will bring along their scarves for Saturday's game - and there is an opportunity to buy a new one with a 10% discount I understand?

I guess we'll do that Leeds twirly thing?


pete mac

Posts : 772
Join date : 2014-02-27

Back to top Go down

TORQUAY AT HOME - Page 3 Empty Re: TORQUAY AT HOME

Post by LB on Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:01 pm

turnstyle13 wrote:A few 2,000+ games not covered in Marks list of ‘all competitions’; even if two weren’t a formal competition
26/7/79 2,146 v Newcastle Utd (pre season friendly)
21/7/80 2,033 v Manchester City (PSF)
18/1/94 6,213 v Stoke City FACup 3rnd Replay
12/11/94 6,751 v Bristol Rovers FAC 1st rnd
26/11/78 7,866 v Plymouth Argyle FAC 1st rnd

There were also two 7000+ F A cup attendances back in the late 60s, a 4th Qualifying Round replay (on a Monday evening) in 67/68 against Weymouth, and against Yeovil the following season in same round. There were also two of 3000+ against Trowbridge in the F A cup in the early 70s.

LB

Posts : 725
Join date : 2014-02-23

Back to top Go down

TORQUAY AT HOME - Page 3 Empty Re: TORQUAY AT HOME

Post by stillmanjunior on Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:04 pm

I was at the Rovers cup game. Pretty certain dad and I sat in the Family Stand and left before the end. One of my earliest memories being at a game - there was a Mexican wave on the packed Pop side.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Posts : 1897
Join date : 2014-02-21
Age : 34
Location : Defending it confidently

Back to top Go down

TORQUAY AT HOME - Page 3 Empty Re: TORQUAY AT HOME

Post by pete mac on Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:05 pm

I guess the wartime crowds were big and wasn't there an FA Cup 10,000 versus Bolton on Match of the Day in 1964? - before my time of course. (and the 18,020 versus Brighton in 1960)

pete mac

Posts : 772
Join date : 2014-02-27

Back to top Go down

TORQUAY AT HOME - Page 3 Empty Re: TORQUAY AT HOME

Post by comrade powell on Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:38 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:I was at the Rovers cup game. Pretty certain dad and I sat in the Family Stand and left before the end. One of my earliest memories being at a game - there was a Mexican wave on the packed Pop side.


It was also one of Ross's very first matches (apart from those when he was in a push chair and I took him to away matches to earn brownie points!)

We were on the pop side, with him standing on a plastic chair to get a view. We were surrounded by Rovers fans who were all very friendly except when Grantley got to work...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Posts : 4985
Join date : 2014-01-27

Back to top Go down

TORQUAY AT HOME - Page 3 Empty Re: TORQUAY AT HOME

Post by yuffie on Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:57 pm

I was at the Man City pre-season match in 1980, having gone to my first ever City match in February earlier that year. I got my programme signed by Kevin Reeves.

I don't think it played a part in them becoming the other half of my future 2CW status.

yuffie

Posts : 981
Join date : 2014-02-20

Back to top Go down

TORQUAY AT HOME - Page 3 Empty Re: TORQUAY AT HOME

Post by Luton Roman on Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:32 pm

The Rovers game was tame enough apart from Grantlys sending off as we got pasted.
The Weymouth game 1-1 I recall with a George Gibbs rocket. Suited us as they needed to win it.

Luton Roman

Posts : 1668
Join date : 2014-02-24

Back to top Go down

TORQUAY AT HOME - Page 3 Empty Re: TORQUAY AT HOME

Post by Timbo_b-o-a on Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:11 pm

Freeview Joe wrote:
comrade powell wrote:
Freeview Joe wrote:Can anyone advise on actually why (and when) the capacity changed to this figure? Is it solely off the back of a recommendation from the local council or due to insurance issues etc.? It would be quite interesting to know.


Joe, I don't think the capacity of the ground has been as high as 8000 for many years. I seem to remember a few seasons ago that there was an announcement from the club prior to a cup match (the Dagenham replay?) on what the capacity limit would be that day and it was nowhere near that total.

In fact due to the efforts of our safety officer, Shane Morgan, and the volunteers who help each week on the ground's maintenance, the capacity has actually been slightly increased for this season.  

It is our council who sets the capacity. It is not a recommendation, it is legally binding and has nothing to do with insurance issues.  


Cheers Comrade, many thanks for your reply and for the info.

That's interesting Powell.

Do you know what has made it so low since the 90s? Ie is it as mentioned in a previous comment that Bath End and Popular are much more restricted because of lack of barriers? Would be interesting to know how they calculate these things.
Timbo_b-o-a
Timbo_b-o-a

Posts : 84
Join date : 2014-07-14

Back to top Go down

TORQUAY AT HOME - Page 3 Empty Re: TORQUAY AT HOME

Post by comrade powell on Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:39 pm

Mr Tim

I'm assuming that the crowds that we have attracted in the past 20 years means that we have not had to ensure that the added safety restrictions for large numbers are in place. Rovers as tenants regularly played in front of large crowds so presumably they would have ensured that the maximum capacity was maintained.

While the barriers are certainly a major factor I'm guessing that there are many others - if we were promoted and were likely to attract larger crowds on a regular basis then the necessary work would be done to get the capacity up. But of course this will cost money, which is saved at the moment while we regularly play in front of crowds of up to 1k.

Please note I'm not suggesting for a moment that the ground is not safe!

I will be in the bar after tomorrow's match to further this discussion if you so wish!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Posts : 4985
Join date : 2014-01-27

Back to top Go down

TORQUAY AT HOME - Page 3 Empty Re: TORQUAY AT HOME

Post by Timbo_b-o-a on Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:56 pm

Thanks Powell!
Timbo_b-o-a
Timbo_b-o-a

Posts : 84
Join date : 2014-07-14

Back to top Go down

TORQUAY AT HOME - Page 3 Empty Re: TORQUAY AT HOME

Post by Twerton Parker on Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:24 pm

2weirdtown wrote:I think there were 7000+ at TP when we played Plymouth in the cup 1977.  Or maybe it was a previous match against them.

I was there but I don't remember the crowd being anything like that, alas. From memory, I think we lost 2-1 but what I do remember is one Mick Horswill playing for them. He'd played for the then 2nd Division Sunderland when they won the Cup in '73 and got a transfer to Manchester City of the back of it soon after. Things didn't work out for him there and he moved on to Plymouth. I think he was used as a sub against us.

Twerton Parker

Posts : 51
Join date : 2014-02-25

Back to top Go down

TORQUAY AT HOME - Page 3 Empty Re: TORQUAY AT HOME

Post by LB on Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:40 pm

Twerton Parker wrote:
2weirdtown wrote:I think there were 7000+ at TP when we played Plymouth in the cup 1977.  Or maybe it was a previous match against them.

I was there but I don't remember the crowd being anything like that, alas.  From memory, I think we lost 2-1 but what I do remember is one Mick Horswill playing for them.  He'd played for the then 2nd Division Sunderland when they won the Cup in '73 and got a transfer to Manchester City of the back of it soon after.  Things didn't work out for him there and he moved on to Plymouth. I think he was used as a sub against us.

There were over 7000 that day - the game ended 0-0, Gary Megson having a goal disallowed for Plymouth. City lost the replay 2-0.

LB

Posts : 725
Join date : 2014-02-23

Back to top Go down

TORQUAY AT HOME - Page 3 Empty Re: TORQUAY AT HOME

Post by comrade powell on Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:14 pm

I always thought the first game saw one of our poorest performances of that season. Something something similar to what we showed against Weymouth, Cheltenham and, by all accounts, Kettering and Plymouth would have been sent packing. I didn't do down for the replaŷ but I gather our physical approach upset the home fans.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Posts : 4985
Join date : 2014-01-27

Back to top Go down

TORQUAY AT HOME - Page 3 Empty Re: TORQUAY AT HOME

Post by SASCHA on Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:21 pm

CHANTING IN THE CITY CENTRE BEFORE MIDDAY
Sitting here in my office (bedroom) high up on Beechen Cliff I can confirm that the away fans have arrived in their numbers. I can hear the chanting , so i guess the pubs are busy already.
I just hope the stewarding at today's game is adequate and not a repeat of the previous shambles some 11 years ago.

SASCHA

Posts : 126
Join date : 2014-02-28

Back to top Go down

TORQUAY AT HOME - Page 3 Empty Re: TORQUAY AT HOME

Post by Dusty Lynfield on Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:04 pm

Just read Torquay fans forum, someone has posted that they are in Bath some of their younger fans have been setting off flares, upsetting and scaring kids and older people in City Centre....hope Stewards are geared up to checking bags, etc....staring to get a little worried re how the atmosphere will develop today....fingers crossed for calm all round.
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Posts : 192
Join date : 2014-09-16

Back to top Go down

TORQUAY AT HOME - Page 3 Empty Re: TORQUAY AT HOME

Post by SASCHA on Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:10 pm

I have indeed heard some loud bangs coming from the city below.
A good half dozen in total , one just a few minutes ago

SASCHA

Posts : 126
Join date : 2014-02-28

Back to top Go down

TORQUAY AT HOME - Page 3 Empty Re: TORQUAY AT HOME

Post by daven on Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:40 pm

A Torquay fan said that someone in the City didn't know that Bath had a football team!

daven

Posts : 28
Join date : 2016-02-23

Back to top Go down

TORQUAY AT HOME - Page 3 Empty Re: TORQUAY AT HOME

Post by Dusty Lynfield on Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:33 pm

...well they do now!

Best day EVER!!!!
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Posts : 192
Join date : 2014-09-16

Back to top Go down

TORQUAY AT HOME - Page 3 Empty Re: TORQUAY AT HOME

Post by Ashley on Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:56 pm

What a win. That is all........
Ashley
Ashley

Posts : 1016
Join date : 2014-02-20
Age : 30

Back to top Go down

TORQUAY AT HOME - Page 3 Empty Re: TORQUAY AT HOME

Post by Luton Roman on Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:10 pm

Well said Dusty. One of the best days at Twerton ever and I've been going 50 years. Hinds rocket, allowed them to dominate the mid part, missed pen was key ( has it landed yet??), Brunt sub another turning point, allowed us to hold it up more, Mr.Too Cool for School Strakes pen, and the Brunt...flick? Deflection? And Twerton erupted again. We live for these days let's enjoy.

Luton Roman

Posts : 1668
Join date : 2014-02-24

Back to top Go down

TORQUAY AT HOME - Page 3 Empty Re: TORQUAY AT HOME

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum