Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barnet 3 City 2 (Efete, Mann) att 413 (80 away)

+3
Midsomer-steve
comrade powell
Luton Roman
7 posters

Go down

Barnet 3 City 2 (Efete, Mann) att 413 (80 away) Empty Barnet 3 City 2 (Efete, Mann) att 413 (80 away)

Post by Luton Roman Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:38 pm

Horror show in first 20 mins as they scored 3. Efete strike before half time gave us hope and Mann in 2nd half but in truth there was a gulf in class for most of the game the way we performed. Decision making, touch, anticipation all lacking for a lot of the game from many players. Credit JG for double sub after 33 mins and Moore looked lively enough for a run in the team. 2nd half effort at least left fans more upbeat.

Last edited by Luton Roman on Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Barnet 3 City 2 (Efete, Mann) att 413 (80 away) Empty Re: Barnet 3 City 2 (Efete, Mann) att 413 (80 away)

Post by comrade powell Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:38 pm

Moore won't get a run as he now returns to Rovers at the end of his month's loan.
A disappointing game for City. We had a go in the second half but I got the impression that Barnet could have moved up another couple of gears if needed. Let's hope we can get those injured players back quickly - we seem very short of options at present.
Great vocal support from the travelling fans who provided the only atmosphere in a deserted ground. Was segregation really necessary?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Barnet 3 City 2 (Efete, Mann) att 413 (80 away) Empty Re: Barnet 3 City 2 (Efete, Mann) att 413 (80 away)

Post by Midsomer-steve Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:20 am

No - and they could have saved oodles of money without the unnecessary police presence.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:53 am

The Roman Legions could be heard on BCIR, well done to all who attended.

Segregation may have been necessary due to the Barnet hordes that didn't attend?  

Barnet appeared, by charging just £5 admission for concessions, to be attempting to attract some football fans but it would appear that as only 413 were there in a 6000+ capacity stadium, the £10 general cost was too high.

Similarly, City can't attract more than 545/546, without the freebies 200-300, for games against play off rivals due to the high costs of admission. Hopefully the local derby against Chip will attract 1000+?
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:30 am

A foul weather day with unattractive lower level opposition with the Sheffield United cup game up coming was never going to attract a decent crowd whatever the price. And City's midweek crowds are among the best in the league.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:07 am

I wouldn't get into a discussion where someone bandies about figures with absolutely nothing to back it up. Been listening to too many politicians.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:14 am

While promotion would be very welcome, the downside would be the overbearing security present at every match. It became a real turn off for me during those two seasons in the Conference Premier and we've had reminders of it at Torquay and Barnet this year. It's non league football but not as I know it.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:43 pm

Beau Nash wrote:Barnet appeared, by charging just £5 admission for concessions, to be attempting to attract some football fans but it would appear that as only 413 were there in a 6000+ capacity stadium, the £10 general cost was too high.

Someone has responded to your comment on the Barnet forum...

http://www.onlybarnet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13941

I agree with his comment on the competition and feel that the FA need to address its organisation and that of its premier competition. Many of my memories of our Trophy matches are games like yesterday's - played in the lead up to Xmas in cold, damp conditions and attended by a few die hards.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:53 pm

So why do clubs (managers) under value it? Is it because the rewards are de-valued? 

I wouldn't have thought that was the case in non league where the league rewards are minimal.

It can only be because there are too many games.

The leagues should probably be pared back to say 19 teams. 

Maybe the FA could start by asking managers why there is a lack of enthusiasm for their competitions.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:38 pm

I wonder if it's worth making the semi-finals more like finals day, which has proved to be a big hit. Change it to a one-legged tie and play them both at Villa Park or somewhere central on the same day. You're certain to get more along and it'll give a bit more incentive. I found the semi-finals with North Ferriby difficult to enjoy, they were so tense and, as having a matchday role, extremely stressful. I guess the reason it has been taken less seriously is for clubs in NLP, those near the top might end up at Wembley anyway in the play-offs. A place in the Football League means more than a trophy run, where the funds aren't as lucrative in the FA Cup.

In Barnet's case, it was their fourth home draw this season in cup competitions. On top of a season ticket that's an extra £40 or so. I don't agree with the argument about it was too expensive Saturday, I thought the price was reasonable enough, but collectively it adds up. There are enough clubs on their doorstep and, in all honesty, for them a home tie against Bath City on a miserable Saturday in December isn't much of a pull. Had they been away I expect they would have taken a figure close to their home support yesterday.

As for the game itself, I was relieved that Jerry repeated most of what I'd said on commentary as I was pretty critical for the opening half hour. I get that teams in a higher division will have more quality than us so, eventually, we would probably be found out, but I haven't seen us start that slowly for...a week. We could have been 3-0 down that quickly against Concord, but the wind played a larger factor in that. Yesterday just amazed me how sluggish we were out of the blocks, I thought we'd have a real go, even after conceding so early. Barnet were good but, like Bob said on commentary, it was as if we were playing Manchester City, where you'd simply be expected to be outclassed. I certainly haven't seen us be that error-prone under Jerry, it was baffling. Last hour we were fine, didn't deserve to force a replay but showed more of what we were about and notably stopped their supply from the wings.

We missed Morton and Rigg, and needed an extra attacking option on the bench to have a go when there were ten minutes or so left, like what Barnet had. I have no idea what's happened to Tom Smith, the lad looks absolutely shot on confidence. He needs reminding of what a player he can be, he showed it last season. Problem is he's moved from one FL club to another, not broken through in other, worked under stacks of managers and now he's been subbed in the first half (unfortunately, I felt we had no choice). He needs to look at someone like Miles Welch-Hayes for inspiration. Frozen out by us, came back and starred, now in FL again, albeit not as a regular. Or even Jack Batten - he was subbed in the first half at Hemel two years ago and, strangely, it seemed to have a positive effect instead of negative.

The other is Ryan Brunt, who looks like he needs a rest. He's been in the squad almost every game on the back of hardly playing for two seasons. But if he's not involved, we have little options. I'll be amazed if Mills isn't shipped out as soon as possible (don't think he's scored for Banbury, he was on the bench Saturday) so another forward is a must.

There are positives. Mann's back on the scoring trail, Efete has improved last two games and chipped in with a neat goal and we have a solid goalkeeper. But I'm still at a loss as to where that opening half hour came from. I'm sure it won't be repeated, and hope it's not in those derby games...
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:28 pm

That is a very honest assessment Mark and echoes what people have been saying on the terraces.

I couldn't believe we were able to nab Mills but he has failed to step up. Indeed he is another going backwards. It is certainly a worry especially Brunt. I don't think he needs a rest he has hardly played for two months.

My impression is that things started to go wrong when Efete and Smith arrived. There appeared to be a spirit developing but now it is gone. 

Having said this I think you cannot overstate how much we miss Morton. The lad pulls the strings it is as simple as that.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:35 pm

Brunt is coming on in fits and starts largely. I've got a sore hamstring at the moment, I ran the line for a half at a game today and aggravated it. If he's carrying some sort of knock we'd probably leave him out completely, but there's no choice at the moment. I still think he has an important role to play this season.

I don't think the spirit has gone at all and certainly don't think those two have had any significant impact on negative results. Smith didn't cost us the game yesterday.

I honestly think Rigg is the key miss, only more than Morton because he's more of a goal threat. Barnet gave us time on the ball at times, I think both could have exploited that. With three* games in twelve days it might be too much to throw them in straight away, have to see.

* we all know December 29th will be a blank one.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:54 pm

Agree about Rigg - I think he's one of the key players in the squad.

As for the Trophy - make it a competition for those who want to play in it. I thought the attitude of Horsham's players and fans was brilliant in the last round. And I don't think there's any of this 'concentrating on the league' nonsense at our level. So if the 'big' clubs of the National League with their huge squads can think of nothing but a return to the glory that is EFL 2 let them opt out. But to be fair to Barnet, it sounds from their forum that manager John Still took it seriously with his team selection - certainly more than most of their fans did.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:17 pm

Needham Market have withdrawn rather than trek to Weymouth again following Saturdays postponement, given the time off their players would need from work. They took a half day to travel down on the Friday. Bit of a spat with Weymouth on communications.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:54 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:If he's carrying some sort of knock we'd probably leave him out completely, but there's no choice at the moment.
If he were carrying a knock why did he play a full game against Welton Rovers?
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:11 pm

Could’ve got it since then? It was about a month ago. Plus that was a massive game for the club, worth the risk.

It’s speculating, he was first left out (barring early season) a week after the Weston game from memory. I didn’t go so no idea if there was anything in particular which provoked that decision. Think he’s started four or five since. You almost need a clone of Adam Mann as I think he’d be a handful up top but also helps the midfield.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:15 pm

Barnet get another home draw - Dorchester. Can't see that attracting many (any) more than Saturday.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:54 pm

It was always going to be a risk having such a small squad, and with the current level of injuries we are perhaps paying the price for the 'quality not quantity' approach. The upside of course is generally the quality is pretty good. It will be interesting to see what happens when the loans of Efete, Smith and Morton are up early in the new year. As others have said, Tom Smith is a shadow of the player we saw last season and I would be surprised if we extended his loan further, although it may depend who else is available.

The John Mills situation is disappointing because it isn't even as if he has failed to make the step up, he never really got in a position where he could get a run in the team. I know it isn't easy coming on as sub, but when he did he never really looked like the prolific goalscorer we thought we had signed.

Agree about Sean Rigg, and it is a shame that he wasn't fit for the Barnet game, although even with him I don't think we would have salvaged anything after the disastrous start.  

The circumstances of Rigg's injury were even more frustrating - did the league really need to re-arrange four league games all involving sides still in the Trophy for the midweek before the first round? Even more frustrating for City as Barnet didn't have a midweek game. Had we got through we would have been in the same situation for the second round as well, with the game at Slough re-arranged for the Tuesday before.

I think the Barnet game needs to be put in the same box as the Weston F A Cup tie, and the lid firmly shut. The next four games are tricky - Chelmsford are never easy opponents, Chippenham have hit a sticky patch a bit like us but have quite a few players who probably feel they have a point to prove, and Weston have to win at home in the league sometime - and could have a big bearing on how we go into the second half of the season.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down