Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The [un]Stripes.

+3
turnstyle13
stillmanjunior
Marc Monitor
7 posters

Go down

The [un]Stripes.  Empty The [un]Stripes.

Post by Marc Monitor Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:41 pm

Having seen Juve's new kit for next season, it makes me wonder what the furthest away from stripes we have gone in the past? Have we had a half and half kit?

The [un]Stripes.  Maglia-0136_ori_crop_MASTER__0x0

Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

The [un]Stripes.  Empty Re: The [un]Stripes.

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:49 pm

We used to wear white shirts and black shorts, possibly for a bit until the early 80s? Sort of thing Powell and Les would know.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:03 pm

Ah, yes, I have seen a picture of that, I think.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by turnstyle13 Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:46 pm

Early 70’s. White with single wide blue stripe as worn by WBA.

turnstyle13

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeview Joe Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:07 am

Here's a pic from the 1978 Anglo-Italian Cup Programme featuring City in more of a Derby County style shirt than the normal stripes

http://www.45spaces.com/i/13c33b78e1029a1c
Freeview Joe
Freeview Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:34 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:We used to wear white shirts and black shorts, possibly for a bit until the early 80s? Sort of thing Powell and Les would know.

Yes, when I started to watch City - 1967 - they played in white shirts and black shorts, and I think the socks were white with one black ring, which as I recall was the same as Fulham at the time.

There was a campaign to switch back to black and white stripes and I am pretty sure that happened for the 70/71 season although the black stripes were fairly narrow. As someone else has said, we switched to blue and white stripes for 72/73.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:14 pm

And to answer the half and half kit, the answer is yes, but I think for only one match! It was at Witney Town in 78/79 when we wore a red and white combo, Woking style. As I never saw it again, my guess is that our kit clashed with the home club's and we borrowed their second strip.

Juve have really sold their soul with that monstrosity. Inter have messed about with different designs in recent years, the worst being when they had yellow socks. It's no coincidence that they're enjoying their best season for years having returned to the iconic blue and black stripes (front + back), black shorts, black socks.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Corstonian Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:31 pm

We were wearing Newcastle-type stripes with black shorts and socks in the 71-72 season which ended in relegation. The following season the shirt had a broad central stripe and we had changed to wearing white shorts and socks.

Corstonian

Back to top Go down

Post by turnstyle13 Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:22 pm

Correction on the red and white half and half kit. It was worn in the away leg of the Southern League Cup Final on 14 April 1979 v Yeoville Town.
If you look in that excellent publication ‘Champions the story of the 77/78 Season’ the player profile picture of Colin Tavener is of him holding the cup and wearing that kit.

turnstyle13

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeview Joe Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:11 pm

turnstyle13 wrote:Correction on the red and white half and half kit. It was worn in the away leg of the Southern League Cup Final on 14 April 1979 v Yeoville Town.
If you look in that excellent publication ‘Champions the story of the 77/78 Season’ the player profile picture of Colin Tavener is of him holding the cup and wearing that kit.

You're spot on turnstyle13 ... In the Bath City Bid youtube video, you can see film of Colin and the team wearing the half red half white Feyenoord / Woking type kit. (At around the 0:40 second mark)

Freeview Joe
Freeview Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:17 pm

I stand corrected! I attended that final at Yeovil, the third of five matches we played against our dear friends in 12 days, and wearing that red and white kit did not register in my memory. Perhaps it was used on other occasions as well as at Witney and Yeovil...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:50 pm

comrade powell wrote:I stand corrected! I attended that final at Yeovil, the third of five matches we played against our dear friends in 12 days, and wearing that red and white kit did not register in my memory. Perhaps it was used on other occasions as well as at Witney and Yeovil...

I have to agree - I was at Yeovil that day for the SLC final and I had no recollection of us playing in the red and white shirts either!

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down