Bath City v Dulwich

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bath City v Dulwich

Post by tovid on Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:59 pm

Fantastic performance against a very good side.

Jerry recognised where change needed to be made at half time bringing on Frankie and we looked very solid. Brunt was rightly MOM putting in a terrific shift but generally everyone worked their socks off. 

Looks like there is a good team spirit developing and Jerry has brought in the tools to do the job.
avatar
tovid

Posts : 69
Join date : 2018-06-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath City v Dulwich

Post by pete mac on Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:17 pm

An important statement win today.

We are in there!

pete mac

Posts : 737
Join date : 2014-02-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath City v Dulwich

Post by bonzo dog on Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:37 pm

Nice win for the boys!!

Some of the 'acting' from the Dull-itch team were on a par with Neymar... At least the ref had a lift home.....
avatar
bonzo dog

Posts : 20
Join date : 2014-02-23
Location : Here

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath City v Dulwich

Post by Marc Monitor on Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:24 pm

I have to admit that I didn't think Ryan was as good as Tuesday and thought that he should have been replaced by Mills instead of Stearn. The first half was possibly our worst half this season (I missed H & R in my defence). Nothing was working for us and I can only put that down to Dulwich Hamlet stopping us playing our game. I had heard that they were a big immobile team but I thought their forwards were quick and clever and we almost conceded another couple exactly the same as the first goal. Fair play to Jerry, he must have given them a bollocking at half-time and putting on Frankie seemed to shore us up (no disrespect to Watto). Second half though, we were all over them and that showed by them getting niggly all over the shop. Fair play though, they are a good team who brought a good travelling support and I hope they stay up in this division. Bloody 6th for us though? Shows what this division is going to be like this season - any team putting together a couple of wins is going to do well.
avatar
Marc Monitor

Posts : 1555
Join date : 2014-02-20
Age : 51
Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath City v Dulwich

Post by Corstonian on Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:44 pm

The proverbial game of two halves - we were fortunate to be only one down at the break, with their slick passing opening up our defence far too often and our forwards struggling to get into the game. The midfield looked overrun at times so Brunt looked isolated and frustrated, and it just wasn't Stearn's day at all.
But things improved immediately with the midfield change and our attitude was first-class throughout the second half as we took control and forced the win. Not a bad game overall and impressive away support giving it plenty of atmosphere.

Corstonian

Posts : 50
Join date : 2014-03-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath City v Dulwich

Post by Freeview Joe on Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:56 pm

Outstanding result today.

More so as (if it’s some consolation to the terrific support they brought with them) I thought Dulwich Hamlet were a fantastic side. They ran right through us for the majority of the first half and I was wondering if we were going to be on the end of a bit of a hammering to be honest.

But testament to the change and what Jerry must have said at the break; that second half was absolutely superb! We wouldn’t have been able to do that not so long ago against teams like Dulwich. But with a mix of physicality, great pressure play, skill and tenacity, we completely turned the game around.

I know its early doors, but if we keep on playing like that (and we’re lucky with the injuries) I've got a feeling this season is going to be a good one. Well done boys!
avatar
Freeview Joe

Posts : 47
Join date : 2017-07-15
Location : The View from the Front Bedroom Window

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath City v Dulwich

Post by SteveBradley on Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:00 pm

Corstonian wrote:The proverbial game of two halves - we were fortunate to be only one down at the break, with their slick passing opening up our defence far too often and our forwards struggling to get into the game. The midfield looked overrun at times so Brunt looked isolated and frustrated, and it just wasn't Stearn's day at all.
But things improved immediately with the midfield change and our attitude was first-class throughout the second half as we took control and forced the win. Not a bad game overall and impressive away support giving it plenty of atmosphere.

I mentioned on here earlier in the Summer that Dulwich would bring a decent crowd, and a few people were sceptical in response. They're a great addition to Conference South.

Crowd was announced as 869. How many of that were away fans ?

SteveBradley

Posts : 192
Join date : 2014-02-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath City v Dulwich

Post by Corstonian on Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:38 pm

SteveBradley wrote:

I mentioned on here earlier in the Summer that Dulwich would bring a decent crowd, and a few people were sceptical in response. They're a great addition to Conference South.

Crowd was announced as 869. How many of that were away fans ?

100 or more I'd say - in addition to the main large group behind the goal there were a fair few in the stand and enclosure. Great support and I hope they all enjoyed their day regardless of the result. As you say they are a team which needs to be at this level.

Corstonian

Posts : 50
Join date : 2014-03-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath City v Dulwich

Post by Marc Monitor on Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:42 am

Yes, Steve, I have to admit that I heard that they didn't travel away in great numbers.

Having said that, they are the hipster club and a weekend away in Bath in August should be right up their street. I wonder how many will go to Torquay in February
avatar
Marc Monitor

Posts : 1555
Join date : 2014-02-20
Age : 51
Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath City v Dulwich

Post by Peter Newman on Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:59 am

For my benefit ( and probably for several others) can someone explain what is the meaning of a "hipster" club.

Someone used that expression in the bar and when I asked what it meant but was simply told it was clubs like Dulwich. - So none the wiser.

Which other clubs are "Hipster"?






Peter Newman

Posts : 85
Join date : 2015-09-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath City v Dulwich

Post by Micawber on Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:37 am

Is it the equivalent of the word "Yuppie" that was in popular usage in the 80s ?

Micawber

Posts : 74
Join date : 2014-02-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath City v Dulwich

Post by PHILB1973# on Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:45 am

Since I've recently restarted watching the City after an absence of about 7 years that is the best I've seen us play. I've always liked a team who can pick themselves off the floor during the course of a game and that is exactly what we did yesterday. Although we were great against Torquay I think most teams will be up for it against them so for us to sort ourselves out during the game against Dulwich was very pleasing.
avatar
PHILB1973#

Posts : 90
Join date : 2014-02-25
Age : 44
Location : Bristol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath City v Dulwich

Post by sirkev on Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:52 am

Jerry earnt his money with the half time talk and substitution. Good to see the comeback as last year that probably wouldn't have happened. Great athmosphere at TP with the Dulwich fans playing their part. Another tough one next weekend but winnable and then our friends from down the road on the Monday!!

sirkev

Posts : 42
Join date : 2015-10-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath City v Dulwich

Post by comrade powell on Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:34 am

Micawber wrote:Is it the equivalent of the word "Yuppie" that was in popular usage in the 80s ?

I had to read that twice. First time I read 'Yuffie'... Very Happy
avatar
comrade powell

Posts : 4324
Join date : 2014-01-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath City v Dulwich

Post by Roy D Hacksaw on Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:06 pm

Micawber wrote:Is it the equivalent of the word "Yuppie" that was in popular usage in the 80s ?

Nope.

Hipsters, broadly, are a contemporary fashion anti-movement. To many they're considered to be the young(ish) people who grow massive beards, wear mainly tweed, and eat their dinner off slates and planks. But generally anything that's become popular among a slightly alternative crowd has become dubbed as hipster. There aren't really any specific rules or regs, but very few people describe themselves as hipsters, and it's usually used as a derogatory term.

Dulwich aren't so much a hipster club, as a club that have become popular among a less traditional football crowd who are generally into the more leftfield, underground cultural mores.

It's not a massive thing over here. Clapton FC (and latterly their spin-off club Clapton Community), and at a push AFC Wimbledon and FC United are the other clubs that could best be described of having this kind of following.

So that was a long-winded way of saying that they're not so much a hipster club as such, but have a slightly more knowing, cooler (in their perception) following than a lot of clubs.

I think I've made it less clear there, haven't I!

Roy D Hacksaw

Posts : 356
Join date : 2014-03-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath City v Dulwich

Post by Roy D Hacksaw on Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:08 pm

And may I just add, an excellent and committed fandom, too!

Roy D Hacksaw

Posts : 356
Join date : 2014-03-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath City v Dulwich

Post by Steve Whites Missus on Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:44 pm

Roy D Hacksaw wrote:
Micawber wrote:Is it the equivalent of the word "Yuppie" that was in popular usage in the 80s ?

Hipsters, broadly, are a contemporary fashion anti-movement.

This sentence, while accurate, makes me laugh so much..... I imagine them all shouting... "we are all individuals"... whilst sat in the Cereal Killer Cafe

Steve Whites Missus

Posts : 669
Join date : 2015-02-05
Age : 51
Location : Bath

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath City v Dulwich

Post by Marc Monitor on Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:15 pm

Ha, having started this with a flippant remark, I should probably say that I broadly agree with Roy's description. The term "hipster" originally was used to describe bohemian jazz fans in the 40s (interestingly, it appears to have either come from a derivative of "hop," a slang term for opium or the West African word hipi, meaning "to open one's eyes"). It re-emerged in the 60s and has come to mean someone who is fashionable, 'cool' or 'trendy' as Roy points out. As it goes, I didn't think the away support was particularly like that and there were probably as many examples of 'hipsters' in the home support as away. There were also some very old school Dulwich supporters - there was some language used to criticise players coming from the away support that seemed very much at odds with their LGBT-inclusive approach. There was a group of affable lads in the Oak - one of whom was even wearing Stone Island!

However, as Roy points out, Dulwich Hamlet are one of the those clubs, like FC United and Clapton, who have attracted supporters who have had enough of the higher levels of football or were never attracted in the first place but like the more relaxed, friendly unsegregated atmosphere of the lower leagues.

Although he would never admit it, a lot of Dulwich Hamlet's adoption by these sort of supporters was if not kicked off by at least was increased by this guy, Mike Urban who runs a couple of big websites mentioned in that clip that have got behind Dulwich. Interestingly, Mike is an old friend of mine (and, I think, Roy's) who, like me, quit supporting Cardiff City when Vincent Tan rebranded the club and the supporters sold the soul of the club for the promise of a season in the Premiership. A fair few of us refusenik have ended up supporting clubs who are or have been in this league - Wimbledon, Oxford City, Maidenhead etc - while other have ended up even lower at Bracknell and Mortimer. It is a sign, I think, of the bloated distant nature of a lot of higher level football, I feel.
avatar
Marc Monitor

Posts : 1555
Join date : 2014-02-20
Age : 51
Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath City v Dulwich

Post by tovid on Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:29 pm

I cannot get my head round the term 'anti-movement'. If it is a movement that is anti something what is it anti? Or is it something against movements entirely? Or is it just people lumping other people they don't like together?
avatar
tovid

Posts : 69
Join date : 2018-06-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath City v Dulwich

Post by Roy D Hacksaw on Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:01 pm

tovid wrote:I cannot get my head round the term 'anti-movement'. If it is a movement that is anti something what is it anti? Or is it something against movements entirely? Or is it just people lumping other people they don't like together?

It's a bunch of people all trying not to be the same, but in the same way and at the same time. A movement that isn't a movement, rather than something that's against something. Any clearer?

Roy D Hacksaw

Posts : 356
Join date : 2014-03-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath City v Dulwich

Post by Peter Newman on Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:40 pm

Not sure I am any clearer on what " Hipster " really means.  I take it is  a movement with the aim of being  anti-movement.  

Anyway as for the game I thought we did really well to get the win. I think that the change at half-time  made all the difference as, from the poplar side, it appeared that  Andy Watkins was making very little headway down the right.
More bite in midfield and Adam Mann down the right meant we put more pressure on the whole of the Dulwich defence.

Peter Newman

Posts : 85
Join date : 2015-09-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath City v Dulwich

Post by kermit on Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:01 pm

I think there is a lot of hot air being spouted by Marc and Roy......I think this definition of hipster is something we can all understand ...

https://www.myshreddies.com/flatulence/mens/hipsters

The hipster is a popular, contemporary style of flatulence filtering underwear. This style offers flatulence filtration and a very comfortable fit. The taut waistband and material content provides more support than ordinary underwear.

I'm telling you Brian.

avatar
kermit

Posts : 511
Join date : 2014-02-20
Age : 23
Location : Rostrenen, Brittany, France.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath City v Dulwich

Post by yuffie on Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:21 pm

I quite like a few of the definitions on here

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hipster

yuffie

Posts : 920
Join date : 2014-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath City v Dulwich

Post by SteveBradley on Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:27 am

Marc Monitor wrote:Ha, having started this with a flippant remark, I should probably say that I broadly agree with Roy's description. The term "hipster" originally was used to describe bohemian jazz fans in the 40s (interestingly, it appears to have either come from a derivative of "hop," a slang term for opium or the West African word hipi, meaning "to open one's eyes"). It re-emerged in the 60s and has come to mean someone who is fashionable, 'cool' or 'trendy' as Roy points out. As it goes, I didn't think the away support was particularly like that and there were probably as many examples of 'hipsters' in the home support as away. There were also some very old school Dulwich supporters - there was some language used to criticise players coming from the away support that seemed very much at odds with their LGBT-inclusive approach. There was a group of affable lads in the Oak - one of whom was even wearing Stone Island!

However, as Roy points out, Dulwich Hamlet are one of the those clubs, like FC United and Clapton, who have attracted supporters who have had enough of the higher levels of football or were never attracted in the first place but like the more relaxed, friendly unsegregated atmosphere of the lower leagues.

Although he would never admit it, a lot of Dulwich Hamlet's adoption by these sort of supporters was if not kicked off by at least was increased by this guy, Mike Urban who runs a couple of big websites mentioned in that clip that have got behind Dulwich. Interestingly, Mike is an old friend of mine (and, I think, Roy's) who, like me, quit supporting Cardiff City when Vincent Tan rebranded the club and the supporters sold the soul of the club for the promise of a season in the Premiership. A fair few of us refusenik have ended up supporting clubs who are or have been in this league - Wimbledon, Oxford City, Maidenhead etc - while other have ended up even lower at Bracknell and Mortimer. It is a sign, I think, of the bloated distant nature of a lot of higher level football, I feel.

Mike Urban deserves a lot of credit for Dulwich going from a club with at best a couple of hundred at games, to being one with a couple of thousand.

About 6 or 7 years ago he used his Urban 75 Brixton forum to get a few people interested in adopting Dulwich as their nearest local team, and it snowballed form there. Once a certain vibe started happening around the club, it then started attracting a lot of other people too.

I had a good chat with Mike a couple of times about football and Cardiff (he DJd at the launch event for the second issue of the Brixton Pound notes which I organised back in c. 2011). His Urban 75 forum has a good influence and presence amongst Brixton's counter-cultural crowd, and I would personally give him a lot of credit for starting the vibe around Dulwich.

Roy D's definition of Hipsters above is pretty good IMO. The only thing not mentioned by anyone yet is the 'Against Modern Football' vibe/movement that is part of the appeal of clubs like Dulwich. Although AMF tends to be more of a thing amongst grittier and lefty clubs like Clapton and St Pauli. Dulwich's fanbase are broadly and achingly well-heeled middle class folk. They even jangle their keys and sing about having holiday homes in Tuscany as a form of playful self-mocking.

SteveBradley

Posts : 192
Join date : 2014-02-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath City v Dulwich

Post by Luton Roman on Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:18 pm

From the Dulwich report:

The home side had no other alarms as they saw out five minutes of allotted stoppage time, at least a minute of which was used up by perhaps the slowest walk from the field by a player being replaced.


The reporter clearly didn't see Stuart Douglas at Chelmsford a few years back when we were winning. His legs were moving but didn't seem to propel him to the touchline with the same proportionate speed.

Luton Roman

Posts : 1432
Join date : 2014-02-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath City v Dulwich

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum