Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twerton Park Open Day

+2
comrade powell
Maurice Ashman
6 posters

Go down

Twerton Park Open Day Empty Twerton Park Open Day

Post by Maurice Ashman Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:36 pm

'Congratulations to all concerned in organising this 'kick-off' to the season - especially 'chief interrogator' Bob!
It was great to have a look behind the scenes and hear from Gerry and the players about the plans for the upcoming season. It all augers very well for the coming months.
'Up the City!'

Maurice Ashman

Back to top Go down

Twerton Park Open Day Empty Re: Twerton Park Open Day

Post by comrade powell Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:37 pm

Agreed Maurice. I thought there was a decent turnout considering the weather with lots of young children present. And well done to management and players for giving up their time in what has been a very busy pre-season for them.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:49 pm

I wasn't called upon* but heard it went well. This event always seems to take place during a horrible day, standard this was the first bad one in months.

There seems to be a collective effort in everyone feeling like they're making a difference. That's not just on the playing side, it's the same with volunteers, supporters etc. It's getting better year on year. I'm hoping it continues, it's good to have high expectations but remembering that it might not all be plain sailing on the pitch. People realising that the players are a decent group of men should, hopefully, result in less criticism on the whole.

* selfishly relieved. Stag weekends in your 30s are mentally and physically exhausting.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:00 pm

100% agree - great day. Also found Ross Stearn's insights on playing for a club (Sutton) with 3G fascinating. Particularly how a consistent pitch allowed the team to develop a particular style of play at home.
I have always been slightly in favour of 3G from perceived revenue streams and community angle, but had never really considered how 3G could help a team from a tactical perspective.
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:08 pm

Dusty Lynfield wrote:100% agree - great day.  Also found Ross Stearn's insights on playing for a club (Sutton) with 3G fascinating.  Particularly how a consistent pitch allowed the team to develop a particular style of play at home.
I have always been slightly in favour of 3G from perceived revenue streams and community angle, but had never really considered how 3G could help a team from a tactical perspective.

You only have to look at the success rates of clubs with artificial surfaces in various leagues across Europe to see that it seems to give them some sort of edge.

SteveBradley

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:17 am

I thought it was excellent. I manned the Supporters' Society desk for a while and it was a bit quiet but, perhaps, that is due to Michael Clayton being more of a "public-facing" person than I. I thought that it really highlighted the community feel to the club with directors, management and players all being at hand to the supporters both in the more formal parts of the day and informally just around the club. Just seeing Ross and Jim's partners and new babies there, Ryan Clarke taking part in the shoot-out goal with his children (I assume) and being able to have a chat with new players like Adam Mann and Joe Raynes made it feel like a world apart from cosseted players who go around in a bubble. I think that a day like this perhaps makes the players feel like they are a different sort of club and certainly does for the supporters.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down