Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bath City (2)2 Hampton & Richmond Borough (0)0

+4
Marc Monitor
Tony73
the demon headmaster
Kelston Koppite
8 posters

Go down

Bath City (2)2  Hampton & Richmond Borough (0)0 Empty Bath City (2)2 Hampton & Richmond Borough (0)0

Post by Kelston Koppite Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:28 pm

Bath City bounced back from their disappointing midweek reverse at the hands of Weston-super-Mare by producing a rousing performance at a cold and damp Twerton Park and, in the process, ended the 21-game unbeaten run of high flying visitors Hampton & Richmond Borough.  Two goals in the first half proved sufficient margin to secure an impressive victory in the face of considerable pressure from the visitors after the break.

The game started slowly with the teams gradually coming to terms with the wet underfoot conditions, and the first opening was created by Borough after 5 minutes when Brendan Kiernan's low shot was directed straight at home keeper Luke Southwood.  City responded two minutes later through Ross Stearn's shot from outside the box, but his effort was wide of the target.

Playing towards the Bath End, the hosts were beginning to gain some forward momentum, and Jack Compton's 14th minute shot was deflected behind for a corner.  With the Beavers' defence coming under increasing pressure, the home side took the lead on 17 minutes.  Compton delivered a delicious free kick into the Hampton area from the right, and Frankie Artus glanced his header into the bottom corner of the net beyond the dive of goalkeeper Manny Agboola.

The visitors were visibly shaken by this setback, and Bath pushed forward strongly in search of further reward.  Indeed, their advantage was doubled in the 25th minute, when Nat Jarvis was bundled over by skipper Josh Casey inside the penalty box following a through ball from Tom Smith. The referee, Mr. Tom Reeves, had no hesitation in pointing to the spot, from where Compton sent Agboola the wrong way with an emphatic strike.

The game should have been put beyond Hampton on 28 minutes when a Stearn ball in from the left fell invitingly to the unmarked Jarvis, but the frontman sliced his shot woefully wide from deep inside the area. The away side narrowly escaped further punishment when Agboola's spiralling clearance was pounced on by James Morton, and his cross was defected narrowly behind Compton as the Cityman prepared to shoot from close range.  

Compton had another effort from distance which was high and wide as City's dominance continued, but they were thankful to Southwood for an outstanding double save 10 minutes before the interval.  A free kick was lifted into the danger area from the left with Southwood firstly repelling Sam Long's header a full length, and then recovering quickly to block Christian Jolley's follow up effort.

The remainder of the first 45 minutes passed without notable incident, but City would find themselves under increasing pressure following the resumption.  

Brendan Kiernan burst through on goal in the 55th minute, but Southwood expertly pushed him wide, and then made an excellent blocking save at the midfielder's feet.  Josh Taylor made good ground down the right on the hour mark, and his eventual cross was headed wide of Southwood's near post by Max Kretzschmar who appealed pleadingly for a corner, alas to no avail.

Despite their dominance of possession and territory, the visitors were unable to unlock the resolute home rearguard.  Consequently, they became increasingly frustrated, which manifested itself with frequent badgering of the referee and over-dramatic reaction to challenges.

The hosts remained a threat on the break throughout, but Borough continued to push forward in numbers, and Artus was required to make an heroic blocking tackle inside his own box on 70 minutes to thwart Long's powerful drive following a partially cleared corner. A freekick from the left was nodded wide of Southwood's far post by Jolley, and Charlie Wassmer again headed wide from a Kretzschmar cross.

Antoine Semenyo replaced the injured Jarvis on 77 minutes, but still Borough probed the City defence.  Another freekick into the home box was flicked on by Wassmer, but Elliott Charles' header was too close to Southwood, who held on comfortably.  Substitute Harry Crawford then saw his angled shot fly straight into the arms of the home stopper.

Oaklan Buck came on for the tiring Compton with four minutes left on the clock as City saw out the game safely.  With Hampton running out of ideas, Semenyo had two presentable opportunities to apply some further gloss to the scoreline.  Firstly, he was found by Smith's pass before cutting inside and drawing a good diving save from Adboola at the foot of his near post, then he advanced towards the away box before firing over the crossbar.

This was a hard-fought victory for Jerry Gill's men, and they had to show great courage and maintain concentration to keep their opponents at bay during an energy sapping second period.  Luke Southwood made some crucial saves to preserve his side's two goal cushion, but it must not be overlooked that his side fully deserved their half time lead.  Hampton are a strong team, showing at times why they have enjoyed such an impressive run of results, and City can take great pride and encouragement from this result.

Bath City: Luke Southwood; Miles Welch-Hayes, Jack Batten, Dan Ball, Anthony Straker; Frankie Artus, James Morton; Ross Stearn, Tom Smith, Jack Compton (Oaklan Buck 86); Nat Jarvis (Antoine Semenyo 77). Subs not used: Ryan Case, Matt Richards, Kieran Hodges.

Hampton & Richmond Borough: Manny Agboola; Ben Wynter, Josh Casey, Sam Long, Charlie Wassmer, Christian Jolley, Brendan Kiernan (Harry Crawford 62), Shandon Baptiste, Elliott Charles (Taurean Roberts 85), Max Kretzschmar, Josh Taylor. Subs not used: Shaun McAuley, Luke Sheldrick, Michael Kamara.

Referee:  Mr. Tom Reeves

Att:  593
Kelston Koppite
Kelston Koppite

Back to top Go down

Bath City (2)2  Hampton & Richmond Borough (0)0 Empty Re: Bath City (2)2 Hampton & Richmond Borough (0)0

Post by the demon headmaster Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:16 pm

A very good win. I listened to the last 25 minutes on the radio and usually this is torture but we seemed to deal with the pressure well and could have increased our lead. Having said that I was very glad when the final whistle blew. I think it was a case of had Hampton got one back they would have pushed very hard for an equaliser.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Bath City (2)2  Hampton & Richmond Borough (0)0 Empty Re: Bath City (2)2 Hampton & Richmond Borough (0)0

Post by Tony73 Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:30 pm

Great performance today, defensively strong and team looked very balanced. Not that it matters hugely but first goal looked OG from where I was standing right behind goal. Great double save in first half and weathered storm in 2nd. Their big number 9 won a lot in the air but no-one could get to 2nd ball. As was said in bar afterwards still a 3rd of season to go and everything to play for.

Tony73

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelston Koppite Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:40 pm

Tony73 wrote: Not that it matters hugely but first goal looked OG from where I was standing right behind goal.

Interesting you should say that as a friend of mine who was sitting in the stand also thought that it was an own goal. From my viewing point on the Pop Side I was sure that it was Frankie Artus who got the telling touch. Just shows how we all see different things!
Kelston Koppite
Kelston Koppite

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:50 pm

Interesting game today. The first goal looked like the sort of good delivery that we don't often get anything from but today we did. Jarvis' drawing of the penalty was the best thing I have seen him do at the club. A couple of people thought that, were we to concede a goal from their sustained period of pressure in the second half, it would be squeaky bum time. However, I didn't really feel that they were going to score. I wanted the final whistle at the end not because we were hanging on but more due to me being cold and wanting a pint.

To bring an unbeaten run like that to an end is a great achievement, there is no doubt about it. To do so quite as comfortably as we did was excellent. Nice cameo from Antoine Semenyo as well.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:59 pm

Kelston Koppite wrote:
Tony73 wrote: Not that it matters hugely but first goal looked OG from where I was standing right behind goal.

Interesting you should say that as a friend of mine who was sitting in the stand also thought that it was an own goal.  From my viewing point on the Pop Side I was sure that it was Frankie Artus who got the telling touch.  Just shows how we all see different things!

I was also absolutely convinced live that it was an own goal, but having seen Chris Stone’s video on social media it’s definitely Frankie who gets the final touch.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:07 pm

Ashley wrote:
Kelston Koppite wrote:

Interesting you should say that as a friend of mine who was sitting in the stand also thought that it was an own goal.  From my viewing point on the Pop Side I was sure that it was Frankie Artus who got the telling touch.  Just shows how we all see different things!

I was also absolutely convinced live that it was an own goal, but having seen Chris Stone’s video on social media it’s definitely Frankie who gets the final touch.

I was stood with Ashley and was also convinced that the first goal was an own goal by Hampton’s number 5. Like Ashley, having seen Chris Stone’s video I am happy to give it to Frankie as well!

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:15 pm

What sort of witnesses would you two be to a crime?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:24 pm

Very Happy

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:33 pm

What I liked was that we had two players wanting to take the penalty after months of looking to whoever was the newest loanee who wasn't cursed to take it. Compton and Stearn have added a nice amount of cocky arrogance that we needed in this side.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:44 pm

Marc Monitor wrote:What I liked was that we had two players wanting to take the penalty after months of looking to whoever was the newest loanee who wasn't cursed to take it. Compton and Stearn have added a nice amount of cocky arrogance that we needed in this side.

Had you just arrived when it was being taken? Cool Razz
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:57 pm

Ha ha, I had a couple of comments like that. No, I was fully ensconced by the Mo-B-Q by then. Indeed, it showed that, when I arrive, the goals flow.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down