Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was it really that bad ?

+4
pete44
Micawber
SASCHA
comrade powell
8 posters

Go down

Was it really  that bad ? Empty Was it really that bad ?

Post by SASCHA Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:42 pm

Am I alone in my confusion as to the whereabouts of our friends who endured yet another disappointing result yesterday. Or indeed any comments from other forum members as to their feelings and ideas of what to do try in order to change things.
I ask again , was it really that bad?

SASCHA

Back to top Go down

Was it really  that bad ? Empty Re: Was it really that bad ?

Post by comrade powell Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:00 pm

To be honest, Sascha, it wasn't great! Whitehawk were better than their dreadful run of results suggest but for large periods of the game we had the upper hand. But as with so many matches this season, we can't convert possession into scoring opportunities and goals. To be fair to the manager, he is trying out different things - Lucas got a start yesterday and at last converted a penalty!

The Somerset Cup is usually a game for the youngsters and fringe players from the squad - but I think it would be a good idea to play a stronger team at Keynsham on Tuesday and hopefully get a moral boosting win. See you there!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by SASCHA Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:48 pm

Thank you Martin
Just a little strange that everyone should decide not to post any comments.
Not really suggesting that I do have a problem with the manager although my doubts started to creep in when he failed to use Lucas as a sub against Chelmsford in the cup at Twerton Park.
Lucas had impacted to some degree in previous substitutions and although Gerry Gill wasn't with us then I thought perhaps some input and gentle persuasion from Jimmer, who after all is the assistant and knows more about the players than Gerry.
Still somewhat confused with his use of (or non use of) replacements.
Not having a go at him or doubting his potential just feel perhaps he has tried to change things to quickly.
As for Keynsham, I agree with you about fielding a strong team.
But as for seeing you there, not sure.
Do they have a directors box ?

SASCHA

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:35 pm

SASCA I was thinking the same thing. I was not there but my son was and his brief report was lacklustre without even much of the pretty football - still trying to walk it onto the net.
I was not going to post anything for fear of upsetting some of the more sensitive forum members but I agree with your comments.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by Micawber Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:39 am

I didn't think that Nick McCootie seemed to be enjoying the role that he has been given to play. He is a clumsy tackler and playing as deep as he often did on Saturday the free kicks he conceded were often in dangerous positions. It's a pity Lemonheigh-Evans got injured as he wasn't afraid to shoot on sight as proved by his cracking goal at Havant. Anyway I assume that his loan spell is now over.

Micawber

Back to top Go down

Post by pete44 Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:26 am

We weren't great, I came away from the game really frustrated. Whitehawk aren't a bad side but you can tell they aren't a team - the players seem to argue with each other a lot. Once we got the 1st we really should have pushed hard to get a second and kill them off. The pitch didn't help our game either, very undulating.
Our need to try and pass it into the net is problematic, right at the end Smith was well placed in the box but passed rather than shoot, same about 20 minutes from the end, we have a 4 on 3 situation [roughly] and we ended up passing the ball out of play.

pete44

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:25 am

pete44 wrote:same about 20 minutes from the end, we have a 4 on 3 situation [roughly] and we ended up passing the ball out of play.

I think that was the moment I went all Keegan on air. Massively frustrating.

A majority of those Whitehawk players were signed in October. Defensively I thought they were better than their goals against column suggests, but once we had the lead we should have been able to see it out.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:31 am

Realistically we have a manager in his initial first team management role.  He must still be finding his way and I guess that is evident on the pitch.

We have played some amazing football at times, from his early tactic changes (from Owers' regime) and training ideas... it is gonna take him a little bit of time to bed into what is needed to win games at this level. We do look like an under 23 training team at times.

Hopefully this'll happen sooner rather than later as JGs appointment was both a bold and exciting move by the board.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by pete44 Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:13 pm

I wish we'd have a few more shots - Whitehawk's keeper didn't look too confident and hes had a fair few goals knocked past him this season.
Just in the last few weeks v Braintree and Dartford we've scored via deflected shots from the edge of the box

pete44

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:19 pm

pete44 wrote:I wish we'd have a few more shots - Whitehawk's keeper didn't look too confident and hes had a fair few goals knocked past him this season.

Agree with your first point, but it was actually his home league debut in goal. He'd let in one in from two appearances since joining on loan. I think they released their previous keeper in the week. He was 6'10, about two foot taller than Steve King. Rare chance for me to make a joke about those things.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:16 pm

It is pretty obvious we don't have enough killer instinct at the moment, I even wonder if we would have managed to convert the opportunity handed to Dartford on a plate to win the game recently.
Home games against Chelmsford, Dartford and Braintree have seem us match them in most areas but I think what it has shown is that they have players better equipped to get results in this league, maybe not by playing pretty football but by having the know how to grind it out at this level.
Jerry Gill has to learn what is required in this league and perhaps he beginning to realise pretty football is not everything - I think his comments in the Chronicle last week were along the lines of we can't keep saying we played well but did not win.
I don't know anything about the guy Richards but looking at his record he has a lot of experience at various levels in the football league so perhaps he is seen as someone who can give us the bit of steel and know how we need to help get the results because at the moment I feel we are a bit of a soft touch.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by City 'til we're relegated Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:19 pm

Who'd have thought that a relegation battle might be looming, rather than a promotion tussle?

City 'til we're relegated

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:46 pm

City 'til we're relegated wrote:Who'd have thought that a relegation battle might be looming, rather than a promotion tussle?

10 points off relegation... 6 from playoffs.... I know which I'm more hopeful of

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum