Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City manager

+41
SASCHA
Beau Nash
Grandma Gibbons
Dodgycarpet
Roy D Hacksaw
bone ash
Manchester Romans
City 'til we're relegated
OliverH
bonzo dog
comrade powell
yuffie
Midsomer-steve
Ashley
SteveS
Ancient Mariner
Bluebird
kermit
thegulls1981
Dave
LB
Major Icewater
London Calling
sirkev
Tapper80
Micawber
turnstyle13
BenE
sned
cbtroman
Marc Monitor
2weirdtown
stillmanjunior
Citylink
Jon_BOA
pete mac
Freeview Joe
Steve Whites Missus
Luton Roman
Dusty Lynfield
Sir Ged Roddy
45 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

City manager Empty City manager

Post by Sir Ged Roddy Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:12 am

Sir Ged Roddy

Back to top Go down

City manager Empty Re: City manager

Post by Dusty Lynfield Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:17 am

Oh no.... this all sounds ominous to me. If Owers was there to watch their last game, I think it will happen....what other reason would he have to be there, unless he was looking at a player, which I doubt?
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:30 am

Just looked on the Torquay fan forum....they are underwhelmed by Gary going there and feel he is someone close to their unpopular Board. The consensus is Kevin Nicholson will come our way. They have also suggested if Gary does go, he will take Compton, Straker and and some of the others with him. Off to work now.....hopefully when I get home, this will have all blown over and nothing will have come of it....
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:02 am

AGAIN??????????????????????????????????????

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:05 am

Well pissed off with this. Clearly we are just a stepping stone for him. GO and dont come back again.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:07 am

I suppose this isn't blown over...

http://www.bathcityfc.com/gary-owers-leave-city-take-managerial-post-torquay-united/

I would have been fine if he had left to better himself, but a team only one division higher, in freefall with madness behind the scenes....

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeview Joe Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:15 am

Had a funny feeling he would go there as soon as Kevin N got the sack ... he's done it before and now he's done it again Sad
Freeview Joe
Freeview Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:19 am

Kev Nicholson and Jim would be a good partnership. We could pass them going the other way.

Not happy that GO has gone now when its all coming together.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon_BOA Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:29 am

I weirdly expected it more last year, and would have been fine with it, am more annoyed given how he's been able to build his own side here this year, and then he leaves for the Torquay basket case.

I know as a club we are good at not standing in players way when higher clubs come calling (See Monthe, Manny etc.,) but this time for all the players we've got on contract if Torquay ask for them, I hope we tell them where to go.

Jon_BOA

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:31 am

I know Owers wanted them on contract but are all of them or just a few?

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Citylink Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:27 am

Not sold on a manager who had a very unsuccessful spell at Torquay. Think we have to be looking at something different. New blood. Rollo is a legend. But even legends have to leave. Whipe it clean and bring in fresh meat. New start.

Citylink

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:28 am

Contenders - Nicholson, though he left us dont forget though perhaps understandable at the time. Dont see what is attractive about Torquay now at all. Mark Cooper will soon be out of a job at FGR but will want mega bucks. FL coaches at City, Rovers or another west country club that want some grass roots experience. Is there such a thing as a loan manager ??. Collier from Chipp, wanting to take on a bigger club. Tim Harris at Gloucester, but another one whos been here, done that. Rollo, not for me. Any other west country managers / coaches available?

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Citylink Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:55 am

Collier would be a good appointment LR. Getting one over on Chippenham also. Would that even up the scorline also from earlier in the season?

Citylink

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:26 pm

Matt Taylor?

I'll reply fully later. Currently promoting the club at a Freshers Fair.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeview Joe Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:50 pm

Citylink wrote:Collier would be a good appointment LR. Getting one over on Chippenham also. Would that even up the scorline also from earlier in the season?

Collier's name sprung to mind when I first heard the news this morning ... Did City tap him up previously? (before Owers got the job) ... I have heard him and the Bluebird's chairman are like blood brothers though, so it might be a bit of an ask to pull him away from Hardenhuish Park
Freeview Joe
Freeview Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:02 pm

This is really disappointing news. I guess Owers was on little or no money though and if he's been offered a decent wage then who can blame him.
Very concerned about this sowing the seeds of yet another cup exit on Saturday, unless of course City have someone lined up already. Unlikely methinks.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:07 pm

Jim's taking over the dug out on Saturday according the official site.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by cbtroman Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:31 pm

Owers stated that when he left originally to go to Forest Green, it was because he was ambitious. It would be fair to say therefore that he must have felt Bath City at the time were simply not ambitious enough and I think that would be a fair criticism at the time. If he wants to succeed as manager, then he has to aim high. That should be respected.

This time though it's different. Why come back to what he regards as a small club? Signing a 2 year contract seemed madness and so I can't really say good luck to him in all honesty. He also has had a good injection of cash into the playing budget in comparison with many clubs in Conference South.

I think how the board react to this will say a lot about this club. If it can appoint a well respected manager who has played at a high level similar to Owers/Bodin then I think the club has done all it can. Equally, if it goes for an easy option like Rollo or even Collier, then I would say it really doesn't want promotion.

Rollo has a fantastic attitude but I don't think it would be right to appoint someone based simply on sentiment. He's not managed before and with this season being the first year of community ownership, we need to be saying to the Bath public that we're playing to win the league.

It would be sending the wrong message to the Bath public to appoint Rollo. Great for the diehards, but with respect he's not had an overly professional football background. Few spells here and there but not sustained himself at a high level unlike Bodin/Owers.

Being brutally honest I think this club can sometimes lose sight of the big picture. I respect the efforts made off the pitch to improve attendances, marketing etc. but the bottom line is that this is a FOOTBALL club. Attendances go up when the club does well on the pitch, not so much off it. We need a manager who wants promotion to conference premier (and beyond). It can be done.

Otherwise, why bother?.............

One positive from this though is that despite a good run of results, performance wise, it hasn't actually been that impressive. We've gone behind in the majority of games I think.

As mentioned, Saturday is going to be a much, much tougher game under the circumstances. (Good timing Owers) Crying or Very sad

cbtroman

Back to top Go down

Post by Citylink Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:37 pm

Didnt Mark Colliers assistant play at a high level like Owers and Bodin? Colliers a winner. Hes been very succesful. Thats what matters to me personally.

Citylink

Back to top Go down

Post by sned Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:49 pm

Brian Tinnion over at Bristol City has tweeted to say that they look forward to continuing their excellent relationship with us under our new manager.. so that's.... Something?!

sned

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:57 pm

2weirdtown wrote:This is really disappointing news.  I guess Owers was on little or no money though and if he's been offered a decent wage then who can blame him.
Very concerned about this sowing the seeds of yet another cup exit on Saturday, unless of course City have someone lined up already.  Unlikely methinks.

I would guess coaching fulltime players as opposed to a couple of evenings a week would suit his ambition more.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:05 pm

I presume he has been offered more money and no doubt promised 'a transfer kitty' so I can't blame him. The reality is that Bath City is not a big club. I personally wouldn't go to Torquay under the current circumstances but you can see the attraction.

I would hope that the board do not rush into a decision. Jimmer can hold the reins for a bit while a proper interview process is conducted. Let's see who wants to come here.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by turnstyle13 Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:13 pm

When Owers left last time I think that is when Relish/Britton arrived and they had excellent footballing knowledge at non-league level.

In the intervening 12 years I think the footballing geography has changed and that most good you local kids are quickly taken into the academy teams of the league clubs and are lost to the likes of us/non-league, and what Owers has demonstrated is that, with excellent contacts, he has been able to bring some of those youngsters to us on loan.

I would hope that whoever we appoint we learn those lessons, and get somebody who knows the non-league scene but is able to tap into those league academies.

I wonder what Jason Dodd is doing?

turnstyle13

Back to top Go down

Post by Citylink Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:39 pm

I think realistically I see it as a 3 horse race. Collier , Rollo , Nicholson. Ive put it in that order for a reason.

Citylink

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:47 pm

I don't buy this idea that it will adversely affect Saturday. Its the FA Cup and we are in a run of form. Jim provides some continuity. We the fans can help by turning up and encouraging them.

I think GO has left some good foundations we can build on. I still believe success is possible this season or next......

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next