Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hampton & Richmond Borough (1)2 Bath City (1)1

+5
SteveS
the demon headmaster
stillmanjunior
comrade powell
Kelston Koppite
9 posters

Go down

Hampton & Richmond Borough (1)2  Bath City (1)1 Empty Hampton & Richmond Borough (1)2 Bath City (1)1

Post by Kelston Koppite Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:41 am

Bath City suffered another frustrating defeat at a damp Beveree Stadium, home of Hampton & Richmond Borough, where they failed to make the most of a numerical advantage for the second game in succession, added to which, their old frailty of missing penalty kicks re-emerged.

The early stages of the game were largely uneventful, but City produced the first threat on goal on 6 minutes following Nick McCooties’ good work out on the left flank. His eventual cross to the near post almost found the onrushing Naby Diallo, but he was just beaten to the ball by a defender’s last ditch block at the expense of a corner.

The returning Jack Batten thought that he had opened the scoring a minute later when he headed a long ball into the box past home stopper Aaron Howe, but he was denied by an offside flag. Skipper Dan Ball then saw his shot from distance deflected wide by a defender.

Until this point, the hosts had posed no danger whatsoever to the City rearguard and it took 17 minutes for them to have their first attempt at goal. Brendon Kiernan worked his way across the visitor’s box, but his shot from 20 yards was straight at keeper Max O’Leary, who gathered comfortably.

It was somewhat out of the blue therefore when Borough took the lead in the 24th minute. Frankie Artus was penalised for a trip on Christian Jolley inside the box and the referee Mr. Elliott Kaye pointed to the spot. Full back Michael Kamara drilled his low shot from 12 yards firmly into the centre of the net.

Bath responded positively and began to put the home side under pressure and were rewarded on 32 minutes when the restored parity. Billy Murphy’s delivered a free kick into the heart of the Hampton area, and McCootie diverted the ball into the net beyond Howe, although it appeared that the unfortunate Nathan Collier helped it on its way.

The Romans were now well on top and were producing some enterprising attacking play and they were given the perfect opportunity to forge in front after 35 minutes. A neat interchange between George Rigg, Chas Hemmings and Diallo ended with McCootie being released into the box, where his run was blacked by Josh Casey. Mr. Kaye had no hesitation in awarding another penalty kick which appeared a little harsh on the defender, albeit his challenge was akin to the ‘old-fashioned’ obstruction. Murphy’s spot kick lacked the power and direction to beat Howe, and Artus could only head the rebound wide of the target.

Despite this setback, City continued to dominate proceedings and, five minutes before the break, Ball produced a powerful and incisive run down the left which ended with his low cross being deflected against the outside of the near post. Howe then made a useful diving save to keep out McCooties’ angled shot and, as the half time whistle approached, Manny Monthe’s towering header from Murphy’s corner kick was cleared off the goal-line with the goalkeeper rooted.

The commencement of the second period saw a complete change in the balance of play, and, in the 49th minute, O’Leary made an excellent save to deny Nicke Kabamba following a poor back-pass from Ball. A free kick from the left then fell invitingly towards Kiernan at the far post, but a timely defensive challenge prevented a clear shot on goal.

The hosts regained their lead on 55 minutes from a move that commenced with a blatant handball offence which was missed by the referee and his perfectly positioned assistant. The ball found its way out left to Jamal Lowe who, following a clever mazy run, planted a perfect cross on to the head of the unmarked Kabamba, who made no mistake from close range.

The Beavers were now well on top with City struggling to make any impression going forward, and O’Leary made another save to keep out Lowe’s effort from 20 yards following a free kick. However, Jolley was shown a straight red card on 62 minutes for a solid sliding challenge on Ball, that sent the Cityman flying into the air. Jolley may have been slightly unlucky with his banishment, but the tackle was deemed to be dangerous by the increasingly erratic Mr Kaye.

Artus shot wide of Howe’s post on 67 minute, and Diallo had an effort saved by the keeper eleven minutes later, but Bath were unable to make any use of their extra man despite Josh Hutchinson and Stuart Fleetwood replacing Murphy and Hemmings respectively. Their cause was not helped by the understandable time wasting tactics, but the referee did nothing to prevent this and succeeded in destroying any chance of the game flowing with a plethora of petty decisions.

Indeed, as time wore on, it was the home side that looked the more likely to add to the scoreline, and on 85 minutes, Joe Hicks headed narrowly over O’Leary’s crossbar following a corner from the left. The final action of the game saw substitute Shaquille Hippolyte-Patrick burst into the City box, but his shot found the outside of the side netting when he probably should have done better.

This was another disappointing defeat for City in a game where they should have taken at least a share of the spoils. Gary Owers’ men paid the price for not driving home their advantage when they were on top during the first half and further evidence was provided, if needed, that no side can afford to miss penalties. The hosts just about deserved their victory for their second half efforts and the way in which they coped with being a man down. Undoubtedly, however, the main taking point amongst the travelling City faithful will be the performance of the referee.

Bath City: Max O'Leary, George Rigg, Dan Ball, Chas Hemmings (Stuart Fleetwood, 83), Manny Monthe, Jack Batten, Naby Diallo, Billy Murphy (Josh Hutchinson, 67), Nick McCootie, Shaquille Hunter, Frankie Artus Subs not used: Dan Bowman, Lee Marshall, Harry Hickford.

Hampton & Richmond Borough: Aaron Howe, Michael Kamara, Josh Casey, Kieran Murphy, Joe Hicks, Nathan Collier, Brendan Kiernan (Shaquille Hippolyte-Patrick, 82), Leon Solomon, Nicke Kabamba, Jamal Lowe, Christian Jolley. Subs not used: Tom Jelley, Billy Bishop, Manny Williams, Jay Gasson.

Referee: Mr. Elliott Kaye

Attendance: 516
Kelston Koppite
Kelston Koppite

Back to top Go down

Hampton & Richmond Borough (1)2  Bath City (1)1 Empty Re: Hampton & Richmond Borough (1)2 Bath City (1)1

Post by comrade powell Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:04 am

Thanks, KK, a very fair assessment of a very frustrating afternoon. Yes, the ref did make some odd decisions, but two of the key ones went in our favour and we failed to take advantage of either. I complained after the Oxford game about our tendency to pass the ball endlessly around the middle of the pitch only to fail miserably when it comes to making the incisive move. The recent Euros underlined that having the majority of the possession means nothing.
Hopefully by the time the Beevers come to TP later in the season a club from a higher level will have snapped up the impressive Lowe. His was the best individual performance I've seen for some time at this level.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Hampton & Richmond Borough (1)2  Bath City (1)1 Empty Re: Hampton & Richmond Borough (1)2 Bath City (1)1

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:49 pm

Agree re Lowe. I think for the Chron it's standard to give a City player MOTM but I voted for him. He was superb.

The second half was the worst I've seen us play so far this season. It wasn't just that it was against 10 men and I appreciate Hampton are doing well, but there was just no-one able to play that telling pass to give us a sniff on goal. McCootie had that surging run and that was about it. We should have more goals to our name but in other games that's just be spurning chances. Second half there was barely a chance to spurn.

Which is odd because from what I saw of the first half (I was too busy faffing around with laptops for the first 20 minutes to notice what was going on) we looked fine.

Need to get Yuffie to ask his brother to stop saving penalties against us. He was in goal for Basingstoke against us last season where he kept out two tame Kington efforts. Murphy's was well-struck but too close to him. I don't get that excited anymore when we're awarded a penalty, and even less so if the opposition are down to 10 men..
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:24 am

Well said Comrade. I thought the game ran a pretty similar course to those involving England at the euros. In other words a deeply frustrating second half. Thought we looked excellent in the first half. I can't believe they were awarded a pen, but to be fair to them they looked a more secure outfit and did everything more efficiently than us.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:02 am

I have been away and missed the last 3 games but the problem of playing nice passing football in the middle third of the pitch and it all breaking down in the final third was a failing under Adie and Howells. Teams had plenty of time to get men behind the ball and frustrate.
It would seem that Gary Owers hoped he could turn Fleetwood into another Scott Partridge with a rush of goals at the tail end of his career but so far this is failing miserably. Don't understand why he brought in another full back when to me any resources should have gone to getting a striker, Dan Bowman may have some failings but don't think he is the biggest problem.
Lets hope things can get back track tomorrow, really like to see us stuff Gosport for a change.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:02 am

I wish I'd never gone now......I can't get that Nick McCootie song out of my head. 44 hours later, it's still there.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:43 am

comrade powell wrote:Yes, the ref did make some odd decisions, but two of the key ones went in our favour and we failed to take advantage of either.

Their penalty - I thought at the time it was. Watched it again and haven't changed my mind, needless trip from Artus in my opinion. The player was going nowhere.
Our penalty - I thought at the time it was 50-50. Watched it again and I'd say we're a touch fortunate. A bit shoulder to shoulder, again their player (Casey) didn't need to make the challenge.
Red card - I thought at the time it was. Watched it again and I think it's harsh. From where I was positioned, the player looked to have left the ground and launched into Ball. Seeing it again from another angle he's possibly been a bit rash, but has just tried to block Ball clearing, catching him on the follow through. Ref had a similar view to me, albeit a lot closer.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:31 pm

"Undoubtedly, however, the main taking point amongst the travelling City faithful will be the performance of the referee."

Not me - we've seen worse officials this season already. The main talking point for me was the growing frustration of the team not having an efficient penalty taker. The problem is not new. I would like this to be addressed, as a matter of some urgency by team management. Murphy, or somebody else, should be singled out (plus a deputy of course) to practise this important art before we run the possibility of throwing more points away. Besides the physical practising I think that it would be a good idea for the nominated penalty taker to be taught by talking regularly to our experienced goalie Steve P, who would surely be able to advise on what he looks at in the body movements of the taker as he runs up to strike the ball etc, in an attempt to disguise where he is going to hit the ball, as much as possible anyway. Failing that, it would be an improvement if the taker hits it harder!
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by cannonball Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:02 pm

SteveS wrote: Don't understand why he brought in another full back when to me any resources should have gone to getting a striker, Dan Bowman may have some failings but don't think he is the biggest problem.

Couldn't agree more with that Steve.....

Hickman not a bad player at all but Bowman gives us such a good attacking option out wide, I was quite surprised GO spent some of the 'Pledge' money on a full back and not a young talented goal scorer from a League club for 3 months. Someone quick and nimble to play alongside Morgan and/or McCootie to take advantage of the numerous 'flick ons' they are both providing this season. Fleetwood is just not the answer at all from what I have seen and the chances we are missing are costing us loads of points and are starting to drain the confidence of the rest of players after what was such a promising start to the season.
cannonball
cannonball

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:43 am

I like Dan especially going forward but not the best defensive right back I have ever seen. Good coming off the bench.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down