Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's your first eleven?

+10
Beau Nash
Roy D Hacksaw
kermit
Manchester Romans
BenE
yuffie
Luton Roman
LB
sned
Dusty Lynfield
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What's your first eleven? Empty What's your first eleven?

Post by Dusty Lynfield Wed 3 Aug - 20:15

Now the squad has been finalised (we assume), it's time to start speculating on who'll be staring at Margate. Normally Frankie and (to a lesser extent) Billy would be shoe-ins, but based on the latest news on their injuries, it's safe to say they won't be putting in an appearance. Here's my choice based on the 4-3-3 GO seems to like to play:

Phillips, Bowman (RB), Monthe (CB), Batten (CB), Rigg (LB), Hemmings (CM), Diallo (LM), Marshall (RM), Watkins (LW), McCootie (CF), Hutchinson (RW)

Going with a front line based on form....but I think GO will more likely go for Morgan over Hutchinson or McCootie......can't wait for Saturday!!!
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

What's your first eleven? Empty Re: What's your first eleven?

Post by sned Wed 3 Aug - 20:54

No Ball??

I would switch Ball in for Rigg.

It's good that we finally have strength in depth in certain positions (Central midfield and in attack).

I would consider Rigg ahead of Marshall or Diallo but its a good problem to have. Plus there's Elcock and Artus when he's back fit.

Up front, I think we'll start with the 3 you have stated above, but again we've got Morgan, Fleetwood and Shaquille Hunter to choose from.

Like I say, a good problem to have and makes a nice change to the slim pickings we've been used to recently!

sned

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield Wed 3 Aug - 21:10

Can't believe I missed Ball! He would probably be in for Bowman. I think GO will start with Rigg as a fullback,, and while I have preferred him in midfield, I think GO sees him as someone he can "rely on".
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Wed 3 Aug - 21:25

What a dreadful thought, staring at Margate!

Seriously though, as he has been made captain I would be very surprised if Ball didn't start, and I would be interested to hear the justification for playing Rigg instead of him. I got the impression that Rigg was signed mainly to play in midfield, but with the option that he could play at full back if we needed cover there.

As sned says nice to be spoilt for choice for a change instead of being unable to fill the bench as happened a few times last season.

I think goalkeeper and defence pick themselves, with Bowman and Ball as full backs and Batten and Monthe in the middle.

As for midfield and attack, this will obviously depend on whether we go 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 - I wonder if we might go for the former because Margate will obviously be up for it with it being the opening home game.

However, assuming it will be 4-3-3, in the absence of both Frankie and Murphy I would agree with a midfield of Chaz, Diallo and Marshall, although I think it is possible that Rigg could get the nod instead of Marshall. As for the front three I would go with Watkins, McCootie and Morgan, but I have a feeling that Nick might miss out in favour of Fleetwood.  

Will be interesting to see what Gary comes up with.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Wed 3 Aug - 21:27

Just to say I started my post before Dusty wrote his second one! Will be interesting to see what role Gary has in mind for Rigg.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed 3 Aug - 22:12

Yes good depth in the squad. Keeping them happy will be GOs challenge. Winning will help. If fit cant see Fleetwood not starting. Starting to get interesting !

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Thu 4 Aug - 9:34

I think picking a starting XI is as difficult as any recent season which (hopefully) suggests we have the strongest, well-balanced squad for quite a while.

Given that I think it is a simple case that how well we do depends on one (or more) of the strikers stepping up and scoring 15-20 goals. If that happens then a play-off challenge is possible. If not, then mid-table (or worse) beckons.

My expected team would be:

Phillips
Rigg, Monthe, Batten, Ball
Hemmings
Watkins, Marshall, Diallo (Murphy if fit)
Morgan, Fleetwood

Subs: Bowman, McCootie, Hutchinson, Hunter, Elcock (or Diallo)

If we play 4-3-3 then just move Watkins to the left or right of the front three.

though my starting XI would be:

Phillips
Bowman, Monthe, Batten, Ball
Hemmings
Watkins, Diallo, Rigg
McCootie, Morgan

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu 4 Aug - 13:32

Good shout for GOs favoured team there Yuffie.

Personally I think McCootie and Hutchinson have shown far more intent during pre-season than either Fleetwood or Morgan and I would love to see them start. I think they have the potential to get a decent return in goals.

Watkins has been lively and must start and Hemmings has looked very good as a sweeper as he did at the end of last season. really it is just two from the rest. I think Hunter is unlikely to start if Watkins does although I would like to see him on  the left with Watkins on the right and one of either Rigg Diallo Marshall or Elcock probably Rigg although he may start with Rigg at RB as Bowman is not fully up to speed fitness wise and so I'd have Diallo.

So Philips,
Rigg, Man Mountain, Batten, Ball, possibly swapping Ball and Man Mountain
Watkins, Diallo, Hemmings, Hunter,
McCootie, Hutchinson
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Manchester Romans Thu 4 Aug - 14:13

Start with...

Philips
Rigg Batten Monthe Ball
Diallo Hemmings Marshall
Watkins Morgan Fleetwood

...but bring on McCootie and Hutchinson for Morgan and Fleetwood after an hour. If we've got a lead to protect, I would then bring on Bowman for Watkins as the final change.

Manchester Romans

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu 4 Aug - 18:39

Manchester Romans wrote:..but bring on McCootie and Hutchinson for Morgan and Fleetwood after an hour.

What if Fleetwood is on for a hatrick?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Manchester Romans Thu 4 Aug - 19:49

That would be a nice headache to have!

Manchester Romans

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Thu 4 Aug - 23:11

Loving it!
We've got two key players injured but we can still discuss which players start and who should come off the bench.
Personally, I'd give Big Nick and young Hutch the start. They did well for GO at the tale end of last season.
Not sure that Fleetwood and Morgan would be happy on the bench but.....tough.......come off the bench and do the business.
Right....what colours on Saturday....B&W stripes or Red (presumably not light blue)
Anyone fancy a swim before the game?
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Fri 5 Aug - 11:10

Oh the away kit is a strange deep shade of light blue, if you can imagine such a thing. Not quite aquamarine, but scarcely sky blue.

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sat 6 Aug - 14:44

Well now we know! According to twitter it is:Phillips, Rigg, Ball, Batten, Monthe, Hemmings, Diallo, Marshall, McCootie, Morgan, Watkins. Subs are: Fleetwood, Murray (?), Hutchinson, Bowman, Hunter.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by sned Sat 6 Aug - 14:45

I wondered about Murray too. Thought perhaps it could be a typo of Murphy?

sned

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sat 6 Aug - 15:02

BCIR say it is Murphy.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat 6 Aug - 17:29

Can't argue with that line up. It includes Watkins and McCootie plus another striker and still looks decent in midfield.

Shame about the late goal. Be interesting to see the opinions of those who were there.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sat 6 Aug - 19:25

Draw would have been a fair result but we gave their no.11 too much space to grab an undeserved winner. Closest we came was when McCootie hit the bar from a Watto cross and Hemmings should have done better than blaze over in stoppage time.

My man of the match was Marvin Morgan, although Watto and Chas ran him close. Real handful for the full 90 minutes. Certainly looked more of a threat than in pre-season.

Bit of handbags between Owers and their manager after the goal and their supporters were a pretty unpleasant bunch but that aside we've had worse afternoons.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat 6 Aug - 20:56

What were the comments in the programme that sparked Owers?

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat 6 Aug - 22:10

He said that we did their utmost to relegate them and supposedly kept in contact on the bench with events at Havant to see what we needed to send them down.

The Owers interview isn't up yet, should be tomorrow.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat 6 Aug - 22:53

yuffie wrote:My man of the match was Marvin Morgan, although Watto and Chas ran him close. Real handful for the full 90 minutes. Certainly looked more of a threat than in pre-season.

He must have been very quiet in the friendlies then! A few decent passes, but offered virtually no threat in front of goal. For me, mom was easily Monthe - even the home supporters near me were praising him. Totally dominant in the air and one superbly timed tackle ended a very dangerous attack. As Benny suggested on another thread, the defence looks good with Rigg a promising addition. But the phrase 'toothless up front' could well apply again and I expect a different combination on Tuesday.

Another observation from my first sighting of the team is that if we are going to pack it with giants, the delivery into the box needs working on.

An excellent turn out of City fans today. I hope the coach journey back was straightforward after the hold ups suffered this morning. Margate away in early August is probably the worst trip on the roads.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sun 7 Aug - 0:30

Clear journey back - in Bath by 9.15.

Funny how we can see games so differently - I though Manny did okay but there were too many sliced clearances and headers straight up in the air for me. Agree that it was a great tackle in the second half and Chas did an equally good one in the first half.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Tanner Sun 7 Aug - 9:08

I thought it was quite telling when Diallo went off, he seemed to be in the thick of everything positive going forward.

After he was subbed there was no real link in midfield to the front men.

Also I don't think this number 17 likes us! Right at the end of the match he stopped a ball rolling back to Ball for a freekick and so he got some stick. Up came the middle finger and then again at the end of the match just to rub it in.

Every fan I seemed to meet there was a 'London wiseboy' who looked for a fight or to just jeer us for the sake of it. The club officials were pleasant though and I feel for their real supporters having their club's reputation tarnished every week. I don't think the cheap lager served throughout the 90 minutes helped at all!

I could go on about the altercations after the game or the abuse on Twitter but unfortunately I think this post is negative enough.
Mark Tanner
Mark Tanner

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun 7 Aug - 10:09

I am a bit surprised by Margate's attitude. Certainly everyone near me in the poplar stand was pleased Margate stayed up. They celebrated as much as we did and we didn't begrudge it.

Strange.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun 7 Aug - 12:41

Very surprised by the Margate manager's allegations. Of course we were trying to win that last game! Perhaps there was a feeling we would prefer to travel to Havant in the following season rather than Margate - maybe our club would but I can honestly say I've never had such a pleasant day at that soulless place as I did in east Kent yesterday, even allowing for the poor game!

Surprised by Mark's comments about their fans. Passionate yes, especially at the end when they stayed to celebrate and applaud their team. I clearly missed any unpleasantness and the home fans I sat near were very friendly and good humoured, especially about their team's shortcomings. I also met the famous Margate Banshee - didn't realise it was her as she was quietly spoken, but you could certainly hear when her team attacked!

Quite agree about alcohol being allowed on the terraces. I suppose it's the only way you'll get the lager brigade away from watching Sky in the pubs but if it causes problems it will drive others away.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next