Partick Thistle

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Partick Thistle

Post by Beau Nash on Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:32 pm

What a performance against a Thistle side containing at least seven first team players.

Nick McCootie, lean, mean and sharp, now a target man with power in the air and on the ground, just about shaded man of the match from Frankie Artus and the "new boy" Manny Monthe who alongside Jack Batten look to be a solid pair.

The "kids" can play; my only concern is will their slick passing and electric pace cope with heavy ground?  But a joy to watch today with Josh Hutchison scoring, albeit thanks to a ricochet off a defender; AND a goal to grace the Euros from Shaquille Hunter...curled it right footed from just outside the penalty area at the Bath end to the top right corner.

City have to be careful when passing at the back as three times back passes caused danger.

Gary Owers has worked wonders to have all the boys on such good form this early in the season.

Whilst this was meant to be a friendly it didn't lack commitment with a few tasty encounters.  I was slightly disappointed with Thistle as I expected more of a challenge, but that shouldn't detract from City's outstanding performance.

The pitch looked immaculate and played well for the type of football that ought to attract thousands to the other friendlies. 
Beau Nash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Partick Thistle

Post by Luton Roman on Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:27 pm

Before Martin steps in to say its all meaningless....if these games are played to improve fitness then might as well take a win to improve confidence, and McCootie for one is a confidence player, there will be others. Over 300 there which is ok and the Jags forum is in shock. The set of pre season results a year ago was good and then August was quite good ! Ive faith in Owers to get it right on the pitch and try to use his influence off it, though the training set up is a worry.

Luton Roman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS on Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:02 pm

Partick were so bad that they even managed to make Manny Monthe, easily the worst central defender to play at Twerton last season when with Havent, look reasonable.
We have some good looking young players but need to stiffen it up with some experience otherwise they will get kicked all over the place in Conf South with refs that give no protection.

SteveS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior on Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:10 pm

I think Monthe was at Hayes before the season ended.

Having watched teams being utterly hopeless with set-pieces for weeks at the Euros, it was pleasing to see us look dangerous from ours.
stillmanjunior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:58 pm

It's all meaningless! Very Happy
I suggested the other day that the likes of Partick would struggle to survive in our Championship. Considering their season begins in a fortnight and they've just been hammered by part timers with one training session behind them, would those who watched them give them any hope in League 2? Scottish football is appalling...
comrade powell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac on Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:36 pm

Thought it was a good run out.

Frankie looked sharp.

Not impressed with the new centre back on that showing.

Shame Fleetwood had to go early but he looked busy for his short time on the pitch

Thistle were very disappointing

pete mac

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by miker on Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:51 pm

If you go on to You Tube and search for Bath City vs Partick Thistle there is a video from Groundhopper which shows some of the match.

miker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie on Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:42 pm

Blimey I'd not realised he was the same player who been so poor in that Havant game.

Though I don't recall him being as bad for Hayes back in April

That aside I was very impressed with him today. He won practically everything in the air - given his size he ought to - but also looked comfortable on the ball and with reasonable distribution out of defence. He looked to be exactly the type of defender so many people have been crying out for.

It's easy to focus on one performance against us to condemn a player but if the only game you ever saw of Matt Coupe was the infamous Bedford game then you'd think he was the worse player to ever set foot on a pitch.

That aside, it was an interesting game. I can't imagine that was anything near Partick strongest line up as they were poor. They seemed to have about 30-40 plus players either kitted up or in tracksuits. I thought the returning players all performed as expected but didn't really get much of a feel for the new duo. Fleetwood looked to be a decent replacement for Pratt but hard to tell after only lasting 15 minutes and Rigg's role as full-back meant didn't have a great impact on the game.

Shaquille Hudson looks like an interesting player. Seems he was very highly rated at Rovers but disciplinary problems saw him leave. That was in December 2013 and apart from a spell with Mangotsfield in 2014 he seems to fallen off the radar since then. Great strike for the goal so if he is trying to restart his career he could be a real wild card. Though we need to get him some shorts that fit (unless with a name like Shaquille he favours basketball style ones)

yuffie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior on Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:20 pm

Seven goals scored and none conceded - we should wear that white shirt and red socks combination more often.
stillmanjunior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:40 am

When Cally played Rovers they were equally clueless yet performed well in their league that season. Do they treat these English games as a holiday? If not then you would have to say Scottish football is not up to snuff.
It was very enjoyable from a Bath City perspective. Players looked surprisingly fit although my impression of Fleetwood was that he was rusty. We looked immediately better when Hutch came on. Agree McCootie looked fitter but time will tell whether he produces on a more consistent basis. Took his goal well and we scored from a corner.
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:41 am

A post so good it went up twice and then I got redirected to a load of adverts.
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash on Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:01 am

From Bath City FC Facebook:

Many thanks to this Partick Thistle fan.
We responded to a 'ticket request' from a London-based Partick Thistle fan (as usual, just told him to pay in cash on the old-fashioned turnstiles). He sent this after the Partick game:

Dear Phil,
Son Harry and I came. Not the result we had hoped for or expected!
Thought you guys looked like a superb team. Defensively you were incredible. Four goals too. Gotta take my hat off to you. We had our first team on for the last twenty minutes and although we looked sharper, there was no way through.
Harry and I also enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and the civility of all your fans. Lovely to get a little round of applause towards the end of the second half, too.
If we ever get the chance to visit your lovely ground again, we shall take it.
Sincere thanks and best wishes for the season ,
Simon Dickson and son Harry

24 (Likes)

This is how football should be, competitive on the pitch, friendly off.
Beau Nash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:10 am

I am surprised they had the first team on - I thought they looked worse if anything. We had nearly all the triallists on by then and none looked uncomfortable.
If people remember when Cardiff came we couldn't get near the ball and they were in the championship.
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash on Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:31 am

Bath City v Partick video link:  https://youtu.be/FOsvrOGmb5U
Beau Nash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elmore James on Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:41 am

I thought Manny Monthe is the center back we're looking for. Pairs up well with Jack Batten.

Elmore James

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley on Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:00 pm

Scottish football outside of the Old Firm is no great shakes.

SteveBradley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt on Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:01 am

Won last night:

Betfred Cup - First Round

Airdrieonians 0-1 Partick Thistle

Colin Voutt

View user profile

Back to top Go down