Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Somerset Cup Semi-Final

+13
Dave
Marc Monitor
Skyblue
WARM PENQUIN
Eddie Hitler
yuffie
BenE
Mark Tanner
Luton Roman
Beau Nash
comrade powell
stillmanjunior
marquess of weston
17 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Somerset Cup Semi-Final - Page 3 Empty Re: Somerset Cup Semi-Final

Post by stillmanjunior Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:02 pm

comrade powell wrote:Moving the bulk of the tournament to pre-season would surely create more interest and provide an alternative to the meaningless friendlies.

Nail on head. Be amazed if it ever happened though. People on the Somerset FA clearly have it in their heads that a large majority of fans will gladly traipse out on a (usually cold) Tuesday evening to watch a near meaningless game, with the latter stages played when supporters are looking forward to a break at the end of the season.

Good luck to Taunton in the final (I don't even know who they're playing). Usually when we've played lower league teams in this they've resulted to booting us in the air all game, but our three opponents this season haven't done that.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:19 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:
Nail on head. Be amazed if it ever happened though. People on the Somerset FA clearly have it in their heads that a large majority of fans will gladly traipse out on a (usually cold) Tuesday evening to watch a near meaningless game, with the latter stages played when supporters are looking forward to a break at the end of the season. but of course, an end of season final is an attractive prospect for the tie and blazer brigade.

Good luck to Taunton in the final (I don't even know who they're playing). the mighty frome - my sleep was interrupted by car horns and rockets well into the night. from their website...

Frome Town 3 Odd Down 2 (After Extra Time) 2nd April 2014 - Posted at 22:50 Frome Town booked their place in the Somerset Premier Cup final when they will play Calor League Division One side Taunton Town but it took extra-time in order for them to beat Odd Down. The Robins didn’t get out of the blocks in the first hour of the game but eventually took the lead on 63 minutes with a well placed effort from Jon Vance however the visitors equalised through Kye Simpson with 10 minutes left which took the game into the extra time. Odd Down then took the lead through Ruaridh Kay 2 minutes into extra time but Frome upped the tempo in the second period of extra-time as Ben Thomson powered home an equaliser and then Vance scored a great penalty to give Frome the win.

the attendance was 156, which is surprisingly only 50 less than their average this season.

comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:42 pm

That must be the first time I've ever seen a penalty described as "great". He must have backheeled it or headed it or something.

That'll be a Huish Park final then no doubt. I remember they had one between Clevedon and Odd Down at our place before, dad had to compile a programme. If it's at ours the Somerset FA can pay my rent for a month if they'd like a programme.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:08 pm

This Saturday is "Grand National Day" so that will probably have a big influence on how many return following the Chelmsford game.  Neutral 

Hopefully everyone retained their FREE Draw AND £2 OFF Ticket and will go to the Hayes game?
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:47 am

I noted in the programme that Taunton's motto is Defendamus - let us defend. They actually defended very well and their No5 especially was a good tackling centre half who took no prisoners and was surprisingly quick (Wilson couldn't beat him for pace anyway), just the sort of centre half we have been crying out for.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:11 am

I dunno, Walsh has done really well since his return, Gallinagh is probably the most under-rated player at the club and Ball is a brilliant footballer.

I didn't notice any of their players being particularly stand-out but unless someone does something out of this world I usually don't. I actually forgot Nat Pepperell was playing against us.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:25 am

did he refuse to join in the goal celebrations out of respect to his former club?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:27 am

I doubt if any 'floating fans' were even aware this game was on. It will have no bearing whatsoever on Saturday's attendance.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:06 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:I didn't notice any of their players being particularly stand-out but unless someone does something out of this world I usually don't..

I just noticed we didn't have a single shot on target and indeed very few off target apart from Stearn's that went out for a throw in.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3