Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Somerset Cup Semi-Final

+13
Dave
Marc Monitor
Skyblue
WARM PENQUIN
Eddie Hitler
yuffie
BenE
Mark Tanner
Luton Roman
Beau Nash
comrade powell
stillmanjunior
marquess of weston
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Somerset Cup Semi-Final - Page 2 Empty Re: Somerset Cup Semi-Final

Post by Skyblue Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:20 am

Free video (unedited) for anyone that wants it, although the players will probably club together and pay me to delete it Shocked

Skyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:45 am

Absolutely no one from the Bath side got anything out of the game, least of all the management.

If they haven't learnt by now that you cannot have Burnell Connolly and Keats in the same team then they are looking for the wrong things. It didn't matter who was on the ball they had no outlets.

Neither goalkeeper had a shot to save in 90 minutes. If we can't try out youngsters in a game like this they when will they be given a chance?

If the Bishop's Sutton comment above is true then it is a sorry state of affairs.

Thank you Custodian Moore for putting us, and most notably the players, out of our misery.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:11 pm

As a gesture of contrition perhaps the squad who played and were paid to do so would like to donate a reasonable sum, say £10 each, to charity - http://www.foreverfriendsappeal.co.uk/ - is one of our causes.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie Hitler Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:31 pm

Poor performances all round and seemingly poor tactics from management, with no plan B. I can't believe we reverted to the long-ball hit-and-hope game against a team from a lower level.
No disrespect to Taunton who were well-organised, disciplined and motivated, unlike City. Having said that, it didn't look like they were ever going to score, which is why I'm frustrated that we couldn't manage just on goal, with players that are regular 1st-teamers (apart from two).
Wilson did nothing to excite me again, and Brown was full of errors. Keats is struggling to find form (due to the Burnell/Connolly midfield arrangement?), ans Stearn (as has already been said) couldn't make a good decision all night.
I know it's only Som. Cup, but when the team selection suggests we are going for the win, the loss is very dissapointing. I'm now firmly in the Powell "never again" camp.
Eddie Hitler
Eddie Hitler

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Tanner Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:21 pm

This Somerset Cup game has come at the right time for once. A decent chance to see the new lads and introduce them into a competitive game. The management went for a strong line up and should have come away with a good performance and you'd have thought all 3 points. At least Mellor is a game into his ban now!

It just ruins all the hard work put in to get people to come down to City. The fear is now that the crowds may reflect this on Saturday after people read these reports.

People will harp on about it's a mickey mouse cup and all but the fact remains that we lost, in a competitive game, to a lower league side with a near full strength side!
Mark Tanner
Mark Tanner

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:34 pm

I've never been so relieved to see a winning goal against us in my life. An extra half hour would have left me on the PA like Alan Partridge at the Country Fayre and I was seriously at the end of my tether having "KEEP YOUR GUARD UP!" "GET IT AWAY!" "LET'S GET SOME ATTACKING GOING!" "GET IT FORWARD" being said over and over and over and over again in the second half. At regular points they were one after the other with the wrong players being addressed.

As for the game, to me the players showed about as much enthusiasm as someone who'd been told in the last minute they'd been called in for a few hours of overtime. I really thought some would give a bit more, or are they going through the motions knowing they're staying/going at the end of the season? Certainly those that started should be capable of getting a result against a side two leagues below.

Although the fact that we haven't is something I can cope with. Didn't pick up any injuries and no extra-time which were probably two key instructions beforehand. It was more like a training session really. Neither side seemed particularly bothered that they're one step from playing Odd Down or Frome in the final (hardly gets the pulses racing) and we've probably missed out on about £20 of revenue.

The fact that under 100 City fans showed up (Champs League same night doesn't help), I produced a programme which took about as much time to do some ironing and players from both sides wandered around almost looking bored suggests this competition needs some serious revamping. The pre-season thing has been suggested before and it's a great idea, why don't they try it, just for a season? If it's rubbish go back to playing it spread about the year, usually on the coldest nights possible.

That reminds me, at least it wasn't cold...
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:35 pm

comrade powell wrote:
WARM PENQUIN wrote:
Stearn decided not to pass to other players first half and second half they responded by not passing to him. Best bit of the night was the loud argument between simmo and stearn about passing,  

surely not! no doubt his fan club will be on here very soon to reprimand you for such observations...  Shocked

That's a touch unfair. Many are supporters of Stearn but appreciate that, when he does get on the pitch, he is presently not making the right decisions about when to pass. Indeed, after his goal the week before last, it looked like he would never pass to anyone again. However, this could be as much attributed to the management not giving him much playing time - therefore leaving to try and impress when he is on - as to his greed.

Give him more regular starts and I expect you will find him linking up much more.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:06 pm

Mark Tanner wrote: At least Mellor is a game into his ban now!

He was on the bench chaff

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:08 pm

Marc Monitor wrote:
comrade powell wrote:
WARM PENQUIN wrote:
Stearn decided not to pass to other players first half and second half they responded by not passing to him. Best bit of the night was the loud argument between simmo and stearn about passing,  

surely not! no doubt his fan club will be on here very soon to reprimand you for such observations...  Shocked

That's a touch unfair. Many are supporters of Stearn but appreciate that, when he does get on the pitch, he is presently not making the right decisions about when to pass. Indeed, after his goal the week before last, it looked like he would never pass to anyone again. However, this could be as much attributed to the management not giving him much playing time - therefore leaving to try and impress when he is on - as to his greed.

Give him more regular starts and I expect you will find him linking up much more.

While I can understand people being frustrated with the management when they don't select the genius, it seems a touch unfair to blame them when they do and he plays badly!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:17 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:I've never been so relieved to see a winning goal against us in my life. An extra half hour would have left me on the PA like Alan Partridge at the Country Fayre and I was seriously at the end of my tether having "KEEP YOUR GUARD UP!" "GET IT AWAY!" "LET'S GET SOME ATTACKING GOING!" "GET IT FORWARD" being said over and over and over and over again in the second half. At regular points they were one after the other with the wrong players being addressed.

Aw! Poor Al F, he was very frustrated as were we all. The relief of no extra time of that dross was why everyone cheered...

stillmanjunior wrote:...The pre-season thing has been suggested before and it's a great idea, why don't they try it, just for a season? If it's rubbish go back to playing it spread about the year, usually on the coldest nights possible.

That reminds me, at least it wasn't cold...

...and you said you have no sense of humour, made me Laughing
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Peteboa Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:48 pm

comrade powell wrote:
WARM PENQUIN wrote:

sorry it was such a miserable night for the loyal fans who braved it (and missed 2 excellent games on tv for their troubles). i gave up on this competition after a pathetic display at frome a few years back and have never once regretted it.

A rather silly post. And yep, strangely, unlike you, I am indeed in the fan club of our top scorer!

How sad that instead of celebrating an amazing player like Stearn, some are sat poised to criticise his every
last mistake because they dislike his personality.

Tragic really.

I saw Bradford Town win 3-0 away at Almondsbury last night as like you I couldn't face a meaningless game at Twerts.
Bradford's team are full of potty mouthed, arrogant characters as Keynsham's own M Tanner will tell you, thankfully
though points aren't dished out for being well mannered and they have all but sealed their promotion now Smile
Peteboa
Peteboa

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:13 pm

But your response proved my point! I couldn't care less about the genius's personality if he delivers. Unfortunately that's not often enough and even you would surely agree with that. But of course, it's all the management's fault...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Peteboa Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:42 pm

He delivers "Not often enough"?!! ............ he's our top scorer?! I honestly think you are winding us up. So you must be utterly appalled by our other attacking players then?

How does Josh Low sit with you for example?!

talking of delivery..his was pretty good for the opener on Saturday I noticed, still better focus on the negatives from last nights somerset cup game  Rolling Eyes 
Peteboa
Peteboa

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:59 pm

you keep throwing out this stat that's he's our top scorer (which he isn't now but i accept that 12 goals from midfield is still a very good return) but eight of his goals came before the dorchester sending off - so since then he's scored one more than Josh Low and Dan Ball, and the same number as Noah Keats

i don't think anyone would say Low and Keats should be regular starters (and they've not been) so i don't think stearn's current scoring record really helps his case

i really don't consider there is anything controversial in saying that during the second half of the season stearn has not warranted a regular starting place and the taunton game was an ideal chance to show the management the form that he previously produced but instead we got a performance brilliantly summed up by warm penguin

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:34 pm

Peteboa wrote:He delivers "Not often enough"?!! ............ he's our top scorer?! I honestly think you are winding us up. So you must be utterly appalled by our other attacking players then?  the only winding up I've detected is your describing him as a genius and my constant reference to it since. sorry!

How does Josh Low sit with you for example?!  as he is a product of the club's policy of recruiting ex pros which i oppose for several reasons, i have always felt uneasy about him. as yuffie points out, he has made fewer appearances than stearn and like him, is terribly inconsistent. for me, his strength is in the area, as he is capable of turning half chances into goals. but of course, he doesn't score enough of them.

talking of delivery..his was pretty good for the opener on Saturday I noticed, still better focus on the negatives from last nights somerset cup game  Rolling Eyes and where have i focused on the negatives from last night? - i don't comment on games i don't attend. i don't know if you were at sutton - yes a decent cross for the goal in amongst the usual curate's egg - long periods of doing nothing, coupled with the tiresome rants at team mates.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:36 am

Mark Tanner wrote:This Somerset Cup game has come at the right time for once. A decent chance to see the new lads and introduce them into a competitive game. The management went for a strong line up and should have come away with a good performance and you'd have thought all 3 points. At least Mellor is a game into his ban now!

It just ruins all the hard work put in to get people to come down to City. The fear is now that the crowds may reflect this on Saturday after people read these reports.

People will harp on about it's a mickey mouse cup and all but the fact remains that we lost, in a competitive game, to a lower league side with a near full strength side!

I fear you have a point Mark - I was just going to say the same. People will read in Thursday's Chronicle that we lost to Taunton despite fielding ten 'first teamers' and will not be amused. I know that I will be ribbed at skittles by my rugby following team mates, and it will be embarrassing. What a great opportunity lost to gain some silverware this season.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:47 am

And just a final word on Ross, as his name has come up on this thread. He is basically a mid-fielder who scores quite a few goals., so 12 is pretty good. As a mid-fielder he has been involved in quite a few assists, so he is quite an asset isn't he? Yes, he is raw, but, as Pete (I think) has said, he would naturally integrate into the team's flow of play more if he played more minutes more often - or are the training sessions inadequate?!
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:12 am

Midsomer-steve wrote:
Mark Tanner wrote:This Somerset Cup game has come at the right time for once. A decent chance to see the new lads and introduce them into a competitive game. The management went for a strong line up and should have come away with a good performance and you'd have thought all 3 points. At least Mellor is a game into his ban now!

I fear you have a point Mark - I was just going to say the same. People will read in Thursday's Chronicle that we lost to Taunton despite fielding ten 'first teamers' and will not be amused. I know that I will be ribbed at skittles by my rugby following team mates, and it will be embarrassing. What a great opportunity lost to gain some silverware this season.

They need to get out more! My mates would probably think about ribbing me for this defeat, then remember they're in their 20s, not early teens, and work out laughing at someone because their team is out of the SPC means absolutely nothing in their lives.

116 in attendance suggests, even with admission prices slashed, proves that hardly anyone is remotely bothered over this being lost silverware. Plus points of the SPC - chance to try out the fringe/youth players and taking in a few new grounds. Plus points of winning it? Always nice to win something I guess, but presume there's no prize money. We don't go into Europe, we won't be given 10 bonus points in the league and the gate receipts from a final wouldn't stretch further than buying the players a couple of pints each.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Tanner Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:43 am

Cheers for that Palmer, I've amended the Mellor bit in my article.

And Mark I don't agree with you there. It is embarrassing to lose to a team 2 leagues lower than you especially when neither team played well and you're playing a first team. There wasn't many missing from that line up (Mellor, Watkins, Allen and Adlesbury). I'd like to think Keats, Wilson, Burnell, Low and the two new lads can play at a higher level than Southern League South and West!

The floating fans won't be impressed and I hope the players and manager are hurting. If they're not they shouldn't be pulling on the shirt this Saturday. When you cross that white line to play any game for Bath City FC or Norton Nomads FC then you have to want to win, if not then you shouldn't be playing the game!

If yourself, Adie and Arch feel that strongly about it being a micky mouse cup then pay for us to pull out of the competition. The Somerset FA may not be the most professional organisation but it's where we're from.
Mark Tanner
Mark Tanner

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:50 am

if you're right I guess it may explain why are crowds have stagnated - if a floating fan comes down and sees a good game like the Chelmsford match but then reads we've lost to havant (which I think someone equally bizarrely, to my mind, suggested would have this effect) or taunton then decides not to come back until we win almost every game we've no chance of increasing the crowds in the long term

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Tanner Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:08 am

It's the manner of the loss to Taunton. All the talk on here suggests that it was the worse City performance in some time considering the team we put out. Even worse is that both teams had a bad game, no one played well by all accounts!

A cheeky little 3-0 win would do no harm at all leading up to the game this weekend, but a 1-0 loss from an on target back pass, from a player who has played hundreds of games for the club, with a keeper on loan from the Championship in the 90th minute. Now that is hard to take!

I can't believe some fans are so flippant to a defeat for the first team. This sort of attitude doesn't paint the club in a good light. Bath have got a good reputation for passionate fans who back the team; that doesn't come across with some of these postings. But that's what a debate on a public forum is for.

I just hope if any new fans are reading this then they will come back this Saturday and use their £2 off and hopefully see a competitive game of football for 90mins
Mark Tanner
Mark Tanner

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:10 am

Am I the only person who wants to see the team he supports win in every game they play? I simply cannot accept the attitude 'it's only the Somerset Cup'. If the players turn out for Bath City then I expect them to want to win. If they can pick and choose when they put in a performance then so will fans.

mmm- I wonder if there's a correlation there with general attendances?

Looking at the bigger picture - losing to lower league sides in cup games has become a regular feature of watching Bath City. In my opinion this management team do not know how to go about beating determined but limited opposition.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:13 am

Mark Tanner wrote:It's the manner of the loss to Taunton. All the talk on here suggests that it was the worse City performance in some time considering the team we put out. Even worse is that both teams had a bad game, no one played well by all accounts!

Dan Ball and Simmo were excellent.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:06 pm

Mark Tanner wrote:
I can't believe some fans are so flippant to a defeat for the first team. This sort of attitude doesn't paint the club in a good light. Bath have got a good reputation for passionate fans who back the team; that doesn't come across with some of these postings. But that's what a debate on a public forum is for.

I just hope if any new fans are reading this then they will come back this Saturday and use their £2 off and hopefully see a competitive game of football for 90mins

I'm sure they will - the last 2 Saturdays have seen excellent performances from the team and I'd like to think that will have more influence than a county cup defeat. Let's face it, the majority of our regulars are not interested in it, the management's comments about it in recent years suggests they aren't, and those who attended Tuesday's match are implying that most of the players weren't either. It would be interesting to hear the management's views - none in today's Chronicle - but unfortunately it doesn't look like there will be a 'meet the manager' evening this season, which I feel is a PR blunder on the part of the club. As I've posted many times, the real fault lies with the Somerset FA who need to revamp their competition. An average of just 192 have watched our home ties in the last few years, the most damning stat being that just  241 could be bothered to turn out when we played in and hosted the final in 2008. Moving the bulk of the tournament to pre-season would surely create more interest and provide an alternative to the meaningless friendlies.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Somerset Cup Semi-Final - Page 2 Empty Somerset Premier Cup

Post by swjoduk Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:19 pm

Mark Tanner wrote:If yourself, Adie and Arch feel that strongly about it being a micky mouse cup then pay for us to pull out of the competition. The Somerset FA may not be the most professional organisation but it's where we're from.

Taunton fan here, delighted with the result and the chance to win some silverware.

I am sure I read somewhere, maybe on the Ciderspace Yeovil site when they pulled out that a club has to enter a team in the Somerset Premier Cup or equivalent of their affiliated FA to be allowed to enter the FA CUP/FA Trophy the following season.

So clubs have to enter it at the start of the season but there must be penalties for pulling out.

swjoduk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next