Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Havant game

+9
pete mac
Beau Nash
LB
yuffie
Midsomer-chris
kermit
BenE
comrade powell
marquess of weston
13 posters

Go down

Havant game Empty Havant game

Post by marquess of weston Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Team: Mellor. Simpson. Ball. Gallinagh. Burnell. Bowman. Keats. Connolly. Pratt. Watkins. Brown. Subs: Stearn. Low. Allen. Adelsbury. Wilson.

marquess of weston

Back to top Go down

Havant game Empty Re: Havant game

Post by comrade powell Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:44 pm

no wlashy. could be a big miss...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by marquess of weston Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:55 pm

Noah heads against bar

marquess of weston

Back to top Go down

Post by marquess of weston Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:30 pm

Havant hit post from free kick

marquess of weston

Back to top Go down

Post by marquess of weston Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:02 pm

1 down corner punched clear Mellor to edge of box, shot beats him

marquess of weston

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:21 pm

Can't anyone learn the plan B free kick since Gethin left?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:31 pm

sounds like after the exertions of Saturday there's no fuel left in the tank.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:39 pm

Lost 1-0
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by marquess of weston Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:40 pm

Ft lost 1-0

marquess of weston

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-chris Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:11 pm

Does the phrase "If it aint broke don't fix it" mean anything to our management ?
Was there any reason why we could not have started with the same team we started with on Saturday or was that just to please the home crowd ? confused 
Midsomer-chris
Midsomer-chris

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:13 pm

disappointing but i always feared winning all our remaining games would be beyond us

sounded like we played well in the first half but once the goal went in we came up short

just to say that the radio coverage was excellent - the first time i can remember it not cutting out once and andrew and Q were entertaining from the first whistle to the last - thanks guys

hopefully the team will keep playing for the final six games (not least because all being well i'll be at them all) and finish as high as possible - the season has been much better than last - which i am sure most people can see and focus on - and if we can keep the majority of the squad together then hopefully we'll continue to move forward on and off the pitch

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:29 pm

agreed. remember, chris, our players are part time and it's a huge ask to expect them to play twice in 3 days.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:00 pm

yuffie wrote:

hopefully the team will keep playing for the final six games (not least because all being well i'll be at them all) and finish as high as possible - the season has been much better than last - which i am sure most people can see and focus on - and if we can keep the majority of the squad together then hopefully we'll continue to move forward on and off the pitch

Have to disagree. If there is to be any point to the academy and under 21 teams surely now is the time to give the younger players like Gibbons and Ricketts a few games up to the end of the season - we all know what the current first team players are capable of, for better or worse. If the young players aren't going to get their chance now, it is difficult to see when else they will.

As for moving forward off the pitch, those who know my views about the current management won't be surprised about what I think the answer there is!

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:48 am

when i say keep playing, i mean still performing - i agree that it would be interesting to give a few academy players given a run out (though i also think it probably won't happen)

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:47 am

Midsomer-chris wrote:Does the phrase "If it aint broke don't fix it" mean anything to our management ?
Was there any reason why we could not have started with the same team we started with on Saturday or was that just to please the home crowd ? confused 

I have to agree. Adelsbury should have started unless he hurt himself making that diving save. (unlike oxlade-chamberlain legitimately).

Was Wlashy even there? Could he not get the afternoon off work?

However I can understand that the effect of playing two games in three days would have a bearing on the management's thinking. And being conservative away from home has paid dividends this season.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:16 am

there was a suggestion on the radio coverage that walshy's absence was due to family illness but I don't know if that was correct

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:21 am

BenE wrote:sounds like after the exertions of Saturday there's no fuel left in the tank.

First half we were almost as good as against Chelmsford.  We had three good chances but failed to convert any of them, the easiest being Noah's unchallenged header from a yard out hitting the bar.  

Second half was poor, we could hardly string a pass together.

Ross Stearn looked a shadow of himself from Saturday so even if he had started I doubt he would have finished the game although IF we had scored first it may have been the impetus needed to get a result...  

yuffie wrote:disappointing but i always feared winning all our remaining games would be beyond us

sounded like we played well in the first half but once the goal went in we came up short...

...and if we can keep the majority of the squad together then hopefully we'll continue to move forward on and off the pitch

Play-offs were never a realistic "goal" but...it ain't over til the fat lady sings.

We are short of two or three conference premier standard players if we want to be championship contenders for next season - how we can afford them is another matter.

BenE wrote:
Midsomer-chris wrote:Does the phrase "If it aint broke don't fix it" mean anything to our management ?
Was there any reason why we could not have started with the same team we started with on Saturday or was that just to please the home crowd ? 

I have to agree. Adelsbury should have started unless he hurt himself making that diving save. (unlike oxlade-chamberlain legitimately).

Was Wlashy even there? Could he not get the afternoon off work?

However I can understand that the effect of playing two games in three days would have a bearing on the management's thinking. And being conservative away from home has paid dividends this season.

Lots of very good questions...which can only be answered by management...

Last edited by davebart on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:38 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : excessive use of emoticons)
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:24 am

Phil Walsh's dad ill. See Chronicle.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Peteboa Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:22 pm

To be fair Havant have played 4 games in 7 days! so we can't use the fact we played saturday as an excuse. I know they have a bigger squad but we also made several changes yesterday. We started really well last night and looked the better team for most of the first half. I was again encouraged by how positively we started and got bodies forward at every opportunity. I'm always amazed by Andy Watkins - what a great player we have, I'm not sure how he hasn't scored more this season  Question  I would be interested to see video footage of Keates' missed header because it looked like a horror miss, and literally easier to score. His reaction afterwards would also suggest it was. We looked unrecognisable second half, and apart from a couple of corners and a decent attempt from Pratty we never threatened. We may well have deserved a draw on our first half showing but the old adage still remains and proved critical last night
Peteboa
Peteboa

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:56 pm

pete mac wrote:Phil Walsh's dad ill. See Chronicle.

Remarkable that in the circumstances Phil played so well on Saturday and was MOTM. Prayers that Alan makes a recovery.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:28 pm

Didn't Stearn come on after we were 1-0 down? I'll admit he isn't at his best when we are chasing a game.

Really strange the difference between first and second half. How does that happen? It wasn't as if Havant were fluent either.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:39 pm

I have to wholeheartedly agree with two of the posters who said a) that you can't use the fact that we played two games in three days as an excuse for losing - perhaps Havant stripped the fitter of the two teams on Monday by virtue of playing so often, which may indicate that there is something lacking in our fitness training? and b) that if it ain't broken don't fix it - I am not in favour of 'squad rotation' and I think we should always play our best players (thus gelling them to give them every opportunity of performing at their best), so, with the obvious omission of Walshy I believe we should have gone into that game with the same players that were so outstanding on Saturday whilst we still held that all be it slim chance of a top five finish to the season. Will those 'occasional' fans who we hoped we had 'hooked' on Saturday still come back for more now?!
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:02 pm

comrade powell wrote:agreed. remember, chris, our players are part time and it's a huge ask to expect them to play twice in 3 days.  

It should also be noted that this was Havant's 11th game this month. So not really an excuse.
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:51 pm

if anyone was impressed by the game on saturday but then read (assuming they weren't so taken with us that they travelled to havant) that we lost 1-0 two days later against a fellow play-off chasing side and has now decided not to come back suggests they weren't even remotely 'hooked' in the first place

the first half performance showed that the starting XI was more than a match for the one on saturday but to me it sounded like havant made a tactical change at half time that paid dividends quite quickly - they then didn't have to chase the game which was perfect for a side who have played so many games in recent weeks

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down