Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City V Maidenhead

+14
LB
Roman Mike
London Calling
Peteboa
comrade powell
sirkev
SteveS
the demon headmaster
Steve Whites Missus
pete mac
BenE
Luton Roman
Elmore James
2weirdtown
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

City V Maidenhead Empty City V Maidenhead

Post by 2weirdtown Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:49 pm

Glad I'm not going really, as this is going to be one tense one.  I know we always seem to do well against them but we're up against a manager who seems to know how to undo us.  Was at Hampton when they temporarily derailed our promotion push with a 3-1 home win over us.  Wasn't he at Braintree also?  Don't think we got any change out of them either.  Only just overcame Maidenhead at home this season thanks to Coupie.
We'll do well to get a point but I think we have enough talent to pinch a win.
Up the City.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

City V Maidenhead Empty Re: City V Maidenhead

Post by Elmore James Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:00 pm

I bet you're glad you didn't go now No

Elmore James

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:01 pm

Think its now Stay Up City please ! A 3 pt swing with our defeat and Weston winning. Artus to return and hopefully Watkins and Taylor not far behind. Last cards to play.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:10 pm

feel for those who went. Sounds like City never imposed themselves on the game. Too many loanees I guess and they're not going to run through brick walls for us - unlike the player mentioned in my previous post.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:16 pm

We have a very thin squad with a number of influential players out. But we have to make do with what we've got. Loan players will never be the answer in the situation we are in.

But we must keep it tight. That is 8 goals in three games conceded. We aren't helping ourselves.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:32 pm

Staying up looks much harder after today. With each game there's hope of a victory but it never comes. Monday now much more of a Crrunch than it should have been and will our young loanees be able to scrap for it?

Frankie and Watto will help

All we can do is turn up back the boys and hope.

3 wins in 29 games must be a Club record.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:40 pm

I don't think the loanees is part of the issue. They looked more up for it than some of the permanent players today.
Generally just not enough.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:40 pm

Good enough that is!

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:23 pm

We definitely do not have enough talent. We were awful against a good side today. Phillips in goal and a decent performance by Harvey were the only good points. The confidence was very low today.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:57 pm

Went today but to be honest wish I had not bothered. Could not really take any positives from this. There have been games when we have played better than the result suggests but this was not one.
Feel sorry for those who have had to endure so many away trips like this, they deserve better for their devotion to the cause.
Amazed that there are still a few who are only just realising the extent of the mess we are in. Badly need a couple of experienced 'battlers' but in reality this will not happen.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by sirkev Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:43 pm

Second best today and never really got going against a team playing with a lot more confidence. Not enough players willing to take the game by the scruff of the neck. The second goal was a sloppy one to concede and not sure if Phillips' view of the ball was obscured but he should have done better with the free kick. Having said that he made a couple of good saves to keep us in the game. The game on Monday is now massive given Weston's result today. I am hoping the return of Artus and Watkins will.make a difference

sirkev

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:24 pm

A spineless performance which has left us deep in trouble and it will be even deeper if Havant hang on to their present lead tonight against Hayes and St Albans continue their good run tomorrow against Eastbourne. A team which has gained three wins in 29 now has to probably win the same number in seven - a very big ask of a group of players whose confidence looks shot. How have we got ourselves into this dreadful position? I suppose those who hated the previous management will blame them, but are things really any better now? Yes, the new guy says all the right things to the Chronicle but I see little evidence of improved spirit when we fall behind, the chronic lack of goals remain and we continue to concede sloppy goals. I mentioned a few games ago that we had become harder to beat, but 8 goals conceded in the past 3 games suggests otherwise.

Yes, the number of loanees is a big problem, especially as at least two of them are nowhere near good enough for this battle. Murphy seems tailor made for our pedestrian midfield while Harvey, despite his goal today, is far too lightweight. Whichever league we are in next year and whoever is manager, a big rethink needs to take place so that we are never so short of players again. The link with the university has clearly not worked and an alternative policy is needed for our young players to be developed for the first team.

The return of Artus and Watkins can't come soon enough and while there's hardly a goal in him, the physical presence of McCootie might take some of the load off the ever dependable and hard working Pratt.

Yes, Steve, we deserve better. I hate to think what the mood was like amongst the large number travelling on today's coach - it was certainly sombre on the train back to Reading.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:40 pm

So who is the manager describing in the Chronicle..

"And just on the final whistle, one of our supporters had some comment about the game, showing an enormous amount of passion.

"The lads have seen that, and I'm pleased they've seen it. I want the players to show the same passion in the game on Monday.

"If we show that passion then we'll win."

And it mentions that Richards changed his mind about signing for us and has joined an American club!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Elmore James Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:57 pm

The last manager would have told him to go f themselves.

Elmore James

Back to top Go down

Post by Peteboa Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:05 pm

Agree with most of Powell's summary. We were p*ss poor today - no two ways about it and feel for the first time that relegation is now most likely. Tbf I felt the state of the pitch worked against us today and made it difficult for us to get our passing game going. I feel Pratt is immune from criticism because of his tireless running and admirable commitment - but in all honesty he has been sh*** for a while now. Time for Toots..
Peteboa
Peteboa

Back to top Go down

Post by sirkev Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:10 pm

comrade powell wrote:So who is the manager describing in the Chronicle..

"And just on the final whistle, one of our supporters had some comment about the game, showing an enormous amount of passion.

"The lads have seen that, and I'm pleased they've seen it. I want the players to show the same passion in the game on Monday.

"If we show that passion then we'll win."

And it mentions that Richards changed his mind about signing for us and has joined an American club!
Could have been one of many!!

sirkev

Back to top Go down

Post by London Calling Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:46 pm

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I spoke to Gary after the game and it seems unlikely Watkins will be fit for Monday.

I thought we were up against a good team today who showed why they're at the top end of this division later in the second half. They broke with pace and looked much more imposing in the midfield area.

Our loanees are trying their best but many are just too physically light weight for this league I feel.

Obviously a huge game on Monday now Weston will no doubt have their tales up and be smelling blood after their win today over Ebbsfleet. Our boys really need to show their made of in that game.

London Calling

Back to top Go down

Post by London Calling Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:49 pm

Just noticed some appalling spelling, grammar and punctuation errors in that last post, it's been a long day!

London Calling

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:43 am

I think we took the Johan Cryuff tribute too far.  We stopped playing in the 14th minute
I'm here all week

Last edited by Roman Mike on Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:29 pm

pete mac wrote:

3 wins in 29 games must be a Club record.

I remember back in the 1971/72 season City won their last league game at the end of February and lost the next 8 straight off (these did include 2 games against Hereford who were on their way to the Football League at the time) and then drew 1 of the remaining 4. In fact from 1st January to the end of the season they won just 3 league games out of 20, drawing 1 and losing 16 of the other 17. I don't need to tell you how that season ended!

As for this season, it seems hard to believe that 7 months ago today we demolished Havant and sat top of the table with those 6 wins out of 6. It all started to go wrong with the draw at Weston on the following Monday, so it seems ironic that Weston are our opponents again as we try to put things back on track. It is a massive game, and historically we don't generally do very well in those, but if there ever was a 'must win' this is probably it. A time to keep the faith, even if it has been shaken quite a bit recently.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:09 pm

Agree with the last post.

As fans all we can do is turn up, back the players and hope.

If we can sneak a win the mood will lift.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:26 pm

pete mac wrote:Agree with the last post.

As fans all we can do is turn up, back the players and hope.

If we can sneak a win the mood will lift.

Agree totally. Have to keep the support up to help get the team out of this.

Was stood near the team bench yesterday toward the end of the game and Gary Owers although frustrated hadn't given up. Was constantly advising, motivating, etc. the players.

We need to get the Dover / Ferriby atmosphere back from last season to drive home a win this Monday....

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:40 pm

Went to Paulton v Cambridge City in the Southern Prem (abandoned just after half time). Should've brought some of our players along to frighten them into staying up because with all due respect to Paulton it's dreadful. And I'm now sat in the bar surrounded by players drinking pints of lager. We cannot go back to this as a club.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:42 pm

Todays games are a mixed bag. St.Albans back from a goal down to lead 3-1 and heading level with us and 5th win in 6. Chelmsford losing. Basingstoke probably too far adrift to catch even us, winning 2-0 v. Oxford, good to see them in form as they have to play Weston twice.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by SASCHA Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:03 pm

Result -  St. Albans win 3-1

Don't do it Martin, it's only a game Cool

SASCHA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down